Switzerland in May 2020, 4 days base in Basel?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 October 2019 at 19:57:10 #824312

Will arrive Basel and have 4 days in Switzerland before leaving on a Viking tour. Is it better to base in Basel and day trip or travel from town to town by train. Concerned that we will be traveling with suitcases. Really hoping to get out to see the Apls and country side. Thanks for info.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    26 October 2019 at 20:22:04 #924266

Hello Harmaddot and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

For such a short visit you may be better picking one base such as Luzern or Interlaken. Don’t contemplate moving from town to town – you will waste too much time swapping hotels.

You could stay in Basel but would end up spending a lot more time travelling back and forth if you wanted to experience the Alps.

Use the search function on this page to discover suggestions for things to do around Interlaken and Luzern. You could easily fill 4 days at either.

Use the timetable on the SBB website (bit.ly/2HH1U7B) or the highly-recommended SBB Mobile app (bit.ly/2ICIUHi) to plan your travel, find fares* and buy tickets if required. If you are not familiar with using the timetable it will pay to first read the instructions on this page – http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable. *SBB website shows half-fare prices by default, mobile app allows you to nominate full or half-fare and is also smart enough to offer you the Saver Day Pass (http://www.myswissalps.com/sa verdaypass) if that offers the best fare.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 October 2019 at 9:42:46 #924267

Hello Harmadot,

Welcome to MySwissAlps!

I agree with rockoyster about picking one base during your four days stay in Switzerland. You don’t need to stay in Basel, near the cruise ship while you are here. I would also suggest Interlaken or Lucerne as a travel base. From there you don’t need to spend too much time traveling to the Alps. The day you leave Switzerland for your Viking tour, the train ride for Interlaken to Basel is approximately 2 hours and 3o minutes and Lucerne to Basel is 1 hour and 10 mins.

I will attach some links of Interlaken and Lucerne and there you can decide which one you would want as a travel base.

Interlaken:

Lucerne:

Basel:

Assuming you’ll getting around using the trains in Switzerland, I will attach information about the trains and the various passes to purchase:

I hope these links help you get started and give you inspiration. I wish you happy planning!

Best regards,

Suzanne

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 October 2019 at 12:02:41 #924268

Thanks so much for your replies. You have given me much to research. How is the weather in Interlaken mid May? Will we need winter clothes and boots to enjoy the area. We are hoping to travel as light as possible.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 October 2019 at 12:18:30 #924269

Hello Harmaddot,

Thanks for your question!

In May, it’s spring time in Interlaken. However, spring weather can be unpredictable. In past you might have temperatures around 65 fahrenheit in the day and in the evening, 48 fahrenheit. I will attach a useful link with the weather app called “meteoswiss” under the weather and climate title. Perhaps take a look at the weather forecast before you leave to decide what you need. I often suggest packing a windproof jacket with a hoodie, a sweater, warm socks, and shoes with tread soles.

I hope that helps!

Best regards,

Suzanne

• The thread ‘Switzerland in May 2020, 4 days base in Basel?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.