4 day trip to Switzerland in March

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 February 2012 at 8:06:08 #804954

Hi,

My family and I are travelling from Singapore and plan to visit Switzerland for a 4 days. Our plans are as follows :

Day 1 – Milan Centrale to Interlaken
    Day 2 – Interlaken to Jungfraujoch via Lauterbrunnen (going up) and Grindenwald (down) and back to Interlaken
    Day 3 – Interlaken – Bern, Bern – Zurich
    Day 4 – Zurich – Innsbruck

There’s 5 people in my group. We’re planning to buy the Half Fare Pass as it seems to be the most economical option for us. Can we get the Half Fare pass in Milan? Or do we have to buy it at Brig (the nearest Swiss Train Station).

Thanks for your help.

Izitg

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7104 posts
    24 February 2012 at 4:50:18 #834982

Hello Izitg, and welcome to the forum! The Swiss Half Fare Card is not for sale in Milan. You can buy it in Brig or online in advance. Just select Singapore as your country of residence in the upper right corner of the Swiss Half Fare Card page for further details.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 February 2012 at 10:08:40 #834983

Hi Annika,

Thanks for the info.

How should I get my tickets for going up to Jungfrau via Lauterbrunnen and going down from Grinenwald back to Interlaken? Do I inform the ticket sales agent? Will I have to buy 2 single tickets for each trip or a return trip from Interlaken to Jungfrau is OK?

For Zurich to Innsbruck, can the Half Fare Card be used? Do I need to include photo for the half fare card?

Thanks for the info.

Izitg

Annika
    7104 posts
    25 February 2012 at 10:56:34 #834984

Hi izitg! You can buy your 50% reduced ticket for the Jungfraujoch (and all other trips you want to make) at the railway station before boarding the train. You can either use ticketing machines, which have clear instructions in English, or ask for your tickets at a manned desk. They’ll be able to give you one ticket for the round trip via Lauterbrunnen and Grindelwald.

The Swiss Half Fare Card will be valid for the Swiss leg of your trip to Innsbruck, so you’ll have to buy a regular full fare ticket for the Austrian leg. Please refer to the Swiss Half Fare Card page, where you’ll find a link to a map showing the exact area of validity.

No, a photo isn’t necessary.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 February 2012 at 0:17:44 #834985

Hi Annika,

Thanks again.

Made some slight changes to my itinerary. Am going from Zurich to Salzburg instead. So, when you said I could use the Swiss half Fare card for the swiss leg, do I have to change trains? Or can I get a direct train from Zurich to Salzburg?

Thanks.

Izitg

Olga
    Participant
    346 posts
    26 February 2012 at 3:55:15 #834986

Hello izitg,

You can check the SBB timetable to see if your train goes directly to Salzburg or if changing trains is necessary. Just fill out the required information.

Have a nice trip!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 February 2012 at 23:15:46 #834987

Hi Olga,

Thanks for the info.

I’m looking at my itinerary for Jungfrau and have been reading the forum. In the event that the weather is not permitting in Jungfraujoch, I might consider going to Schilthorn.

Can you please advice which would be a better option to travel – half fare pass or swiss pass?

I read that it’s possible for a round trip to Schilthorn which goes up via Stechelberg and down via Grutschalp abd back to Interlaken. I read that the swiss pass will allow free trip to murren and I have to pay from Murren to Schilthorn. Is this correct?

I tried checking the SBB timetable but it doesn’t seem to provide me the cost for Interlaken to Schilthorn. How much would this cost?

Thanks for your help.

Arno
    15471 posts
    28 February 2012 at 16:33:26 #834988

Hi izitg,

This FAQ explains how to select your pass. Depending on when you travel, this offer might be of interest to you.

The round trip you mentioned is indeed possible (and recommended, it’s nice!). It’s indeed free to Mürren (with a Swiss Pass) and the Schilthorn is discounted by 50%. Details like that can be found on the map Annika refered to. Such maps can be downloaded from any of our pass pages; they allow you to see exactly what’s covered. Fares are on the Schilthorn website.

• The thread ‘4 day trip to Switzerland in March’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.