4 days itinerary in Jungfrau region in September

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 May 2019 at 4:56:31 #821671

hi guys,

i have planned for the 4 days itinerary, staying in Wengen for 4 nights. i hope that the experts can help review and see if its a good one:

Day 1: (thursday)

– arrive in Zurich in early morning

– spend the morning to early noon in Lucerne

-check in to Wengen

-cycling in Lauterbrunnen – visits the falls etc

Day 2: (friday)

– cable car to Mannilichen. Mannlichen to Kleine scheidegg Panorama Trial

-train to Grindelward

-Grindelward cable car to First. hike to Bachalsee. First Cliff walk etc

Day 3: (saturday)

-visit Bern or Thun and Interlaken

-harder kulm in the evening. dinner at harder kulm

Day 4: (sunday)

-lauterbrunnen to Grutschalp to Winteregg. breakfast at winteregg restaurant

-hike to Murren

– Paragliding at Murren

-visit Oeschinensee

What do you guys think, is it comfortable in terms of pacing and the ideal days to do that? of course, weather permitting. any suggestions in additional places are very welcomed.

Jimmy

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    16 May 2019 at 6:02:10 #912468

Hi Jimmy,

You look like a young and energetic guy. Even so, I would not be surprised if you end up doing less than what you plan at this stage.

Day one is probably feasible, although it depends a bit on the early time at which you arrive in Zurich. It looks like jet lag is no problem for you.

You don’t say when your trip will occur, so we can’t tell you if the Panorama Trail will be snow free or not.

I, and possibly other participants of this forum, do not advise on paragliding which is a dangerous sport, it’s all up to you.

Day 4 will bring you to the Guiness Book after you achive it, even if you skip the paragliding part. Going from Wengen to Oeschinensee by public transport takes almost four hours (one way, that is).

Have a great time!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 May 2019 at 12:26:47 #912469

thank you for your input.

my trip is in september, as indicated in my title. i read that the trails should be open. correct me if i am wrong .

i will look into the paragliding again, based on your suggestion, thanks!

a for Day 4, we are driving to Kandersteg, which according to google maps, its around 1 hour. i provisioned for 2 hours, so it may be doable. but i am reserving this option depending on the amount of time i have on that day, its not a must do for me.

also open to suggestions in addition to my itinerary, and even possibly replacing some parts. thanks again!

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    16 May 2019 at 12:41:21 #912470

September, yes. I must wipe my eyeglasses. So of course the Panorama Trail should be snow free, unless exceptiomal weather events occur.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 May 2019 at 3:37:22 #912471

Hello Jimmy,

I agree that your overall programme is rather full and depends on how long days you want to spend and how energetic you are!

For details on the Jungfrau Region generally and the trail you mention specifically, use below links.
    http://www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfrauregion, you will find lots of things to do in the “What to do” tab
    http://www.myswissalps.com/hi king/maennlichen-kleinescheidegg

Apart from typing your destinations into the search box for more details on them also check:
    http://www.myswissalps.com/be rneseoberland
    http://www.myswissalps.com/la kebrienz
    http://www.myswissalps.com/la kethun
    http://www.myswissalps.com/sc hynigeplatte

I personally have never done paragliding, but quite often have guests on my tours doing this activity, and they are to 100% THRILLED with the experience! The Bernese Oberland is quite famous for the outdoor activities:
    http://www.outdoor-interlaken.ch
    http://www.paragliding-interlaken.ch/de

To keep en eye on the weather use the following link and always ask locally before heading off into the mountains.
    http://www.myswissalps.com/we ather/forecast

Hope this provides some input and inspiration.

Best,
    Steph

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 May 2019 at 17:07:23 #912472

I would suggest taking the little train to Murren. The walk up would be amongst trees and few views. Spend the night in Murren and walk the ridge walk that gives wonderful views of the mountains, plus sheep and cows!. Then up to the revolving restaurant above Murren that gives fantastic 360 degree views of mountains.

You can also take the train from Murren across the valley and half way up to Yungfrau…then walk the final half or take the train all the way up and walk down..either way is great!!

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    19 May 2019 at 18:38:47 #912473

Dear Meserve

I assume you have been to Mürren, because your description of the walks there look convincing.

On the other hand… < take the train from Murren across the valley and half way up to Yungfrau…then walk the final half >

First, there is no place in Switzerland called Yungfrau, but I assume you mean Jungfrau (4158 m elevation), or, to be more accurate, Jungfraujoch (3453 m elevation). Let me state very clearly that there is no way Jimmy or almost anyone else could walk to Jungfrau or Jungfraujoch. That would imply going up the Guggi Glacier which has many dangerous crevasses. It would be in theory only accessible to experienced climbers guided by a professional guide. As it would be, compared to other climbing opportunities in the region, totally uninteresting, I would not be surprized if even professional mountain guides have never done that.

The only pedestrian access to Jungfraujoch is from the south, via the Jungfraufirn Glacier. That itinerary is mostly used by alpine skiers, down from Jungfraujoch to Concordia Hut and then further down the Aletsch Glacier, or up again, westwards, to Lötschental. Also to be done with professional mountain guides.

The Jungfrau peaks at 4158 m and is reached by experienced climbers only. Beautiful… But this forum is just not in the same league…

I am sure there is some kind of misunderstanding in your statement, you may mean hiking from Eigergletscher to Kleine Scheidegg. Jimmy can look at a topo map here: map.schweizmobil.ch/?lang=en&season=summer& bgLayer=pk&logo=yes&re solution=9.04&E=264097 5&N=1154959&layers=Wan derland

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 May 2019 at 21:55:47 #912474

You are totally correct, Snowman,

I’m sorry I gave out incorrect information. I was writing on my phone in the car, and must have hit the wrong key, as of course it is the Jungfrau, not Yungfrau.

We did stay in Murren for five days, about five years ago, and went everywhere by train, but since we are in our 80s, we did not do a lot of hiking. I guess I remembered the ride to Jungfrau incorrectly. I just remember seeing people walking along paths leading off the train, at several stops, but, as you say, it must have been from Kleine Scheidegg to Eigergletscher, as we slowly wended our way up to the steeper ascent to the Jungfraujoch, where you can eat and walk around in the snow, but obviously not ascend the mountain peak itself.

In Murren, there is a short ride on the Allmendhubel funicular to the panoramic restaurant, where you can have breakfast or lunch, and from there take a 2 1/2 hour hike up the Northface Trail, via Schiltap, where there are spectacular views across the valley to the Eiger.

Even the short walk along a beautiful ridge and meadows from Murren to Gimmelwald takes at least an hour each way, so combine that with the Northface Trail and it’s a day’s work right there.

We bought a Jungfraubahnen pass, which gave us free access to trains from Interlaken to Lauterbrunnen, and I believe Wengen as well, but I think the fee was extra to Murren, and I know there was an extra fee from Eigergletscher to Jungfraujoch.

It takes time to go by train to all of those places. I would suggest more than four days. And I agree with the others that his plans sound very ambitious…I didn’t mean to add even more by suggesting he climb the Jungfrau.

Thanks for catching that.

Helen Meserve

• The thread ‘4 days itinerary in Jungfrau region in September’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.