Itinerary review for 3 nights trip in Switzerland

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 February 2018 at 10:53:10 #814514

itinerary review 3nights/2days

hey guys, i’m visiting jungfrau area on the 15th of June through the 18th of June. Staying the night of 15,16 and 17. what do you think of my itinerary below? is it doable? what would you recommend i swap out or change? thanks!

day 1:

7am: early train to jungfraujoch

1pm: lunch in KS outdoor cafe

230pm: hike KS – Männlichen or hike Murren-Gimmelwald then cable car down to Stechelberg

5pm: Grindelwald First

9pm: Harder Kulm sunset

day 2:

7am: pick up rental car from europcar interlaken

drive along the side of lake brienz and enjoy views towards aare gorge

visit aare gorge.

12pm: drive to blausee and have trout lunch

3pm: another hike/trummelbach falls

???

where to stay: Wengen, Lauterbrunnen or Murren?

Wengen: closer to trains to Jungfraujoch, Beausite Park looks like it might have some nice mountain views.

Lauterbrunnen: better base to access both Murren and Wengen, but not so nice views from hotel/airbnb

Murren: Hotel Eiger seems to have better views (closer to the mountains) than Beausite Park in Wengen

Other things I’d like to do if I can

Ballenberg outdoor museum

Reichenbach falls

lunch/dinner at Rotstrockhutte

Which hike is prettier? KS-Mannlichen or Murren-Gimmelwald? From youtube videos it seemed the latter would was a much more open trail with less variety whereas the latter had a combination of waterfalls, wooded forests as well as panoramic vistas. what do you think?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 February 2018 at 15:32:59 #877260

Hi ee7klt,

Day 1: looks doable, however, you’re not telling us where you are leaving from. Did you use the Swiss timetable to plan your trip?

Day 2: not sure if I would hire a car to enjoy Lake Brienz. I would rather do a boat trip.

Wengen tends to be the town of choice at MySwissAlps.it is car free though. The Beausite Park seems to be a good choice. Read more about it in this thread.

I will let the hiking experts at this forum comment on your question whether you should walk Kleine Scheidegg – Männlichen or Murren-Gimmelwald.

Be sure to check:

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 February 2018 at 17:20:04 #877261

Thanks, I’m not sure if I’ll stay in Murren, Lauterbrunnen or Wengen yet. What are the travel times from each location up to JungFrauJoch?

For the car, my main aim was to get to Aare gorge, and possibly reichenbach on the way back. I was just thinking I might catch a glimpse of Lake Brienz on the way but if not it’s not a big deal. Is there good public transport to Aare gorge? How long should I plan to spend at the Gorge?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 February 2018 at 22:06:56 #877262

It doesn’t really matter in which village you stay. Read here about how to travel to the Jungfraujoch. From Grindelwald and Wengen it’s about 1h30 and from Mürren 2 hours. Please use the Swiss timetable I referred to earlier.

The train stop Aareschlucht West is very close to the entrance of the Aare gorge, so you can fill that out as the destination in the timetable. It takes about 40 minutes to hike through the gorge.

Reichenbach Falls can be reached by taking a train to Meiringen and then walking for 20 minutes. From the bottom of the waterfalls it’s a 20-minute walk to the Aare gorge.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 February 2018 at 2:48:59 #877263

Ah right! So aare gorge is right next to the Reichenbach falls I didn’t realize! Do you think if I can squeeze in schilthorn in the morning of the second day if I leave super early? I’ll probably have to give up Blausee correct? Last I checked Blausee was only a 40min drive from Interlaken according to Google maps but I’m not sure why public transport takes almost 2hrs (from various bloggers). It seems public transportation to Blausee is quite a hassle with a number of changes correct? In that case a car would be worth it? Drive to Blausee then drive from Blausee straight to aare without going back to Interlaken first

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 February 2018 at 9:25:53 #877264

You can’t do Schilthorn and the Aare gorge in one morning. Blausee is indeed easier by car. If you take the car you could do Schilthorn (park car in Stechelberg) – Blausee – Reichenbach falls – Aare gorge and I would probably call that a day. The ViaMichelin website is usually a good website to plan your trip by car

Pickergal
    Participant
    88 posts
    27 February 2018 at 14:19:10 #877265

Hi ee7klt,

I am certainly not an expert hiker. In fact, I have hiked one trail in Switzerland! We hiked from Mannlichen to KS because of all of the advice on this forum. They recommend doing that hike in that direction.

Have a great time!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 March 2018 at 3:34:06 #877266

Would it make sense for me to get the Swiss half fare card for my itinerary? Can the half fare card be used with the early bird Jungfrau discount as well?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 March 2018 at 11:08:41 #877267

Hi ee7klt,

No, the discounts can’t be combined unfortunately. It may still make sense to use the Swiss Half Fare Card though. The only way to know for sure is to use our spread sheet here and do the math to compare rail pass prices on your specific itinerary.

• The thread ‘Itinerary review for 3 nights trip in Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.