3 days Wengen: which rail pass & what to do?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 April 2018 at 17:26:16 #815563

We will flying into Zurich and staying in Wengen. We arrive at 8am on a Mon. and fly out Wed.at 6pm. Should we buy a 3 day rail pass or is it a waste of money to buy it for just 2 days, and just pay per trip. If I’m reading it correctly, it’s saying it’ll be 184 to go from Zurich station to Wengen per person r/t, but 220 for a 3 day pass? Plus, the 3 day pass allows for free travel and 1/2 price tickets? The 3 day pass seems like a no-brainer. What are absolute must-sees you would recommend based on our short stay? Thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    27 April 2018 at 21:04:36 #883411

Hello mobilepet and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

A 3-day Swiss Travel Pass looks good to me. Buy on-line and print at home before you leave then just hop on the train at Zurich Airport and off you go.

For highlights try http://www.myswissalps.com/on edayjungfrauregion and http://www.myswissalps.com/we ngen/activities.

Go one way via Bern and one way via Luzern between Zurich and Interlaken.

Mark
    Participant
    804 posts
    27 April 2018 at 23:48:48 #883412

Hi

without knowing your interests it’s a little hard to make suggestions. Since you will be in Wengen for only a short time, you may find it convenient to take the cable car from Wengen to Männlichen then take the short and very scenic walk to Kleine Scheidegg. At KS you can eat lunch and continue by train to Jungfraujoch or alternatively walk up to Eigergletcher or down to Wengeralp. Mark

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 April 2018 at 1:07:59 #883413

>> If I’m reading it correctly, it’s saying it’ll be 184 to go from Zurich station to Wengen per person r/t

The fare from Zürich to Wengen (one way) is CHF 84.40 if you go via Bern; CHF 65.40 if you take the more scenic route via Luzern. Return fares are double that.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 April 2018 at 2:20:01 #883414

Hi Themobilepet,

Yes, do let us know your interests – but perhaps you can find things that interest you on our what to do in and near Wengen page. There is too much to do there so you should have no shortage of options to pick from. Are you traveling soon? Later in the summer? In the winter?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 April 2018 at 20:21:56 #883415

Thank you!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 April 2018 at 20:23:20 #883416

Thank you. I want my husband, who is a big mountain guy, to experience a quaint swiss town, but I know he’s dying to see some good sights. We’re not so much into shopping, so more really beautiful sights is what I am seeking.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 April 2018 at 20:25:46 #883417

Travelling late may. We like hiking (but not extreme) and my husband loves mountains. Not really interested in any museums, any major tourist traps, just breathtaking scenery. I don’t want to go and then return and think, “why didn’t we go see x”

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 April 2018 at 20:26:24 #883418

Thanks

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 April 2018 at 0:23:09 #883419

Wengen was a good choice then. When looking at hikes from my last link note that ones over 2000 meter will probably not be open until mid June. You can reconfirm at the tourist office when you are in Wengen or Grindelwald though.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 April 2018 at 18:41:25 #883420

Does this mean on May 29th, we probably won’t be able to Hike Hiking from Wengen to the Kleine Scheidegg, Bernese Oberland?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 April 2018 at 23:14:31 #883421

>> Does this mean on May 29th, we probably won’t be able to Hike Hiking from Wengen to the Kleine Scheidegg

More than likely, yes. (I am assuming you mean the hike from Männlichen to Kleine Scheidegg, rather than also including the demanding hike up to Männlichen from Wengen.)

One of the forum experts on Wengen, Kim, says she has never seen the Männlichen-Kleine Scheidegg walk open before 12-15 June. See her post of Jan 16, 2018 – 6:28 AM on the following page:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/traveling-to-berner-oberland-in-late-may

The gondola from Grindelwald Grund to Männlichen will recommence operations on 26 May, so you will be able to get up to Männlichen for the views.

You will have to go down the same way though (if the hike is still closed), as the cable car from Männlichen down to Wengen does not reopen until 1 June 2018.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 May 2018 at 16:25:07 #883422

Lucas, Would we be better off with 3 day pass or just buying individual tickets if we plan on the following?

If we do this trip, .we arrive Zurich. Take train to Wengen.

If we spend one day going up on the aerial cableway to Mannlichen,walk to Kleine Scheidegg,have food,walk down to at least Wengernalp or further(under the face of the Jungfrau..I love this part) , then I’d take the train or walk back down to Wengen. Then take train to Lauterbrunnen and visit the Trummelbach falls.

Day 2 – take the train the “long way” to Grindelwald over the Kleine Scheidegg route(or the lower route via Lauterbrunnen which is cheaper),then take the gondola to First and walk to Bachalpsee/ then take the gondola from Bort to Grindelwald.

Day 3 – lakes at Interlaken then train to Zurich.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    13 May 2018 at 1:13:35 #883423

<<“f we spend one day going up on the aerial cableway to Mannlichen,walk to Kleine Scheidegg,”>

Probably, almost certainly, cannot.

Please read the earlier posts in the thread.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 May 2018 at 1:22:31 #883424

Yes, I would buy the Swiss Travel Pass for those 3 days – almost certainly worth it.

To be sure though read our page here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/train/ticketspas ses/practical/choosera ilpass

• The thread ‘3 days Wengen: which rail pass & what to do?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.