3 Days Swiss Flexi Pass for 6 days in Switzerland?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 May 2017 at 8:01:13 #811853

Hi all

For our first trip to Switzerland, we will land in Zurich and train to Interlaken immediately, then stay 2 nights there. On Day 3, we will train to Lucern to stay 3 nights. Then on Day 6, train to Vaduz, Liechenstein.

For our 6 Day/5 nights stay in Switzerland, should we buy the Swiss 3 Days Flexi Pass since we would be travelling on the trains for 3 days only? And on those days we are not on the trains, can we use the Pass to take buses, trams, ferry on Lake Lucern and to visit some museums,too?

kindly advice as i am totally lost – a 5 Day Swiss Pass or a 3 Days Swiss Flexi Pass is more suitable for us?

Also, is the train from Lucern to Vaduz covered under the Swiss Pass in the first place?

Apologize for so many questions at once. Appreciate any positive feedback … Danke!

Julia

Sunny Singapore

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    17 May 2017 at 11:51:57 #863452

Hi Julia,

Thanks for joining us! A Swiss Travel Pass Flex is only valid for the number of days you buy it for. It can not be used for anything on the remaining days. It’s not a good option for you because you will be doing day trips and visit museums on all 6 days I assume. The 8-day Swiss Travel Pass is a good option. It includes free train/boat/bus rides, many free museums, discounts on cableways (and some are free). The train and bus to Vaduz are free as well. Alternatively the Swiss Half Fare Card could work (50% off everything, museums not included). You will have to do the math to be absolutely sure about the cheapest option.

You do not need a SwissPass as that’s for Swiss residents only.

Please check the above links as they will clarify a lot I think. If not, just get back here. Feel free to ask.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 May 2017 at 12:42:36 #863453

Hi Arno

Guten Tag!

Really appreciate your prompt reply.

I have calculated the 3 Swiss train rides to total only CHF 157.

Hence, i think i would go for the 4 Days Swiss Travel Pass at CHF259 and use it from Day 1 to Day 4 consecutively.

Then for Day 5, its shopping day and exploring Luzern on foot. For Day 6, i would buy the train ticket for Vaduz separately, which is only CHF48.60. In this way, i reckon that its the most economical way, what do you think?

In fact, after one night in Vaduz, we would train to Innsbruck (3 nights), then to Bad Ischl (3 nights) and finally to Vienna (4 nights).

Though i have checked the Eurail 2 country Pass, ie 6 days in 2 months Flex, the quoted price was shockingly high!

Guess i would buy the Swiss Travel Pass for 4 days and Individual train tickets with Austria separately.

Appreciate if you do have other cost saving options to recommend me? Much appreciated for your precious time, Danke!

Julia

Arno
    15471 posts
    17 May 2017 at 12:52:41 #863454

Grüezi Julia!

That option sounds good to me. The only disadvantage is the fixed schedule you now have for day 5 and 6. If day 5 is a wonderful sunny day you’d probably rather do a boat ride or cableway trip than a walk in the city. But other than that this will work. Personally I’d do the math to compare with the Swiss Half Fare Card as well, but if you prefer the freedom and ticketless traveling of the Swiss Travel Pass then this is the way to go.

You can find purchase options for the pass and the ticket to Austria here:

More ways to save money are here: myswissalps.com/plantr ip/doityourself/savemo ney.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 May 2017 at 13:09:13 #863455

Could he also couple an HFC with a companion card for 38Chff? If so, wouldnt that permit travel/train at 50% for the HFC holder and travel by the companion at no extra cost beyond the 38chf?,

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 May 2017 at 13:20:50 #863456

Hi Arno

thanks for the links and suggestion about the Half Fare Card.

if i am not wrong, the Half Fare Card does not include Museums … but we are history and culture buffs, loved visiting art and natural history museums.

may i know in Luzern and Interlaken, are there some good Art and Natural History museums to visit?

Danke!

Julia

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 May 2017 at 13:31:00 #863457

Lucerne, Rosengart Picassos+skip interlaken and stay in Murren on a ledge about 1 mile above the base and using various transport-cogwheel, cable, etc. and walk down to grindelwald, and on another day take the train to the Jungfrauhoch, stopoff at Wengen, the counterpart to Murren on the other side of the valley

Depending on what you decide to do, you mightf inding buying point to point standard tickets for the swiss travel and an occasional attraction is far less expensive than a pass. The scenery is the thing.

Arno
    15471 posts
    17 May 2017 at 16:23:13 #863458

Hi Julia,

There isn’t a whole lot to see in Interlaken, it’s the surrounding region that is beautiful. There’s the Kunsthaus. I haven’t been there but it’s the only museum I know about in town. It’s free with the Swiss Travel Pass.

The Rosengart in Lucerne mentioned by Artnuvo is free too, as well as the Alpineum, Bourbaki Panorama, Gletschergarten, Historisches Museum, Kunstmuseum, Natur Museum and Richard Wagner Museum. The Swiss Museum of Transport (recommended) is 50% discounted. You can easily stay in Lucerne for two weeks if you want to see all the museums and the region too!

Arno
    15471 posts
    17 May 2017 at 16:27:44 #863459

Hi Artnuvo,

No, that won’t work. An additional 1-day travelpass is required too: myswissalps.com/forum/ topic/companion-ticket-pilatus-family-card.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 May 2017 at 1:02:44 #863460

Hi Arno & Artnuvo

Thank you both indeed for your precious comments and suggestions. You guys have helped me alot indeed!

After some research, i have realised that the Swiss Pass is great in covering both mountains Luzern (Rigi & Pilataus?) but only covers 50% for both mountains (Harder Kulm & Jungfrau) in Interlaken …

Nevertheless, i would go with my plans on purchasing the 4 days Swiss Travel Pass, leaving day 5 for visiting free sights and shopping in Luzern.

A thousands thanks to you all again, Danke!

Julia

• The thread ‘3 Days Swiss Flexi Pass for 6 days in Switzerland?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.