4 days Bernese Oberland & Lucerne by car in April

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 February 2019 at 20:24:55 #819810

My partner and our toddler son will be traveling for 3-4 nights in Switzerland in early April. We’re coming from Italy (Como) and heading to Strasbourg. I know Switzerland is done best by rail, but the areas we are coming from and those we are going to are best seen by car. I’m hoping some experts here can help me out planning my itinerary.

We’re likely going to focus the Bernese Oberland area and maybe spend half to a full day in Lucerne. I’m thinking to leave Como early and drive to either Grindelwald or Lauterbrunnen to stay for 2 nights and then spend another night in Lucerne on the way to Strasbourg, something like the following:

Day 1: Early departure from Como to Bernese Oberland, arriving at mid-day. Do a half-day activity (maybe a Lake Thun cruise). First night in BO.

Day 2: Schilthorn & either Wengen or Murren. Second night in BO.

Day 3: Hike Lauterbrunnen to Stechelberg. Head to Lucerne for the night.

Day 4: Explore Lucerne for the day. Head to Strasbourg for the night.

Does this seem reasonable? Should we add more activities and if so are there any suggestions?

We’re not going to be moving very fast due to having a toddler. My partner has never seen or been in snow, so a mountain with snow is very high priority. Other than that we simply want to enjoy the beauty of the area. Depending on the weather/clarity at the time, the daily activities are interchangeable to ensure we get a clear day on a mountain.

Will we need snow tires or chains for any part of this trip? We’re renting the car in Nice, so it will not likely be equipped for snow.

Lastly, if we stay a bit outside of Grindelwald or Lauterbrunnen in a chalet, how easy will it be to drive into town for meals/groceries? Will parking be an issue for short durations?

I appreciate any info you can provide!

• The thread ‘4 days Bernese Oberland & Lucerne by car in April’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.