4 day Switzerland planning help -late May

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 April 2018 at 8:55:26 #815450

Good day friends, We are planned to visit Switzerland from 21/05/18 till 24/05/18.

We have a flight from Zurich to Amsterdam on 25/05/18 early morning, hence would like to spend evening of 24th May in Zurich.

We are a family of 4 – my wife, myself & a son of 13 years and daughter of 8 years. Can you please guide me to plan the best for this trip (the first ever to Swiss) from 20/05/18 arrival to Zurich at 5.30pm from Paris by train.

I have already made my hotel booking at Lucerne for 4 nights (starting from 20/05/18 till 23/05/18 and 24th will be check out day) as one of my friends suggested that the base should be at Lucerne.

So I need to find my way out to reach Lucerne from Zurich on 20/05/18 as well. Thank you so much in advance. Appreciated.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 April 2018 at 9:50:31 #882838

Hi MukeshLagos and welcome to MySwissAlps!

As far as getting to Lucerne, you can use the Swiss railways timetable to find the best route (by default it gives you the most direct options). It only takes about an hour from Zurich airport and some trains are direct.

For ideas on what to do on your trip have a look at the following links:

The last three areas are all roughly, 2-3 hours, one-way by train from Lucerne.
    For information on how to choose the best rail pass (once you’ve decided where you are going each day look here.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 April 2018 at 9:59:38 #882839

Thanks so much Lucas, a quick suggestion needed please….Is it good to buy swiss rail pass (of appropriate choice) online or I should buy when I reach Switzerland?

Also, if you may suggest some areas worth visiting in Lucerne, Interlaken & other nearby areas, which I should not skip in this visit. Your comments highly appreciated.

Thank you.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 April 2018 at 10:12:09 #882840

Hi Mukesh,

I’d buy the rail pass online. Many can be emailed to you so you can print at home (and have an electronic back up in case you lose it). The Swiss Travel Pass is very popular and one that you can have emailed to you when buying it online.

What not to miss depends on budget and your family’s interests. Around Interlaken, a boat cruise on Lake Thun is great (as is Thun itself).
    If you want mountain experiences, than Jungfraujoch is the most popular (but pricey). The nearby Schilthorn is a great option as well (and free if you are traveling on the Swiss Travel Pass). I’d try to do one of those mountains for sure.

Around Lucerne there are mountains and Lake Lucerne (noted on links on my first reply) and all are good options – again it is about personal preference. Perhaps a scenic train ride could be fit in to your schedule but its tough with your limited time. Have a look at the Golden Pass train route or the Gotthard Panoramic Express – both start in Lucerne but take around 5 hours one-way.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 April 2018 at 10:20:28 #882841

Thanks so much Lucas, I appreciate your quick feedback.

• The thread ‘4 day Switzerland planning help -late May’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.