3 nights in Switzerland with young kids 17-20 Oct

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 September 2017 at 2:50:40 #813275

Hi,

We are driving up from Italy and planning to visit Switzerland for 3 nights 17-20 October.

We have 2 young kids, 20mnths and 4 year old.

Hoping for some sightseeing and catch some snow for kids to play with if any.

Not sure but Would be great if we can have a 1 base for the whole 3 nights otherwise we can move around.

Where would be best to go and stay to cater around a family and kids friendly vacation.

Hoping to see Montreux/Interlaken/Lucerne.

Also, maybe Zermatt/Grindelwald area for some snow if any, otherwise it’s ok.

I know 3 nights a bit too short to cover all those places. Looking forward to your advice and suggestions.

After switzerland, we will head back south to Italy and spend 2 nights in Lake Como area for Hereford I suppose the route back will be via Lugano.

Another thing, do I need snow tires travelling around Italy/Switzerland in Mid-late October?

Thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 September 2017 at 16:41:35 #869857

Hi Joe777 and welcome to MySwissAlps!

So you are driving around Switzerland when you are here? We always recommend traveling by train here – much easier. Read more about cars vs trains here. That being said, yes I would have winter tires on if you drive, especially as the mountain passes are already getting snow now.

I would base yourself in Interlaken for 3 nights. For mountains and snow, the Interlaken area would offer the best opportunities. Click here to read more about the Jungfrau region. Interlaken also has good train connections if you decide to make a trip farther afield from there, such as Lucerne, Montreux or Zermatt.

Use the Swiss railways timetable here to plan your trips and see how long a train ride it would be to various towns (to see if it would be worth the time and effort for you). Some people may be ok with a 3 hour trip to Zermatt for a day trip and some people would not want to do that.

Lucas

• The thread ‘3 nights in Switzerland with young kids 17-20 Oct’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.