4 day trip with Nottwil near Lucerne as a base

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 September 2017 at 11:52:44 #813214

Hello,

So finally I have visa and transport arrangements in place but still some doubts are left regarding how to make the most of time available to us. Details are as below :-

Following are fixed

1- Arrival at Geneva CFF on 04/10/2017 – 1215 Hrs (from Paris Gare de lyon)

2- Staying in Nottwil, Lucerne on 04,05 & 06 night

3- Leaving from Lausanne on 07/10/2017 – 1823 hrs (for Paris)

Plan for sightseeing is as following (needs suggestions and fine tuning):-

Take a 4 day continuous swiss travel pass for all the travels

1- 04/10/2017 – Arrive at Lucerne from Geneva Via IC, put luggage in Lucerne station locker (or in Notwill AirBNB if check-in before 1700 Hrs is allowed ) and visit Mt. Pilatus. Return in evening to Nottwil.

2- 05/10/2017 – Leave as early as possible for Mt. Titlis and return by 1400 or 1500 Hrs. Then move to Zurich and if possible visit Rhine falls (Not the full tour upto what is covered by swiss pass). Evening in city walking and returning as late as possible to Nottwil.

3- 06/10/2017 – Leave as early as possible for Klien Matterhorn. Return by 1600Hrs to Lucerne and walking tour of Lucerne and if possible lake lucerne. Then return to Nottwil.

4- 07/10/2017 – Leave by 1000 Hrs to Lusanne. Deposit luggage in Baggage boxes and leave for Geneva through lake Geneva (whatever stretch possible). Visit Geneva then return for onward journey for Paris.

Alternatively if possible visiting Zurich on 04/10/2017 and visiting Titlis and Pilatus on same day If possible.

My doubts/ queries :-

1- Leaving all the scenic trains (GP line or Bernia express) am I missing significant part of Switzerland on my trip?

2- If alternate plan is possible can I take GP line to go from Montreux to Lucerne as it takes more time and I would be having luggage and there would be two interchanges. Or should I take the first stretch of GP line from Montreux to Zweisimmen. And IC to Lucerne or Zurich from thereon to save time

3- How late (night) can I reach Nottwil from Lucerne safely? What is the best way to reach Nottwil from Lucerne

4- How early can I reach Titlis and Matterhorn from Lucerne?

5- Is there some opening time and slots for Titlis and Matterhorn (Glacier paradise)?

6- Whether buying ticket online in advance for Titlis and Matterhorn is recommended or buying through counter.

7- If buying ticket online would that be cheaper and would that fix the date of visit? I wish to have flexibility to interchange 04/10 and 05/10 plans if required.

8- Suggestions about last day are requested as I have no idea what is the best thing to visit in Geneva or areas near Lausanne.

9- I intend to buy Swiss travel pass online and take print, would it be better to buy from Geneva CFF (as that gives map along with pass but would require time in the process) which is better.

10- Any other suggestion for modification of plan or anything that i should cover as per given travel plan.

Thanks & sorry for lengthy post.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7104 posts
    7 September 2017 at 18:52:14 #869603

Welcome to MySwissAlps, parik309!

Let’s have a look at your questions:

1. Yes, but you simply can’t see and to it all in 4 days. Picking a few towns and areas is more than enough for a 4 day visit. I’m sure you won’t regret whatever choice you make. Note that you schedule involves some very long days, especially day 3 all the way to Zermatt/Klein Matterhorn. I’d strongly recommend to stay closer to Lucerne instead, or maybe visit the Jungfrau region that day. Also, day 2 is very full with Titlis, Zurich and the Rhine Falls. I’d focus on Titlis and the Lucerne area and keep a city visit to Zurich as a bad weather option.

2. I’m not sure to which plan or for which day you propose the Golden Pass as an alternative? Please study our Golden Pass page and the timetable to find out what’s practical.

3. It’s a 20 minute train ride from Lucerne to Nottwil. Trains run until midnight. The timetable I provided shows all options.

4.Please see the timetable. Enter “Kleintitlis” to find details about the Titlis trip. As for Klein Matterhorn: it’s a 4 hour trip from Lucerne, so as suggested before I’d skip this.

5. You’ll find links to the mountain timetables under “More on other websites” at myswissalps.com/kleinm atterhorn/gettingthere and myswissalps.com/titlis /gettingthere.

6/7. You can buy tickets at the counter. That way you can wait and see if weather is good enough to actually go up. Tickets bought online for these trips can have a fixed date indeed.

8. Tips can be found at myswissalps.com/lausan ne and myswissalps.com/geneva.

9. Yes, buying online is recommended. That way you’ll avoid queues at the railway station and you can start using your printed pass right away. Also, you’ll have an electronic back-up in case of loss or damage. Please see myswissalps.com/swisst ravelpass/price for purchase options.

10. Please see my earlier remarks.

I hope this helps!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 September 2017 at 4:18:36 #869604

Thanks Annika for valuable suggestions. With your advice and a little more search on time table final conclusion i reached is visiting Matterhorn is not possible(read very hectic) in a day from Nottwil. Hence modified itinerary is as following :-

1- On 04/10 -Arriving at Geneva and moving to Montreux then taking GP line all the way to lucerne. Checking in Nottwil and return to Lucerne for dinner. (since check-in time is after 5pm i thought GP line made more sense)

2- 05/10 – leaving early 7am for Titlis then moving to Pilatus return to Lucerne . Last connection from pilatus top is about 17:45. Spending 2.5 to 3 hours on Titlis and 1.5 to 2 hours on Pilatus. Hope that is enough time for the mountains.

3- 06/10 – Leaving early for rigi then rhein fall and evening in Zurich returning to Nottwil after dinner.

4- 07/10 – Leaving early to Lausanne from Nottwil. Depositing baggage in lockers and moving on for free tour to Maison Cailler. Then to geneva for quick visit to fountain and UNO (for few clicks) and return to lausanne by 6:00 pm for onward journey to Paris.

1- Only doubt is whether Titlis and Pilatus in a day is a good idea or not.

2- Since we are travelling by 4-day swiss pass should we try to visit Schynige Platte instead of rhein fall?

3-Suggestions on cheap food at places we intend to visit would be highly appreciated.

4- And lastly places with free toilets for our itinerary.

Thanks

Sorry for late reply as AirBNB messed up with my paris reservations so was occupied with that.

Annika
    7104 posts
    23 September 2017 at 18:04:43 #869605

Hi parik309!

Good that you’ve been able to make some changes to your schedule. Let’s look into your questions:

1. It’s certainly doable if you leave early and don’t mind returning late. Just make some back-up plans in case clouds block the views from the mountains. As for 07/10: this is a very full day with quite a bit of backtracking. You’d better take the most direct connection from Nottwil to the Cailler factory in Broc (enter “Broc-Fabrique” in the timetable), instead of heading for Lausanne first – it’s not on the route. After your chocolate factory visit you can head straight to Geneva for a short bit of sightseeing, and then catch the train to Paris from there. It wouldn’t make sense to get (back) to Lausanne to head for Paris there, as you’ll have to pass Geneva anyway. You’d best consult the timetable for all details.

2. Both the Rhine Falls and Schynige Platte are quite far off from Nottwil, and not easy to combine with a trip to Rigi on the same day. If I were you I’d focus on the Lucerne area instead.

3. Please see “Save on food and drinks” at myswissalps.com/plantr ip/doityourself/savemo ney.

4. There are free toilets in most trains. Toilet services at (larger) railway stations often cost CHF 0,20 or CHf 0,50.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 September 2017 at 7:54:25 #869606

1- Backtracking is because i wish to get rid of luggage first. Is it convenient to carry luggage and visit maison cailler or should i skip geneva all togather? Is there any place worth a visit near laussane provided the time i have and visiting maison cailler is must (for chocolate as souvenir).

2- Thats why i asked for suggestions if schynige platte is good enough to try over rheinfall? Moreover in case of Rheinfall we have alternate to visit zurich in case if we get late.

3- what is the best place in zurich to visit in evening and night time?

thanks again for quick reply.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 September 2017 at 9:21:42 #869607

Hi Parik309,

1. I don’t imagine it is convenient to carry luggage at Cailler but you could maybe leave it at a coat check or take it around with you to avoid the back tracking – up to you.:)
    2. Yes, I think Schynige Platte is a good alternative to the RheinFall – and much closer!
    3. Best place to visit in Zurich for what? I’m not sure what you are wanting to do. I’m not sure of any evening activities in Zurich other than exploring the old town after dinner or perhaps take a boat cruise on Lake Zurich – is there some activity/event you had in mind? Are you thinking about going to bars or clubs?
    Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 October 2017 at 2:08:40 #869608

looking for quick reply, can someone please tell me which part of golden round trip is not covered in swiss travel pass (4 day continhous) ..?

thank you

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    1 October 2017 at 8:29:15 #869609

quickly-

myswissalps-doc.r.worldssl.net/doc s/default-source/rail-network-maps/swisstravelsystem .pdf?sfvrsn=34

If you choose to make reservations on the special trains on the part from Zweisimmen to Montreux,

that is extra cost:

http://www.myswissalps.com/go ldenpass

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 October 2017 at 9:02:13 #869610

Sorry for not stating clearly golden round trip i meant for Mount Pilatus golden round trip not the golden pass line.

Additional for golden pass line, travelling from Montreux to Lucerne sitting left side would provide best views, is that correct.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 October 2017 at 9:13:08 #869611

HI Parik,

Both trips are covered by the Swiss Travel Pass – Golden Pass line (all of it) and the Golden round trip to Mt. Pilatus.

As Slowpoke mentioned reservations on the Golden Pass line are extra but optional.
    We think the right side is slightly better but not by much!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 October 2017 at 9:21:46 #869612

http://www.myswissalps.com/go ldenpass/gettingthere

On this link it says from Lucerne to Montreux better views are on right side in all three sections that means from Montreux to Lucerne it woul dbe left side that would have better views on all three sections.

How to identify reserved seats from non- reserved ones in case we don’t opt for reservations. Read somewhere they put some cover on head rest for reserved seats. This information i feel is missing on this site otherwise this is the most helpful site for swiss travel planning.

You people are doing great job.

thanks a lot

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 October 2017 at 9:48:10 #869613

I’m trying to recall how they do it on the Golden Pass panoramic trains…I think they have a note on the head rest as you said.

Other trains have a slip of paper above the window (or electronic board) that notes the towns that the seat(s) are reserved for (Montreux – Zweisimmen for example).

Either way there will be a note/sign for you to see. 🙂

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    1 October 2017 at 14:13:23 #869614

Hi Parik –

As you go from Luzern to the Brunig Pass, both sides have good views. Until you get to Stans, the views on the left toward Bürgenstock are better. If you look carefully, on a clear day, you can see the shaft of the outdoor elevator on Bürgenstock at the tip , and which is how you get to Hammetschwand.

Going up to the Brunig Pass, the view over the Lungernersee ( on the right) is better, then there is little difference after Lungern. From there most of the way to Meiringen, both sides are about the same, with maybe a preference for the left after you begin the descent.. On the last downhill straight stretch into Meiringen, the right side is better. The train reverses direction at Meiringen, front becomes back, and vice versa. As you go along the lake toward Interlaken Ost, , the left side (toward the lake) is better.

From IO to Spiez…the right side. toward the lake.. From Spiez to Zweisimmen, I don’t remember that one side is much better than the other. The special trains run from Zweisimmemn to Montreux. From Zweisimmen, and especially from Montobovon, down into Montreux is one of the nicest parts of the trip. You look out over Lake Geneva and descend through the vineyards. Since the track makes several hairpin turns as it descends or ascend through the vineyards on switchbacks, both sides have alternating views over the lake.

So, if you have all that memorized, you can do a dance back and forth across the aisle, if the train is not crowded. You will get a bit of exercise that way. 😉

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘4 day trip with Nottwil near Lucerne as a base’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.