4 Nights in Switzerland

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 February 2012 at 16:06:18 #804927

Greetings!

My husband and I will be in Basel the morning of Sunday, Sept. 16. We will spend Sun night, Mon night, Tues night and leave either Wed. night or Thurs. morning out of either Zurich or Geneva. We love train travel, so hope to get the most out of the Swiss train experience and purchase the Swiss Pass. Based on everything we’ve read, we think Bern, Interlaken area, Montreax, Zermatt & Luzern would be good to see.

1. What type of Swiss Pass do you recommend?
    2. Which airport is easiest/least expensive to fly to the United States/Chicago?
    3. What itinerary options would you suggest?

Thank you,
    LANative

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    21 February 2012 at 11:21:10 #834890

Hell LANative, and welcome to the forum! Since you’ll be traveling in September, you should definitely look into the 2 for 1 offer for either the 4 day Swiss Saver Pass or the 4 day Swiss Saver Flexi Pass. Both will be a great deal for your itinerary.

I’m not sure if you’ll manage see all destinations you mention during a 3 to 4 day stay. The trips you mention are all worth your time. If weather is great, I would focus on the mountain area if I were you. Depending on the town you’ll be staying in, the Interlaken region (including the Jungfraujoch) and Lucerne are wonderful. (So is Zermatt, which would be the more logical option if you plan to stay in Geneva a couple of nights.) The timetable allows you to find out about traveling times and train connections, and will give you a good idea of what’s doable and what’s not.

I don’t have any experience with flights from the US to Switzerland. Maybe someone else can help you out on this one.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 February 2012 at 23:04:06 #834891

Thank you Annika!
    We will get the 2 for 1 4-day Swiss Saver Pass. I used the timetable and found it has Murren listed 3 different ways. What is the best way to know each train station and their locations?
    LANative

Annika
    7116 posts
    23 February 2012 at 9:52:14 #834892

Hi LANative. The abbreviations for Murren are confusing indeed. They refer to the railway station (BLM) or the cable car stations for the Schilthorn and Stechelberg (LSMS). It doesn’t really matter which one you choose, as they’re all close to one another. The timetable will provide all details on the connection you choose.

• The thread ‘4 Nights in Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.