Stay in Zurich, Lucerne and where else in July?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 June 2019 at 15:33:44 #822249

Hello. I am planning a trip for 4 adults in July for 8 nights. We will fly in and out of Zurich. We don’t want to stay in too many different hotels and would like to keep the itinerary somewhat relaxed while still enjoying the beautiful sights and train rides. Luzern seems like a great choice to spend about 4 nights. We’d also like to stay 1-2 nights in Zurich. What do you suggest for a 3rd location or would you spend additional nights in these cities? Thank you!!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

CabinJon
    Participant
    280 posts
    13 June 2019 at 19:37:01 #915065

We spent 8 nights in Switzerland last October, first two nights in Zurich, 5 nights in Lucerne, last night in Zurich. The Zurich days were convenient for getting over jet lag, doing dome sightseeing in the old part of town, and for a relaxing last night before flying out. The stay in Lucerne was great since it was a smaller city, conveniently located, and we could, and did, go multiple places via train or boat while there. We also wanted to avoid unpacking and packing too many times. I’d stick with Zurich and Lucerne, and enjoy the day trips from those locations rather than working in a third city in a short period of time.

Enjoy your trip!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 June 2019 at 20:21:36 #915066

Thank you for the information. After I posted the question, I read about Solothurn. Seems like a less touristy spot and a place to consider for 2 nights. I’d love some thoughts. Thanks again!

Annika
    7116 posts
    15 June 2019 at 5:43:18 #915067

Hi MichNY!

Solothurn is a very attractive town indeed, and less touristy than hotspots such as Lucerne. It’s not the most obvious location if you’re interested in day trips into the Alps, as it takes more time to travel to the higher alpine regions. On the other hand, if you’re willing to explore Swiss countryside and make day trips to Bern, Basel, Thun, Biel/Bienne and Neuchâtel, Solothurn is a great base town. You’d best consider what’s high on your wish list and consult the timetable at myswissalps.com/timeta ble to find out which base towns make most sense.

An overview of other options can be found at myswissalps.com/wheret ogo/towns.

• The thread ‘Stay in Zurich, Lucerne and where else in July?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.