4 days in Switzerland with Swiss Travel Pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 August 2017 at 12:31:44 #812960

Hello friends,

We are a couple from India planning for a trip in Switzerland around mid Oct., 2017. As on the other end on our trip, we are covering some other parts of Europe as well, we’re a bit concerned about the cost on the Swiss trip. While I could see some very useful posts, would request your expert advice with some specific questions w.r.t. the below itinerary:

Day 0: Paris to Zermatt (via Lusanne/ Geneva as the gateway station to Switzerland). Night stay at Zermatt.

Day 1: Visit Matterhorn and Gornergrat. Night stay at Zermatt.

Day 2: Travel to Lucern and do site seeing. Night stay at Lucern.

Day 3: Visit Mt. Rigi. Night stay at Lucern.

Day 4: Train to Zurich. Catch flight to Bangalore.

Questions:

i. Can we cover both Matternhorn and Gornergrat in one day? We’d start the day as early as possible.

ii. Can my Swiss Travel Pass (4 consecutive days) cover the following? Could you validate the below understanding?

– Day 0: Trains from Lusanne/ Geneva to Zermatt – Free (we intend to travel from Paris Lyon station to Lusanne/ Geneva in a train booked on the French railways site voyages sncf; Is the rest of of the journey within Switzerland free by using the Swiss Travel Pass? This means I don’t have to buy a point to point ticket from Lusanne/ Geneva to Zermatt. Please validate.)

– Day 1 50% discount on cable cars up to Matterhorn and 50% discount on cog wheel train up to Gornergrat

– Day 2 Trains from Zermatt to Lucern – Free

– Day 3 All boats and trains to Mt. Rigi – Free

iii. Option for Plan B: What’s the best option for a plan B in case we find the weather to be not cooperating for Day 1 itinerary? Should we take a train to Lucern or to Grindelwald/ Wengen/ Lauterbunnen and plan some hiking/ site seeing? We’re not keeping Jungfrau on this trip intentionally for cost and other factors, but this will definitely be on top of our list on our next trip to Switzerland.

Thank you.

S

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 August 2017 at 8:03:23 #868332

Hi Benga1109 and welcome to MySwissAlps!

This looks like a reasonable trip here for 4 days. Let’s see about your questions:

1. You can’t visit the Matterhorn. Perhaps you are thinking of the Klein Matterhorn (also known as the Glacier Paradise)? You could visit both the Klein Matterhorn and Gornergrat in one day yes. Both offer great views of the Matterhorn itself – I would choose just one, but that is up to you. You get 50% off both trips with the Swiss Travel Pass.
    2. The Swiss Travel Pass covers almost all travel in Switzerland (and no other countries). So you would just need a ticket from Paris to Geneva which you can buy here.
    3. It isn’t feasible to take a train from Zermatt to Lucerne or Lauterbrunnen area for a day trip to hike. It would take about 3 hours each way – so I guess you can do this if you want? You may want to hang around Zermatt in case the weather improves in the afternoon to go into the mountains.

Use the Swiss railways timetable to plan trips and see how long it will take you to get there.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 August 2017 at 10:50:42 #868333

Thanks much Lucas! The information you provided is of great help! I am at much more ease now.

Yeah, I’d be slow and probably visit only one between the two on a day. The links are indeed very helpful.

Thank you.

Sudipta.

• The thread ‘4 days in Switzerland with Swiss Travel Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.