4 day itinerary help for Switzerland in Basel

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 June 2018 at 21:43:28 #816512

Hello

Need information regarding trip in Swiss. I and my wife with kids 13 and 10 travelling to Swtizerland first time this Jul. We will be there for 6 days with day 1 and last day half day to come in and leave the airport. Day 2 and day 3 are consecutive and day 4 and 5 are two weeks apart. (since we are travelling other cities in italy and paris).Kindly suggest 4 days itinerary in switzerland from basel (cant change) each day. We want to see only the nature/alps/mountains and go trough beautiful train rides.

Day 1: Lucern/Titlis

Day 2:Interlaken

Day 3:Junfrouch

Day 4: Engelberg or zermatt or anything else.

Which swiss travel pass to use (if needed). Half card or flex?

Apprecaite any input.

Thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Gunzel
    Participant
    241 posts
    7 June 2018 at 22:43:18 #887674

If you’re based at Basel, some of the trips you’ve suggested could be long days especially if travelling with children.

On one of my trips to Switzerland, my children were eight and five. Most times they enjoyed the travel but sometimes they weren’t overly interested (possibly because they were a little tired) even when we were passing through magnificent scenery.

There are plenty of options a little closer to Basel. But I would suggest you consider a mix of “shorter” and “longer” days.

There will be plenty of people on here who can share knowledge and offer suggestions but it’s a good idea to check the resources first so you have a better idea and understanding of what you really want to do.

PPPPP – prior planning prevents poor performance … but no matter what:

enjoy your travels!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 June 2018 at 5:58:35 #887675

Hi AmitKul and welcome to MySwissAlps!

You’ll want to start looking at the following links to help you choose what to do:

• Swiss railways timetable – to plan how long trips will take from Basel to a town or mountain.
    • What to do in Switzerland, information can be found on mountain trips, boat trips and scenic trains.
    • Rail pass options – And yes, I’d look at the Swiss Travel Pass Flex or the Swiss Half Fare Card with having 2 weeks in between your Swiss stay.
    • To be sure which rail pass is the best for your specific itinerary you need to plan out all trips you will make (train, bus, boat, cable car) and compare the prices for regular tickets to the rail pass price (and which routes/mountains are free or discounted). Once you have that information you can read our page here on how to choose the best rail pass. There is a spreadsheet there to help with the math. 🙂

The mountains near Lucerne will be easiest to get to from Basel. The Jungfraujoch, in the Jungfrau region will be long day trips.

Arno
    15484 posts
    8 June 2018 at 7:47:48 #887676

Hi Amit,

There’s not much to see in Interlaken. I would not plan a whole day for that. There is a lot to see in the areas around Interlaken though. If you want to see the town you can add an extra hour to your Jungfraujoch day. That day will be long day anyway 🙂

http://www.myswissalps.com/in terlaken

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 June 2018 at 14:40:20 #887677

Gunzel, Lucas and Arno

Thanks for taking time and providing the information. Guess, I need to do little more research and plan fix routes for 4 days of swiss trip. SO much to see and do in this beauty country. Thanks again. Regards

Gunzel
    Participant
    241 posts
    8 June 2018 at 20:15:17 #887678

The walk along the path between the two stations in Interlaken is pleasant. It passes the Harder funicular and is a pleasant way of combining boat trips on the lake.

“Downtown” Interlaken can be rather busy with groups of noisy international tourists.

There are some lovely, more local, restaurants and cafes, in the Unterseen district, a short walk from Interlaken West station.

Enjoy your travels!

• The thread ‘4 day itinerary help for Switzerland in Basel’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.