4 day itinerary for 6 seniors based in Zurich

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 August 2019 at 5:28:10 #823415

We have accommodations in Zurich Sept. 28 thru Oct. 3. 3 senior cpls.

What is your suggestion for a 3-4 day itinerary . Should we buy the Swiss Pass?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7104 posts
    16 August 2019 at 6:14:47 #920145

Hello Kayhouser, and welcome to MySwissAlps!

We don’t create itineraries here, but there’s a lot of information to help you get started. I suggest you start off with reading the pages below:

Using a rail pass makes sense for most trips indeed. Which is best, depends on your finalized itinerary: http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass. A Swiss Tavel Pass is for sure the easiest and most flexible option: http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass.

I hope this gets you started. Feel free to get back to us once you have a tentative itinerary, and we’ll be happy to assist you with any follow-up questions!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 August 2019 at 3:58:46 #920146

We will be staying in Eglisau. We have a 5 day itinerary in mind that would include; Heidiland and Licechtenstein , Old Town, Bern, Schauffhausen, Lake Zurich and possibly Mt Titlis. One in our group cant walk long distances. Any suggestions on an order to see these places? Would a Swiss Travel Pass save money?

thank you for your help.

Annika
    7104 posts
    17 August 2019 at 6:40:22 #920147

Hello Kayhouser!

Eglisau is quite up in the north and therefore not located that centrally. However, it will work out pretty well for most day trips you have in mind. Did you take a look at the advanced SBB timetable I mentioned to plan your trips? In addition, you can use the pages below:

You could very well make 5 day trips. Heidiland and Liechtenstein can be combined in one day, if you don’t mind a pretty long day though. I’m not sure what you mean by “Old Town”, but if it’s Zurich, then you can plan that visit along with a boat ride over Lake Zurich on one day too. Bern, Schaffhausen/Rhine Falls and Titlis would make for separate day trips I think.

You’ll really have to calculate your trips to see which rail pass makes sense. Please refer to the link provided above. A rail will very probably save you money. Apart from a 4 day Swiss Travel Pass (http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass), you may also want to look into a Swiss Half Fare Card (http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isshalffarecard). It’s less flexible and not as hassle-free though, as each member of you group will have to buy discounted tickets before boarding for each journey. A Swiss Travel Pass comes with the advantage of free tram and bus traveling in many towns as well, which might come in handy for the member that can’t walk long distances.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    17 August 2019 at 8:43:04 #920148

Hi Kayhouser –

Thanks for including your dates of travel. They are important,because at that time of the year, some services such as lake boats run on a reduced schedule, compared to the Summer months.

Take a look at the Lake Lucerne region link that Annika provided. A lake boat ride there might fit your group’s need to minimize walking.

Could you comment on what “long distances” means?

<<“One in our group cant walk long distances.”>>

In general, walking is an accepted mode of public transportation in Switzerland, which might require a bit of vigilance in your planning. So it might be wise to take a look at a map of destinations such as Schaffhausen and Engelberg (Titlis) to see if they would require too much walking. Buses are available, and may be useful.

This map (Mapsearch.ch) can be used to clearly show bus stops (etc.) , by using the menu (star in a circle/traffic). For Swiss public transport, I find it more useful than Google maps. Mouse over the icons and you get the exact name of the station or stop, which is helpful to use in the timetable linked by Annika.

map.search.ch/?pos=690043,283759&z=25 6&poi=haltestelle,zug

If you switch to the aerial view, you can get a limited sense of the terrain. It doesn’t really show altitudes; a topographic map can do that, but that might be overkill for your needs.

I have linked to one for Engelberg, just for a sample, after the Mapsearch map:

map.search.ch/?pos=673350,185594&z=51 2&poi=bergbahn,haltest elle,zug

You’ll note on that map that the nearest cableway stations to the train station in Engelberg are about 300 meters away from the train station, but, there is a bus to them. That is just an example of what I mean by looking over the locations.

Here is a topo map of Engleberg, which, as I noted, may be much more than you need or want. But , it does show altitudes, if you need that level of detail:

map.geo.admin.ch/?topic=swisstopo&lang=e n&bgLayer=ch.swisstopo .pixelkarte-farbe&catalogNodes=139 2,1538,1396,1430,1436& layers=ch.swisstopo.sw isstlm3d-wanderwege&E=2673000.7 2&N=1185680.08&zoom=8& layers_visibility=fals e

You can see that those cableway stations nearest to the railroad station are at almost exactly the same altitude around 996 to 999 meters… a level walk.

In case you are from the US, a meter is about 10% longer than a yard. 😉

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘4 day itinerary for 6 seniors based in Zurich’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.