4 days of hiking between Zermatt and Zurich

• Wander12
    Participant
    11 posts
    21 April 2019 at 19:21:56 #821126

We our leaving Zermatt on Aug 12 have 4 full days till leaving Zurich on the 16th. Looking for suggestions hiking to hut to hut or inn to inn and fill in with train to arrive in Zurich on the 15th. We have hiked and stayed in Wengen, Murren, Grindelwald, Leukerbad-Gemmi Pass- and all over Zermatt. We would like to hike and stay the east side of Switzerland but don’t want to spend t2/8 on the train to get to Chur etc. We have booked a Zurich airport hotel for the night of the 15th and when we get there we get there. Looking for suggestions on making our way to Zurich in those 4 days.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    Wander12
    Participant
    11 posts
    22 April 2019 at 1:56:16 #910008

Thank you

Annika
    7104 posts
    22 April 2019 at 6:54:58 #910009

Hi Wander12! There are plenty of options to choose from. If you’re interested in the eastern part of Switzerland, I’m afraid there’s no other way than to accept the train journey to get there :-). I highly recommend Graubünden. It’s a hikers’ paradise and generally less crowded than some of the more popular areas in August. Just in case you still consider it, please find tips at myswissalps.com/graubu nden/activities. Alternatively, the eastern part of the Rhone valley might be interesting for you. It can be well reached from Zermatt and is absolutely beautiful as well: myswissalps.com/upperr honevalley.

Wander12
    Participant
    11 posts
    4 May 2019 at 19:41:03 #910010

Thank you very much that is very helpful! If, you have a favorite place please let me know.

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    5 May 2019 at 11:45:52 #910011

Hi Wander12

You could do the 4-day Via Sbrinz. Go to the map suggested by Slowpoke in post #2. Find itinerary #40.

You would do stages 4 to 1, in the reverse direction as compared to the description, from Obergestein to Stansstad. You reach Obergestein from Zermatt by train, and from Stansstad it’s a short train ride to Zurich.

Wander12
    Participant
    11 posts
    5 May 2019 at 12:46:02 #910012

Thank you very much. I appreciate your help in telling me the exact itinerary number.i like the description and it’s going where we are heading to. We were looking at train from Zermatt to Betten to hike from Bettmerhorn to Eggishorn. Is that possible to add to your suggestion? The map looks like it’s all in the same direction. If, we would hike there first then leave from Fiesch and train to Obergestein? Or thru hike and connect to 40? Is that possible? if any of this is possible accommodations/food would be the next step we would need to figure out. You have been a big help in sorting this out.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 May 2019 at 15:50:08 #910013

Hi Wander12,

Sounds like a lovely trip! Besides the suggestions you will get from Snowman, you can check our hiking guide here http://www.myswissalps.com/hi king where you can browse hikes by difficulty and location.

Enjoy your trip to Switzerland!

Maria.

Wander12
    Participant
    11 posts
    5 May 2019 at 18:07:10 #910014

Thank you. We are counting down the days! Even tho we are tourists we avoid tourists like the plague. No choice in Jungfrau and Zermatt areas but after that we are looking for the least amount i.e kids and families and groups with the flag waving leader etc. Opinions on this hike for enjoyment of just nature? Thanks

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 May 2019 at 18:34:07 #910015

Hi Wander12,

If you really want to avoid tourists I am not sure you are going to the right areas – the Jungfrau region is the most touristy part of Switzerland both with national and international tourists…

If you have already seen a bit of Switzerland, then I would propose you to consider other but equally beautiful parts of Switzerland with great hiking: canton of Neuchatel, Valais (several hidden valleys there not just the obvious ones), the Engadin valley in Graubuden, Appenzell, Ticino e.g. Verzasca valley and surroundings, Aletsch glacier arena, Champery in Portes de Soleil, the Jura, Gruyeres-Moleson to name but a few. A couple of links:

There will still be tourists, but fewer of them 🙂

I’m sure others will have more suggestions!

Maria.

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    5 May 2019 at 20:06:39 #910016

Hi again,

You could do stretches 2 and 3 of trail #39, Aletsch Panoramaweg. Train to Mörel, cable car to Riederalp. Hike starts there, stretch 2 goes as far as Lake Märjelen, stretch 3 from there down to Bellwald. About 8 hours of hiking not counting stops. So you need to be experienced hikers, in good condition. Difficult, but not dangerous. Stretch 1 will give you a spectacular view on Aletsch Glacier, the largest glacier of the Alps (as long as we still have it). As soon as you are on hiking trails, you’ll be away from the big crowds. Start with the earliest possible train from Zermatt if you want to do that. From Bellwald, take the cable car to Bellwald station, and the train to Ulrichen if you want to reach the Via Sbrinz discussed previously. You may want to spend the night in Bellwald, though.

As a.compensation for the extra day, I suggest you skip the stretch Engelberg to Stansstad of trail #40, which is not so interesting. Take the train in Engelberg to Lucerne, and onwards to Zurich.

The link I gave you in my previous post gives suggestions for accommodations.

Wander12
    Participant
    11 posts
    5 May 2019 at 20:20:05 #910017

Oct 2018 we stayed in Wengen and hiked for about 3 days but ran out of time for hiking Grindelwald, First etc. did some of the Wengen and Murren areas so we thought we would return for 4 days. Grindelwald a night, 2 nights Wengen and a night in Murren bases to hike out and return late in the day. Last October it was beautiful! Not too cold, gorgeous Autumn. ! We were there during the week and not too crowded. So I was hoping that since this would be during the week again it wouldn’t be people on top of people. But maybe we should reconsider. Thank you very much I really appreciate your advice. I will check out your suggestions.

Wander12
    Participant
    11 posts
    5 May 2019 at 20:35:16 #910018

Thank you Snowman you helped me so much with this end of our trip. I will look into the accommodations for those legs. If, it was up to you would you stay overnight in Zermatt and take the earliest train or stay where the hike would begin? To get an early start on the trail?

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    5 May 2019 at 20:37:15 #910019

I would definitely stay at Riederalp. It’s always better to start a hike early, plus, it will be much cheaper.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 May 2019 at 21:13:24 #910020

Hi Wander12

Ah yes that makes a lot of sense as October is low season. I guess as you are hiking you will see a different type of tourist on the trails than those at the touristy towns so I’m sure it will be a great experience. Snowman has some excellent suggestions.

You can always visit the areas I mentioned on your next trip to Switzerland 😉

Maria.

Wander12
    Participant
    11 posts
    5 May 2019 at 21:53:32 #910021

Thank you just booked.

Wander12
    Participant
    11 posts
    5 May 2019 at 22:12:46 #910022

Maria, Never enough time! 😉 We did pretty well with our plans last fall. We just ran out of time! We did not plan the whole trip till we arrived in Wengen. With being October and weather getting colder and maybe some snow and huts etc closing we rented a car. It gave us the mobility to go anywhere. First time we go anywhere we like to see different parts of a country. Kinda get the taste of what interests us. Then revisit if need be. So with all the tourists in Grindelwald would you just go and deal with it? The hotel hosts in Wengen, Leukerbad and Zermatt were fabulous!

• The thread ‘4 days of hiking between Zermatt and Zurich’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.