Hiking base for 4 days in Switzerland in June 2018

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 October 2017 at 12:31:06 #813543

We are going to be visiting Lyon in June next year and would love to do some hiking in picturesque areas and see some of the beautiful villages or towns. We will only have 4 days and want to use our time efficiently. Can you suggest some highlights that will be easy to get to from Lyon?

thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 October 2017 at 21:47:45 #871164

Hi Rosie, and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Is “Lyon” a typo? That’s in France, and not a good base for hiking in Switzerland. Perhaps you could clarify where exactly in Switzerland you would like to hike.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 October 2017 at 3:29:46 #871165

Hi Alpenrose,

Sorry, I realised after posting that my post was not clear! My husband, myself and two adult children will coming from Lyon in France to stay for four days in Switzerland. We won’t have a car. We don’t want to waste too much time travelling between destinations and wonder which place would offer us easy transport with hiking and pretty towns? Jungfrau looks great, but there are so many choices and so much info it is hard to know!

thanks so much for your reply 😊

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 October 2017 at 5:10:06 #871166

Hi Rosie,

Yes, the Jungfrau region is probably what would work best for you. There are a list of towns in the area on the region link you can look through to see what appeals to you.

The most popular towns are probably Wengen and Lauterbrunnen. Both are small Alpine towns with great views and easy access to hikes and nearby mountains. If you want a larger town with better rail connections around Switzerland then look at Interlaken.

Use the Swiss railways timetable to plan out your trips to the area and around the region.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    23 October 2017 at 5:34:41 #871167

Hi Rosie,

If Wengen appeals then see http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/tips-about-wengen-and-the-jungfrau-region-by-kim

The only problem is that getting from Lyon to Wengen is going to cost you almost 6 hours travel time in each direction. That may chew up more of your four days than you would want.

I’m not a hiker but I’m sure someone will come up with some good hiking suggestions for the French side of Switzerland.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 October 2017 at 23:17:34 #871168

Hi all, thanks for the help, what a great forum!

So now I am looking into Wengen, but thinking maybe I should go from Lyon to Geneva then to either Wengen or somewhere closer for pretty villages and hiking…any thoughts?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 October 2017 at 6:40:28 #871169

Hi Rosie,

There are a lot of options everywhere in Switzerland for hiking. Although if you want to that Swiss mountain feeling Wengen should be your first choice. Also, a little closer to Geneva is Mont Blanc, as well as Montreux and the Rochers-de-Naye.

You can search for hikes on our hiking page here or search through our Swiss towns page. Each town has a list of nearby activities including hiking options.

• The thread ‘Hiking base for 4 days in Switzerland in June 2018’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.