3 nights in Grindelwald-what to do and which pass?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 April 2017 at 18:27:26 #811287

My wife, 15 year old daughter and myself will arrive in Geneve on July 1st early morning (7.45 am) and then will go to Grindelwald straight from the airport. We plan to go to Montreux on a direct possible train and then board the Golden pass line from Montreux to Zweissman on the panoramic train. As i understand we are better off to reserve seats on this leg of Golden pass line. From Zweissman we will board again the golden pass line and get off at interlaken ost. Then take the last train to Grindelwald from Interlaken.

We will stay in Grindelwald for three nights and need suggestions on what to do and where to go. Wish to go to Jungfraoujoch but looks like the swiss travel pass will not cover it, is there anyhing slimilar? We also, want to make a day trip to Lucerne but not sure what to do there. Any suggestions? After staying three nights in Grindelwald we will go to Zermatt for one night. Again not sure what to do here for half a day and a night, suggestions?

Thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    6 April 2017 at 9:41:14 #861051

Hi NewJersey,

Sounds like a good plan! Yes, I would indeed book seats for the Montreux to Zweisimmen (note the spelling) section of the route as it is high season. I’d recommend to have some spare time in Montreux as you can’t be sure about which train you’ll have from Geneva airport in case of a delayed flight. The lake area is very close to the train station.

Please see the Grindelwald page for things to do, suggested hotels and more. There is no pass that fully includes Jungfraujoch. The Swiss Travel Pass gets you to Grindelwald, Wengen, Mürren and even Schynige Platte for free. Grindelwald/Wengen to Jungfraujoch is 25% discounted. Considering your other plans as well it will work out fine for you. If your daughter is still 15 on your first travel day she will travel for free as you can order along the free Swiss Family Card. Please see these pages for further details:

Also see the Lucerne and Zermatt pages for more suggestions please.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 April 2017 at 20:55:28 #861052

Hi Arno,

Thanks for your response!

Yes, I have already bought the swiss travel pass ans since my daughter will still be 15 on the first travel day we got the swiss family card too. July being the peak season we are paying a lot for the hotels and everything else and that’s why I was wondering if it is possible to skip Jungfraujoch (because it is expensive) and do something similar with less money or free.

Thanks

New Jersey

Annika
    7124 posts
    7 April 2017 at 6:50:05 #861053

Hi New Jersey,

Of course you can skip Jungfraujoch, that’s entirely up to you. I don’t think there’s anything similar in terms of views and experience in the Jungfrau region, but there are so many other activities to choose from that you definitely won’t get bored. Please see our Bernese Oberland activities page for further ideas. The Schilthorn may appeal to you: great roundabout views of the Alps up there. I also advise to look into Schynige Platte, as that’s for free with your Swiss Travel Pass: myswissalps.com/swisst ravelpass/validity.

• The thread ‘3 nights in Grindelwald-what to do and which pass?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.