4 day trip report Jungfrau region mid August

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 September 2017 at 21:38:58 #813146

Switzerland is amazing. Had a great time and can’t wait to come back.

Here is a trip review (my brother and I visited)

Flew into Geneva Tuesday evening (after several hours at Barcelona airport to avoid the security checkpoint strike). Went to the SBB office and purchased 2 of the discounted 2 months half fare cards for 33CHF each. It was the last day of the offer and the guy in the office was not aware of it but said it was a really good deal! Bought tickets to Bern and had a quiet night at a hostel in the center of town.

Weds. Bought BO 4 day passes and traveled to Lauterbrunnen. Stayed at Camping Jungfrau in a 2 bedroom room. Excellent camp site, with camping, caravans, hostel style rooms, restaurant, and store. The weather was beautiful with the forecast for bad weather the next few days so went up to Kleine Scheidegg via Wengen. Took the train into Grindelwald and then continued back to Lauterbrunnen via Zweilutschinen.

Thursday. Bought Jungfraujoch tickets and left Lauterbrunnen on the 9am train. The weather was fantastic at the top. Clear skies and about 34 degrees. Hiked to Mönchsjochhütte and had an excellent lunch there. Went back to the Top of Europe and rode the zip line then walked the Ice caves and left around 3pm. From KS hiked down to the next train stop Wengernalp and then trained back to Lauterbrunnen.

Friday weather was beautiful again so hiked to Trummelbach falls. then bussed to Stechelberg and took the cable car to Murren. had lunch then hiked to Grutschalp and then cable car down to Lauterbrunnen. Then took the train back to Wengen and the cable car to Mannlichen. Then took the cable car down into Grund and circled back to Lauterbrunnen via Zweilutschuninen again.

Saturday weather was not so great. Cloudy and slight rain. Watched the start of the Inferno Half Marathon which started in Camping Jungfrau.The weather cleared so trained into Interlaken and did the boat trip on Lake Brienz and returned to Interlaken on the train. Form here went to Grindelwald and a quick gondola trip up to Pfingstegg. Then train back to Lauterbrunnen.

Sunday. 4 day pass expired and took train back to Geneva via Montreux including the part on the Golden Pass scenic train.

Attached might be many photos 🙂

Thanks for everyone’s help here. The 2 month half pass was a great bonus and I can’t wait to come back.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 September 2017 at 21:40:22 #869310

can’t get photos to attach

🙁

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 September 2017 at 0:08:41 #869311

As I can’t get the images to attach here are some links you can copy and paste. These are from a couple of photography forums I am a member of. 3rd link repeats most of 1st and 2nd but has a few new images too.

http://www.nikoncafe.com/thre ads/switzerland-image-heavy.306190/

http://www.nikoncafe.com/thre ads/staubbach-falls-lauterbrunnen-switzerland.306191/

http://www.dpreview.com/forum s/thread/4199368

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    2 September 2017 at 4:09:40 #869312

Hi Wembley,

Thanks for sharing your experiences. Photos need to be less then 1Mbyte in size otherwise they won’t load (which given what follows may be just as well).

WOW! From the links you posted later you have taken some fantastic(!) photos.

I assumed from the Nikon links you were shooting with a Nikon DSLR but then discovered the GX85 page. That little Lumix does good work (in association with your obvious photographic talent). Nice work.

Love that cow on Mannlichen!

Arno
    15484 posts
    2 September 2017 at 6:31:11 #869313

Thanks a lot for taking the effort to write about your trip Wembley! You surely used your days in Switzerland well, and you’re a great photographer! Indeed up to 10 images of 1 Mb can be uploaded here per post. You can shrink images via kraken.io/web-interface, for example.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    2 September 2017 at 6:51:41 #869314

Hi Wembley,

Reading the comments on your DPReview post led me to discover the Lr/Enfuse plugin which I had not previously come across. So your trip report was a double bonus for me. Thanks again.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 September 2017 at 15:15:46 #869315

Thanks. Long time Nikon user and still use Nikon professionally every day but tired of carrying a DSLR and battery of lenses on trips so bought the GX85 for my travel set-up. It’s exactly what I wanted.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 September 2017 at 2:24:54 #869316

Superb photos! Thanks for the links.

Alpenrose

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    3 September 2017 at 2:52:32 #869317

Superb is right! I keep going back to look at them again.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 September 2017 at 7:06:55 #869318

Very nice report and photos Wembley!

Good call on the travel camera setup too – tempting to get something like that instead of a dslr!

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 September 2017 at 20:24:19 #869319

Stunning pictures! Fun to see places I have been and now more places I want to go!

traveljet
    Participant
    388 posts
    8 September 2017 at 13:33:03 #869320

Wow! Brilliant photography. Saw your photos on the links you shared and they brought back memories of 2012. Well, we are returning to Switzerland in a week’s time and can’t wait to gawk at the mountains again.

Glad you made good use of your time visiting all those places. Thanks for sharing your report and 👍🏼 photos.

• The thread ‘4 day trip report Jungfrau region mid August’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.