Itinerary fine tuning for 3 night stay at Wengen

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 August 2018 at 17:31:34 #817740

Hello Lucas,

Appreciate your help on this:

We are a family of 4 (2 adults & 2 kids) arriving from Zurich Flughafen to Wengen by train (via Luzern) end of next week. Our flight from Rome arrives Zurich by 4:25pm and hoping to catch the train at 5:47pm from Zurich airport (via Luzern) so as to arrive Wengen before 10:00pm and if there are any any unexpected arrival delays, we will be taking the immediate next train at 6:47pm and in which cae, we will be arriving Wengen before 11:00pm. (Just an FYI, I have already booked the train tickets (24 hour validity) using the Swiss Half Fare card).

A couple of questions:

1) Is it a good idea to take the train all the way to Wengen (4 chnages) relatively that late night? Just from a safety perspective being a first time visitor to that place. Appreciate your views/recommendations.

2) Would you suggest any better alternatives if train is not a preferred option through out (probably, a taxi from Lauterbrunnen to Wengen?). (Just an FYI, I have already booked the train tickets as above but I am open to take your advice).

3) Staying in Wengen, we are planning to visit Schilthorn and Jungfraujoch, explore other sight seeing pkaces in and around Wengen/Interlaken by taking any train/boat, etc. If we we are visiting Schilthorn and Jungfraujoch, not sure if we would be needing a full winter gear (winter jacket, winter shoes, gloves/mittens, etc). Just to make sure we dress up well and according to the weather conditions.

4) Also kindly advise what’s the best itinerary we can have during the 2 full days of our stay (after our late night arrival on day 1) in Wengen besides visiting Schilthorn/Jungfraujoch.

5) We are staying in Luzern on Day 4 after leaving Wengen and are planning to explore Mt. Tilts and or Mt. Pilatus before heading out to Zurich on Day 5 early morning.

6) Last but not least, we are vegetarians and any suggested (Indian) restaurants in and around Wengen and also in Luzern.

Look forward to your detailed reply,

Thanks again,

K

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 August 2018 at 7:38:07 #893606

Hi K,

1. Safety-wise night connections should be any problem. You will probably only have 5 to 10 minutes to wait at the station for the next train connection and Switzerland is a very safe country.
    2. Wengen is a car-free town so a train is the way to go here and always the preferred method in Switzerland. 🙂
    3. No winter gear is needed. Have a sweater on you and a rain or wind jacket as well just in case, but dressing in layers is key.
    4. We don’t create itineraries here, but for more ideas on what to do in the Jungfrau region look here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/jungfrauregion/a ctivities & use the Swiss railways timetable here to plan out any trips: https://www.myswissalp s.com/timetable
    5. Sounds good, but it will be a busy day to travel from Wengen to Lucerne and visit both mountains though. I’d go to Lucerne train station, leave luggage in a locker and go straight to the mountains. You might find that you only have time for 1 mountain though, depending on how early you leave Wengen.
    6. I don’t have personal recommendations for Indian food in either town. Another member might! Lucerne has several options, Wengen will be more limited. I have heard of the Golden India in Wengen. Try also searching our website for Indian or vegetarian restaurants as there are posts about it.
    Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 August 2018 at 3:51:36 #893607

Thanks so much, Lucas!.

Very useful information.

• The thread ‘Itinerary fine tuning for 3 night stay at Wengen’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.