3 days in Wengen in October planning & suggestions

• jatinsmehta
    Participant
    114 posts
    20 June 2018 at 5:09:06 #816768

Dear friends, planning to spend 3 full days & nights in Wengen in 1st week of October. Need your help in planning all these 3 days.

Day 1 :Covered entirely by Swiss travel pass (i assume)

Take train from Wengen to Lauterbrunnen.

From Lauterbrunnen take cable car to Grutschalp.

Walk from Grutschalp to Murren. It is an easy walk

Take the cable car from Murren to Schilthorn.

Spend some time at Schilthorn.

Take cable car from Schilthorn to valley floor at Stechelburg.

Walk or take bus from Stechelburg to Trummelbach Falls.

From Trummelbach Falls walk back to Lauterbrunnen or take bus.

On our way you will see the impressive Staubbach Falls.

From Lauterbrunnen take train to Wengen.

Day 2: Not sure weather covered by swiss travel pass.

Cable car from Wengen to the Männlichen, hike to Kleine Scheidegg or

Take the cable car from Wengen to the Männlichen, then take the little gondolas down to Grindelwald. Walk around and then take the cable car to First. Catch the train back to Wengen

Day 3 : Need your inputs on how to utilize most of the time.

Thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 June 2018 at 15:37:35 #888865

Day 1: You assumed correctly. 🙂 But don’t assume – always check the Validity page and map here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/swisstravelpass/ validity

Day 2: You’ll see those trips on the map are dotted and therefore 50% off with the Swiss Travel Pass.

Day 3: Depends on your interests. Our suggestions for the area can be found here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/jungfrauregion/a ctivities – too much to choose from! 🙂

jatinsmehta
    Participant
    114 posts
    20 June 2018 at 17:00:14 #888866

Thank you Lucas,

I’ll surely check the validity.

Planning lake thun, lake brienz, harder kulm on the 3rd day – how does it sound, any other suggestions, based on your experience.

jatinsmehta
    Participant
    114 posts
    20 June 2018 at 17:02:33 #888867

Kleine Scheidegg to Wengen is only 25% discount – correct?

What about Grindelwald to Kleine Scheidegg – 50%

Map is bit complicated

Arno
    15478 posts
    20 June 2018 at 17:55:08 #888868

Hi jatinsmehta,

Grindelwald to Kleine Scheidegg, and to Jungfraujoch is also 25% off. Everything else is either free or 50% discounted. Be sure to zoom into the map for a better view.

jatinsmehta
    Participant
    114 posts
    20 June 2018 at 20:38:32 #888869

Thanks Arno…. Awaiting suggestions for 3rd day based on your wonderful experience

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 June 2018 at 5:36:42 #888870

Did anything on our list of suggestions interest you for day 3? What are your interests / thoughts on what you’d like to do?

jatinsmehta
    Participant
    114 posts
    21 June 2018 at 13:57:25 #888871

Lucas.

I’ll put in a different way, I would have done vineyard,chilling castle at Montreux, KM & Gornergrat at Zermatt, Schilthorn, Stanserhorn, Grindelwald,Titlis, kleine schneidgg, lauterbrunnen valley, harder klum,boatrides at lake Geneva & lake lucerne

So ,now apart from Jungfrau,what do you suggest should be included in my trip – should be around Wengen?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 June 2018 at 16:43:38 #888872

Ok, so I’ll guess you aren’t interested in any more mountains? I can’t tell if, because you have planned many mountain trips earlier in the trip and think you’ll be tired of them and want something else to do… or you have planned many mountains trips, think you’ll love them and want to plan more.

I’ll guess you want something other than mountain trips…Hiking maybe? more active sports perhaps?

There are some more extreme sports available if that interests you? Whitewater rafting, paragliding or canyoning. All noted here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/jungfrauregion/a ctivities.

Or go up to First from Grindelwald and walk to lake Bachalpsee (https://www.myswissalp s.com/hiking/bachsee) a very nice hike.
    or try out the First Flyer?

jatinsmehta
    Participant
    114 posts
    21 June 2018 at 17:38:47 #888873

Grindelwald,first & hike from Mannlichen to Kleine schneidgg will be done on 2nd day as per my 1st post.

Most of the important mountains too will be visited as per my last post, unless you suggest some must do places in Wengen area.

Not interested in extreme sports as kids aged 6,10 will be with us.

Thanks

Arno
    15478 posts
    21 June 2018 at 17:48:07 #888874

Hi Jatinsmehta,

Ok, so you’re all set I think? Be sure to keep an eye on the weather. One needs to be flexible in the mountains as going up into the clouds or rain is not useful (no views). Hopefully you’ll have glorious weather only!

jatinsmehta
    Participant
    114 posts
    22 June 2018 at 4:03:37 #888875

Hi Arno,

Yes, trip seems almost planned out…Will surely check weather before visiting mountains.

Just not able to figure out 3rd day of Wengen – that’s the reason asked for the help of you guys

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 June 2018 at 6:33:28 #888876

On day 2 you talked about the hike from Männlichen to Kleine Scheidegg or going to First. My thinking is you wouldn’t do both in one day so whichever you don’t do you can do on day 2 you can do on day 3.

The kids will like the First Flyer though the minimum weight is 35kg I believe. The Trotti bikes are a good alternative. https://www.jungfrau.c h/en-gb/grindelwaldfirst/tr ottibike-scooter/

If you want to get out of the mountains for a day have a look at the Ballenberg Open Air museum near Brienz.

jatinsmehta
    Participant
    114 posts
    22 June 2018 at 7:08:52 #888877

Hi Lucas.

I assume the hike from Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg takes about 2 hours & Wengen to Mannlichen another 30 mins or so, so If i start early, say by 9.30 AM, i’ll finish by noon & I’ll get plenty of time to visit Grindelwald & First on the same day itself – your opinion please.

Day 3, still left, in that case

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 June 2018 at 7:32:14 #888878

Sure you could try to do both in one day – It all depends on how much time you spend on the hike (stopping, taking photos resting etc.) and if you stay at the top for a bit before going to Grindelwald and First.

You didn’t mention BallenBerg. 🙂 Not interested?

Are you looking for a hike that day? a museum? a chocolate factory trip for the kids somewhere? How far are you willing to travel by train that day or do you not want to go far from Wengen?

jatinsmehta
    Participant
    114 posts
    22 June 2018 at 7:40:54 #888879

Lucas,

Chocolate factory at Broc would be visited from Montreux, Is there any other choc factory to be added to the list of must see?

Haven’t thought about Ballenberg (will the kids enjoy ?), combined with a lake Brienz boat ride .

I’ll be having 8 day Swiss pass, so I can travel to any distance, but the question is where ?

Do you wish to me my itinerary ? so you can suggest accordingly.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 June 2018 at 7:47:19 #888880

Just trying to figure out what you want to do.

did you check out the link for Ballenberg I gave you? I think the kids would like it.

There is the Funky Chocolate Club in Interlaken. I don’t think it is a must-see but if your kids loved the chocolate factory at Broc I’m sure they would be ok with another chocolate experience. You can decide on the day.

Also check out Schynige Platte if you’d like a mountain trip that day. https://www.myswissalp s.com/schynigeplatte

jatinsmehta
    Participant
    114 posts
    22 June 2018 at 8:19:23 #888881

Will check, thanks a ton Lucas

• The thread ‘3 days in Wengen in October planning & suggestions’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10940 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.