September in Switzerland, 4 nights in 1/2 places

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 October 2019 at 1:40:19 #824276

Hello, we are just beginning our planning for a trip the first week of Sept 2020 from the U.S. We will be in Switzerland for 4 nights then on to Austria.

My husband and I prefer nature, mountain views, culture, villages, and not extremely strenuous hikes. We are not into cities at all. We do not have specifics yet for exactly what we will do but from what I have read, it seems that the options around Interlaken and Lucerne would be perfect for us and the limited time that we have.

We are considering two options and were hoping that we could get some advice on our thoughts.

1. Fly into Geneva and take the Golden Pass line from Montreux to Interlaken where we would stay for 2 nights and then onto Lucerne for two nights and then to Zurich to take the train to Salzburg.

2. Fly into Zurich instead of Geneva but pretty much the same after that.

The price difference in flying is really not significant so that is not an issue. We were trying not to back track too much and figured that if we started in Geneva that we could see more of the country. We were wanting your thoughts on that.

The second thing is our base for the 4 nights. Would it work staying 2 and 2 like we are thinking or should we stay all 4 nights in one place.

Thank you so much for any advice. We are so excited but want to make the best decisions. Once over this hurdle then I can concentrate on train passes, accommodations, and itineraries for activities.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Luke
    Participant
    105 posts
    23 October 2019 at 1:12:04 #924062

Hi Deblss01 and welcome to MySwissAlps!

With the train leaving from Zurich to get to Salzburg I’d fly into Geneva as it avoids backtracking to Zurich, as you note.

I think for 4 nights I’d be tempted to stay in one place. Especially if you are only considering between the Interlaken area and Lucerne (they are only 2 hours by train apart) so day trips are fine for most people.

However, If you want to both visit Lucerne and finish the entire Golden Pass route then you could move to Lucerne for 2 nights as you’ll head there anyway from Interlaken on to Zurich. This is really just personal preference about changing hotels more than once. Lucerne to Zurich is easy the morning of departure to Salzburg as well.

See timetable here: http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

That being said, don’t stay in Interlaken – head into one of the smaller towns we recommend in the Jungfrau region: http://www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfrauregion

When you are ready for more details don’t hesitate to ask. Have a look here at the various train passes you can compare:

http://www.myswissalps.com/sw issrailpasses

http://www.myswissalps.com/mu lticountrypasses

and the invaluable “how to choose a pass” page: http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 October 2019 at 18:33:50 #924063

Hello deblss01,

Welcome to MySwissAlps!

1. It would make sense if you fly into Geneva airport and work your way up to Zurich by train when you are flying out of there to Salzburg.

2. I agree with that in reverse logic with the travel plans.

3. Staying 4 days in one travel base or the 2/2 is a personal preference. I like things as simple as possible when I am traveling, so I would prefer the 4 days in one place.

Interlaken is a strategic base town for the Bernese Oberland. It has two train station there: Interlaken Ost as the main one and Interlaken West as the smaller one.

Interlaken:

Bernese Oberland:

I hope these links will help you get started. Please feel free to write back again.

Best regards,

Suzanne

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    24 October 2019 at 23:32:14 #924064

Hi deblss01 –

Thanks for giving us exact dates, the nature of your group, and your preferences.

<<“culture, villages, and not extremely strenuous hikes.”>>

If culture means museums, Luzern and Zürich have loads of them.

If it means the heart of the country, the Emmental is a good option. Since Switzerland is so diverse, there is no single “heart of the country”, but the Emmental is a good start:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/langnau-in-may/page/3

<<“We were trying not to back track too much and figured that if we started

in Geneva that we could see more of the country. We were wanting your

thoughts on that.”>>

The train on the slow route from Montreux is really nice….especially the first part.

It is part of the Golden Pass Route:

http://www.myswissalps.com/go ldenpass

and, near Luzern,

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/the-swiss-path-and-southern-lake-lucerne.

For days when the rest of Switzerland north of the Alps is socked in:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/bls-sudrampe-trail

For one of the best easy but spectacular walks in the Jungfrau region:

http://www.myswissalps.com/hi king/maennlichen-kleinescheidegg

Easy enough to be called the Grannies’ Walk by locals, but, it is at about 2220 meters elevation…around 7000 feet.

Images attached.

Other hikes:

http://www.myswissalps.com/hi king

If you are map fans,there are some good ones. Let us know.

Slowpoke

PS -much as I appreciate Luke’s knowledge and experience, I would support two bases…Luzern and a village near the Jungfrau (not Interlaken) such as Wengen:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/tips-about-wengen-and-the-jungfrau-region-by-kim

Two hours one way turns into four hours on the trip. Nice trip, but……

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    26 October 2019 at 2:49:27 #924065

Hello debisso1,

Four nights is a very short stay so you will need to be fairly brutal about deciding what you can and can’t do/see.

Given your interests I think I would be inclined to fly to Zurich and get straight to to a Jungfrau village such as Wengen. There is more than enough to do to fill in 4/5 days in the Jungfrau Region/Bernese Oberland. If you are not big on cities then Luzern may not have great appeal – although it is not a big city in the true sense of the word.

My wife and I recently stayed in Thun for a week and travelled all over the Bernese Oberland. It was extremely easy to pack the days with very enjoyable excursions.

Geneva Airport to Interlaken is going to take you 5 -6 hours if you want to follow the Golden Pass route. I don’t think I’d be up for that after an international flight.

If you arrive in Zurich you can go by train via Bern to Interlaken. On you way back to Zurich you can go via Luzern so you get two completely different routes.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 October 2019 at 3:01:00 #924066

Thank you to everyone for such wonderful advice. My husband and I have some decisions to make and then continue with the more specific issues. This has been a great resource for information and very much appreciated.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 October 2019 at 20:43:24 #924067

This website and all of you have been beyond helpful and I am so very thankful! I have a rough itinerary that I am hoping I can get some advice on. After I narrow down the itinerary then I can work on determining what type of pass or 1/2 fare card or point to point transportation to get using the spreadsheet. Of course I wish we had so much more time, we are limited as it is our first trip to Europe but I have a feeling that we will definitely be back.

Day 1: Arrive in Zurich from the US, then on to Wengen via Train through Bern to get there the fastest route. Get settled in Wengen where we will stay for 3 nights. Since we may have a little jet lag, go to Lauterbrunnen Valley and explore a bit and Staubbach Falls.

Day 2: To Mannlichen, Grindewald, First-Bachsee-First, Grindewald, Kleine Scheidegg and back to Wengen.

Day 3: Murren and to Schilthorn then possibly the bus back to Stechelberg and stopping to see Trummelbach Falls.

Day 4: Train to Lucerne for one night. I am thinking to do Mt. Titlis since we are thinking of not doing Jungfraujoch because of the crowds. I would also like to do some sort of cruise on Lake Lucerne.

Day 5: Head to Zurich and train onto Salzburg.

Any advice, observations, or general thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you very much!

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    27 October 2019 at 22:07:51 #924068

Sounds like a plan.

For day 4 consider the Pilatus Golden Round Trip (can be done clockwise or anti-clockwise) which includes a cable way, cog railway and lake cruise as an alternative to Titlis.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    27 October 2019 at 22:21:11 #924069

Hi deblss01

That looks a like a workable itinerary. We don’t have your exact dates, contrary to my earlier statement…unless I lost them somewhere….which is always helpful. So, just watch out for the crowds at the time of the Jungfrau Marathon:

http://www.jungfrau-marathon.ch/en/

September 11, 12 in 2020

On Day 2, you might consider this walk as an alternative or option,

http://www.myswissalps.com/hi king/maennlichen-kleinescheidegg

as illustrated above in this thread. But what you have selected will be quite nice, as long as the weather is good. The Bachsee is a nice walk, not too hard. Although you may notice the climb up at the begining as far as approximately You will spend a lot of time on the admittedly scenic forms of transportation.

It might also fit on Day3. But, once again, what you have selected is a very comfortable, easy day, with great scenery. If you mean this:

<<“not extremely strenuous hikes.”>>

You walk on the valley floor some of that part of the day, instead of doing it all by bus.

Day 4- Save some time to walk around Luzern. In spite of the crowds, which will diminish in September, there are many good reasons why it is worthwhile.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 October 2019 at 0:34:40 #924070

We will be gone by Sept 11th so that will work fine. I did want to do the hike that you gave a link to as well. I guess I need to figure out the logistics a little more for that day.

Thank you, thank you, to everyone!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    28 October 2019 at 1:50:10 #924071

<<“I did want to do the hike that you gave a link to as well. I guess I

need to figure out the logistics a little more for that day.”>>

I’d look at day 3. Hope for good weather. Maybe do it in the AM, Schilthorn in the PM, and sacrifice the time on the the valley floor/ Trummelbach falls. There all good, so you’ll enjoy either one. Simply,it is just my personal opinion the the Männlichen to Kleine Scheidegg walk is a much more special event. Opinions can vary. 😉

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 October 2019 at 0:01:39 #924072

Forgive me for my lack of sense, but I am having a hard time figuring out the costs of train tickets point to point, 1/2 price, or travel pass. I am trying to fill in the spreadsheet but am very surprised that it looked like it cost more to travel from Wengen to Lauterbrunnen when looking at the regular pricing then from Zurich to Wengen. I must be doing something wrong because that makes no sense that a 3 hour trip would be the same price as a 30 minute trip.

If we are staying in Wengen, then we will be doing a lot of train, cable car, bus, etc and it looks to me that we may be better off with the 4 day Travel Pass.

Again, I apologize for my naivety and confusion. Any help would be appreciated. Y’all will probably tire of me asking questions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    29 October 2019 at 1:44:23 #924073

You are doing something wrong but don’t worry – we are here to help. Ask away.

By far the best way to check timetables, find fares* and buy tickets on-line if required is using the SBB Mobile app (bit.ly/2ICIUHi). In the unlikely event you don’t have a device capable of running the app then you can use the timetable on the SBB website (bit.ly/2HH1U7B). If you are not familiar with using the timetable it will pay to first read the instructions at http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable.

* The SBB website shows half-fare prices by default, the mobile app allows you to nominate whether to show full or half-fares (by editing the passenger details in settings) and is also smart enough to offer you the Saver Day Pass (http://www.myswissalps.com/sa verdaypass) if that offers the best fare. The app also show a platform map (at least at the larger stations) to help you make conections.

You will find the full fare from Wengen to Lauterbrunnen is CHF6.80.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    29 October 2019 at 9:11:45 #924074

Hi deblss01 –

When I am at home, where my computer monitor screen is much larger than a smartphone or tablet screen, I find that a desktop or laptop computer provides an easier and more comfortable interface for planning work. Maps especially. I also certainly agree with the utility of the smart phone app, especially if you are actually traveling. Rockoyster is a member of a younger generation than I, and is more comfortable with modern tools than I. 😉

Train fares in the Jungfrau Region-

They can be confusing because of the way that the Federation, cantons, perhaps even the local governments ( die Gemeinde) subsidize fares between population centers. It is social policy in Switzerland to maintain good and not expensive public transport throughout the Federation for all citizens, even in remote valleys. Buses between communities may be run by private firms, regional entities, or die Post ( the famous yellow buses). The valley runs are definitely subsidized, no matter who actually runs the service.

The population centers near the Jungfrau, and on the way out to the rest of Switzerland, are Wengen, Stechelberg, Lauterbrunnen, Mürren ( and Gimmelwald) as well as Grindelwald. And, the towns in the valley on the way out to Interlaken, where the main line rail services are accessed. The famous tourist destinations, (e.g., Jungfraujoch, Kleine Scheidegg, Schilthorn. Männlichen) are served by ( for want of a better word) excursion trains/cableways.

The transport, no matter whether railroads or cableways or buses between those population centers is relatively cheap….hence the 6.80 CHF full fare between Lauterbrunnen and Wengen. The same train that provides that service may continue on to Kleine Scheidegg for 24 CHF full-fare. From Wengen onward, it is no longer inter-city public transport, it is an excursion service. Hence, much higher fares. Little or no subsidy. Difficult terrain. Different rules for discounting fares when traveling on some rail passes.

The longer 2-stage journey between LB and Mürren via Stechelberg is

15.60 CHF. With a half fare card (the first price shown in the

timetable) it is 7.80 C HF.

A long explanation, but it gives glimpse into how public transport is run in Switzerland. The fare cost, transportation mode, and ownership of the equipment are all discrete and often owned, run or determined (the fares) by different entities.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘September in Switzerland, 4 nights in 1/2 places’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.