Which Swiss rail pass pays off for 3 nights trip?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 February 2018 at 6:11:53 #814267

hello all

we are two adults planning for a 3night/4day trip to Swiss in the end of April. Our plan-

arrive at Zurich airport and then travel to Interlaken/grindelwald.We plan to make either of it as the base location.

do a one day trip to Jungfrau(top of europe) tour and the rest two days just wander around in the near by villages of Interlaken/Grindelwald

our return will be to Basel (instead of Zurich) as we intend to fly from Basel to Brussels.

want to understand if the Swiss travel Pass will be applicable on my transfers by train from Zurich airport to Intrlaken/Grindelwald and from there to Basel by train? Would it also cover my travel for the jungfrau/Top of Eirope tour? And the travel by bus/train for day trips to near by places?

we are inclined towards the scenic places and trails rather than museums.Could you please help us picking the right pass?

Appreciate your help! Thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 February 2018 at 12:16:39 #875754

Hi Baatasaari, and welcome to MySwissAlps,

The Swiss Travel Pass covers all your transfers and bus and other train trips. You will still need a ticket for the Jungfraujoch. You get 25% discount with the Swiss Travel Pass. In order to pick the best rail pass for your trip read our page on how to choose the best rail pass.

Be sure to also check:

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 February 2018 at 6:01:01 #875755

Thank you Chatan.

Can you also help on how to reach Grindelwald First?! Do the trains go straight till the First? In m research I have found that there are quite a few adventure activities available there, would they be open during the month end of April?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 February 2018 at 8:12:44 #875756

>> Can you also help on how to reach Grindelwald First?!

Get the train to Grindelwald. From Grindelwald railway station, walk up the main street (Dorfstrasse) for 10 minutes or so, or else get Bus #121, #123 or #128 from the bus terminal near the station to the bus stop called “Firstbahn” (second stop from the station). From the bus stop, cross the road and walk a short distance uphill along a lane between shops to the valley station of the First gondola.

>> I have found that there are quite a few adventure activities available there, would they be open during the month end of April?

Yes, they will be operating.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 February 2018 at 5:36:24 #875757

This is very helpful. Thank you Alpenrose.

can we buy the adventure package tickets at the location or do we need to book them online? Also would the prices vary?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 February 2018 at 8:45:10 #875758

Hi Baatasaari,

You can book online at Jungfrau.ch when they are open but buying tickets at the location will be fine also – prices to not fluctuate.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 February 2018 at 15:34:57 #875759

Thank you Lucas… you guys are awesome!

This question is for any Indian citizens who travelled to Swiss recently – how did you apply for the Swiss Schengen Visa? Did you had to go to the embassy in New Delhi or is there a different way to apply?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 February 2018 at 1:18:02 #875760

Hi Baatasaari,

>> This question is for any Indian citizens who travelled to Swiss recently

If you want a better chance that people who can assist you will read this message, I would start a new thread with a more relevant title. Otherwise I think it is likely to be overlooked.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 February 2018 at 4:37:55 #875761

Ah sure! That will be really helpful. You guys are awesome. thank you Myswissalps team!

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    9 February 2018 at 5:13:59 #875762

Hi Baatasaari,

My understanding is that since 2015 anyone seeking a first time visa for a Schengen country (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ Schengen_Area) such as Switzerland has to present themselves to a consulate so they can supply biometric data.

I would think that you could get a visa from the consulate/embassy of any country which is party to the Schengen Agreement. So you should not be limited to only the Swiss Consulate in New Delhi.

This is my understanding but you would be wise to confirm this with authorities in India. Any local travel agent worth their salt should be able to tell you.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 February 2018 at 14:43:56 #875763

How would the weather be in the end of april? Would it be too cold and snowing? Also what would you guys suggest jungfraujoch or mt.titlis during that time of the year?

we will be based at interlaken… will that make it difficult for visiting mt.titlis?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 February 2018 at 16:12:36 #875764

It will not be warm but at lower altitudes it should be fairly pleasant in late April. Don’t expect day time temperature to be above 15 degrees Celsius. On top of mountains it can be sub-zero. Read here more about the weather in Switzerland.

The best advice for any season is to be able to dress in multiple layers. That allows you to adapt quickly when weather is changing through the days or when you visit higher areas.

You can go from Interlaken Ost to Engelberg in 2 hours 49 min to visit Mt. Titlis. From Engelberg it is about 15 min walk to the cable car station. It’s a longer trip than going to Jungfraujoch. I personally would go to the Jungfraujoch.

In any case, check the weather forecast as there’s no point in going up if the Jungfraujoch or Mt. Titlis are covered in clouds.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 February 2018 at 11:52:10 #875765

Would my swiss travel

pass be applicalbe to travel till the gondola? Want to understand the cost for reaching the top and doing certain activities they listed.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 February 2018 at 13:23:33 #875766

Yes, the Swiss Travel Pass covers your train trip to Grindelwald. You will get a 50% discount on the gondola to First.

This thread might be of your interest as well. It gives more information about First.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 February 2018 at 17:40:40 #875767

I have a quick question. Is Basel airport (BSL) in Swiss or France? i suppose it birders bith?

also, would I be able to use my swiss pass to travel from interlaken to basel?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 February 2018 at 18:08:27 #875768

I think it’s located in France, but you have an exit for Switzerland and Germany as well. Just pay attention when you arrive. Don’t simply follow the crowd.

I think you mean Swiss Travel Pass. And yes, it covers your trip from Interlaken to Basel.

Arno
    15471 posts
    14 February 2018 at 10:58:39 #875769

Indeed, Basel airport is located in France, just across the border. The bus to Basel in Switzerland is included in the Swiss Travel Pass.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 February 2018 at 5:06:38 #875770

Thank you Arno!

May I ask for some inputs on wandering around Interlaken/grindelwald.

We are stayig for 4days-3 nights and plan do day trips to the First and Jungfraujoch. So, that leaves us with about another day or so. We would want to just go around to some scenic spots and capture nice pics of the beautiful villages. Could you suggest any trails around Interlaken and Grindelwald for this please?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    20 February 2018 at 5:22:12 #875771

From Lauterbrunnen a very nice circuit to do is to Grütschalp (cable car), Mürren (cogwheel train), Gimmelwald (cable car), Stechelberg (cable car), Lauterbrunnen (bus). From Mürren you can easily visit Schiltorn if you have time. In between Stechelberg and Lauterbrunnen the bus stops at the Trummelbach Falls. Well worth a look if it is open when you are there. All these places are searcheable on the MySwissAlps website.

Just watch out for a few closures. See http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/gondolarail-access-to-mountains-in-aprilmay-2018.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 February 2018 at 12:28:15 #875772

>> We would want to just go around to some scenic spots and capture nice pics of the beautiful villages.

There’s a lookout in Wengen with a beautiful view of the Lauterbrunnen Valley and the Jungfrau massif. It is about a 5-10-minute walk from Wengen station. Here are the directions:

From the station, head left up the main street lined with shops and hotels (Dorfstrasse), past the Hotel Silberhorn on the right, Männlichen cable car on the right, Hotel Bernerhof on the left, and uphill a bit past the Hotel Schönegg on the right and a chemist on the left. At the top of the hill, you will see a path on the left leading to the Swiss Protestant Church, where there is a lookout and seats. I have attached a map and a photo of the view.

Alpenrose

• The thread ‘Which Swiss rail pass pays off for 3 nights trip?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.