4 days in Lucerne: what to do & how to get around

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 April 2018 at 2:51:36 #815492

Hey anyone that can help.

Already booked flight and hotel, will be staying at Lucern for 5 nights, just need to find 4 excursions to do, May 7th is my arrival day, so i have may 8/9/10/11 to plan for things to do.

I want to do titlus, pilatus, Jungfraujoch – Top of Europe, and maybe a train trip to Gimmelwald, or a nice train ride with great views. In those 4 days.

I just need to know how to get from the airport to lucern, back and forth from excursions and then to the airport. The Costs and times associated with them as well.

Things seem more complicated than they are, so i do need help.

I dont know if it is cost effective to get the swiss pass or half fare pass.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 April 2018 at 3:53:20 #883035

I am thinking of getting the half fare swiss pass, as the full pass is beyond my budget.

Seems tickets from airport to lucern and back 4 days late will cost 120CHF , saving 60 there, and going up Pilatus saves another 72CHF.

anyone have thoughts on that?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 April 2018 at 8:48:12 #883036

Hi sajidakhtar,

In order to plan your trip, use the Swiss railways timetable: http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable. It will tell you how to get from A to B and how long it will take.

You should read “How to choose the best travel pass”. A clearly mapped out itinerary is the basis for deciding which pass (if any) suits. Based on your itinerary you need to do the sums based on the cost of all your planned trips on trains, boats, cable cars etc. The page has a spreadsheet to help you.

You can use the Swiss train timetable to work out the fares for any trip. When you go to “buy a ticket” the fare you see on the right hand side of the page will normally be the half-fare price. Double it to get full fare. With a Swiss Travel Pass it is free provided it is shown as free on the validity map which you can download here.

Have a look at our Lucerne webpage as well: http://www.myswissalps.com/lu cerne.

Arno
    15471 posts
    25 April 2018 at 6:55:20 #883037

Hi Sajidakhtar,

If you have made up your mind about the excursions then doing the math as explained by Chantal is useful to find the best option. A Swiss Half Fare Card may indeed be best. You can print it at home: http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isshalffarecard/price.

If saving money is your main objective and you don’t care if you visit one beautiful peak or the other, then have a look at what’s included in the Swiss Travel Pass: http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/validity. As you can see you can switch Pilatus for Rigi, and Schilthorn for Jungfraujoch. Those excursions are included for free. Gimmelwald can be reached for free as well. Many museums are also free, as well as boat rides.

Have fun!

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    25 April 2018 at 7:52:52 #883038

After you appear to have saved CHF132 you have only saved CHF12 if you take into account your initial outlay. From then on everything will be a real half price saving. But with Swiss Travel Pass many trips are free.

Have a look at this thread for the best value deal in the Jungfrau Region – Schilthorn! My opinion.

• The thread ‘4 days in Lucerne: what to do & how to get around’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.