4 day Swiss train pass Basel-Lauterbrunnen-Zurich

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 March 2020 at 13:25:57 #825398

Hello,

Thanks in advance. I am looking to buy the Swiss Travel Pass for convenience for our family of 3. We will be driving from Colmar, France to Basel on Tuesday April 14th, planning to take a train to Lauterbrunnen area. ( still not sure of plans 🤦🏻‍♀️)

We will return to Zurich on Saturday April 18th. That technically entails 5 days of traveling. Would it make more sense to purchase starting the 14th or 15th? Not sure which is less expensive to buy separate ….the route going from Basel to Interlaken/Lauterbrunnen…. or the route leaving Lauterbrunnen area going back to Zurich?

Lori

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 March 2020 at 13:29:58 #931083

Oh, also I forgot to mention there was the thought of the Jungfraujoch pass as well but we only wanted to try Sledging for a day if it was open. 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 March 2020 at 5:48:23 #931084

Hi Loriloris,

if you are unsure of which pass to choose: You’ll find a helpful chatbot and a useful guide with a calculation spreadsheet, which helps you to choose your rail pass in 5 steps at http://www.myswissalps.com/train/ticketspasses/practical/chooserailpass. The downloadable spreadsheet also includes links to the “Where it’s valid” page for all available passes, be sure to study it carefully.

Also as you are coming from Colmar: http://www.myswissalps.com/traintickets/france (just in case if you decide to travel by train from Colmar. It is pretty easy to use the train from there).

The spreadsheet above can also help you to decide when to start the Swiss Travel Pass. For the other day you can buy SuperSaver ticket (make sure to travel on the chosen train if you are late you need to get new tickets: http://www.myswissalps.com/traintickets/switzerland) or a Saver Day Pass (http://www.myswissalps.com/saverdaypass and http://www.myswissalps.com/saverdaypass/details).

You can buy your Swiss Travel Pass here: http://www.myswissalps.com/swisstravelpass/price. Make sure to check the available promotions: http://www.myswissalps.com/swisstravelpass/promotions.

Ildiko

Also see:

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 March 2020 at 11:57:42 #931085

Thank you IIdiko.

We will have a car rental to return after Colmar, so I need to travel back to Switzerland and from the map Basel looked to make the most sense. 🙂 We would return it someplace else if there was a better choice for train of course… Perhaps a more scenic line … ?

I will look over the spreadsheets and see how our plans fit in. Still trying to figure out if we only do Grindelwald area or add one more stop with our time. I want to fit as much as possible 8)

thank you again.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 March 2020 at 12:23:24 #931086

Could you share your full Swiss itinerary please? So I can see what you are planning in the Jungfrau region. Also what you prefer, mountains or towns, culture, museums? You could also visit Lucerne (http://www.myswissalps.com/lucerne) but not you do not need necessary an other stop as there are plenty of things to do and see in the Jungfrau region.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 March 2020 at 0:51:29 #931087

And the rest of the itinerary please as I don’t understand why you are renting car and driving from Colmar, when there are frequent trains from Colmar to Basel.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 March 2020 at 3:36:56 #931088

This was the original plan until I recently heard that Grindelwald shops and restaurants mostly shut down the Monday after Easter for a while??!

Sat April 11th AM land in ZURICH … rent a car for next day (maybe rental places are closed on Easter ) Walk city, eat shop etc and spend night Zurich.

Easter * Sun 12th- Drive to Colmar…( possibly go long way and visit Rhine Falls area in Germany maybe the Sigmarigen Castle)

Continue to Colmar Staying at the ..Hotel Le Marechal 2 nights ….Monday & Tuesday Site see …Strasbourg area, shopping relax etc.

Tuesday 14th Drive to Basel and drop rental car off. ( I understand you get a surcharge if you pick up and drop off in different Country? @1960man)

***** now from here I have to change itinerary if everything does indeed close…but my plan was …..

Board train (not sure which yet) to GRINDELWALD via Lucerne-Interlaken route

Check in to Hotel Belvedere … Walk town and sight see… shop… activities ….mountains.. sledging .. zip line.. etc.

I haven’t chosen how long to stay here but plan to be at least two nights. Then was thinking …Should we goto Zermatt or St Moritz or someplace else ? )

All that matters at this point is we have to be back in Zurich Saturday night where we will sleep and catch our flight on Sunday stress free. 🙂 I thought perhaps the Golden Pass or similar..

I just want to take in the beauty of Europe.. We love nature. views… good hotels …food..

I probably won’t be back soon so want to make the most of it… but without feeling rushed anywhere.

sorry if that’s written a bit all over the place..I’m so sleepy tonight…. Hopefully you get the idea…. and thank you thank you thank you!

Anna
    6382 posts
    7 March 2020 at 9:36:53 #931089

Hi Loriloris,

For the activities you plan to do, I think it is still worthwhile to visit Grindelwald even on a public holiday (Easter Monday). The shops will be closed but most restaurants and tourist attractions would be open. So you can still go for a walk, do the zipline and sledging as per your original plan. The following links will give you some ideas what you can do in and around Grindelwald:

Zermatt is roughly about 3 hours by train from Grindelwald. It’s possible to do a day trip but may not be a good idea if you don’t like feeling rushed during your holiday. I personally think you should make the best use of your two days in Grindelwald, if this was an option, to explore the beautiful Jungfrau region.

Regards,

Anna

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 March 2020 at 12:56:58 #931090

Thank you for your reply Anna.

So the way the trip is planned we would not be getting to Grindelwald until late Tuesday which means the days there would be Weds and Thursday. On another forum I was told that only the hotel restaurants are open and most shops are closed….. I was recommended to stay in Lucerne instead… that is why I got confused and thought to change the itinerary.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 March 2020 at 13:16:08 #931091

Grindelwald is a large resort. Most things will be open, probably even on a public holiday

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 March 2020 at 13:17:58 #931092

car rental is always more expensive if dropped off at a different place to where you pick up, so even Zurich – Basel will be more exensive.

It is perfectly possible to use trains to get to Colmar and Starsbourg – frequent services from Basel

Anna
    6382 posts
    7 March 2020 at 15:17:14 #931093

Hi Loriloris,

Sorry, I think I got the Easter dates mixed up. Good Friday (March 10) is definitely a public holiday. Sunday and Monday (March 12 & 13) are public holidays too but most restaurants and tourist attractions will stay open. But if you are travelling on Tuesday March 14 and onwards, it would be business as usual so you have nothing to worry about.

I hope that addressed your concerns.

Regards,

Anna

• The thread ‘4 day Swiss train pass Basel-Lauterbrunnen-Zurich’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.