Lucerne for hiking? June 19-23

• amctammany
    Participant
    2 posts
    12 March 2017 at 19:11:15 #811049

Dear All,

I will be visiting Switzerland this summer, flying in and out of Zurich. I am mostly interested in hiking in the mountains, preferably in relatively non-touristy areas. My initial thought was to stay in Lucerne for the entire time, taking day trips. Is that a better idea than relocating to a place like Lauterbrunnen for two nights? I would appreciate suggestions on this as well as possible hiking destinations. Thanks so much for any advice! Let me know if more detail is required.

Andrew

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 March 2017 at 7:34:27 #860003

Hi Amctammany and welcome to MySwissAlps!

The top hiking and mountain destinations here in Switzerland will be fairly busy in the summer – hard to avoid other travelers unfortunately.

Luzern (local German spelling) is a popular city and well situated to take advantage of nearby mountain attractions. However, these mountains are easily accessible and will be busy in the summer – but are beautiful destinations, like Mt. Pilatus and Mt. Rigi etc.

Interlaken and smaller villages such as Lauterbrunnen, Murren and Wengen are closer to many hiking destinations.
    These towns are also popular to tourists, but I think I can say that hikes in this area won’t be quite so ‘touristy’. That is to say that tourists are there to hike, rather than near Luzern where people are going up the mountains for the views and some food before returning back down.

You can click on the links for these towns I added to read more about the destination and what there is to do in the area – to help give you some ideas.

Let us know if you have more specific questions!

Lucas

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    16 March 2017 at 1:23:24 #860004

Here is some information that you might find useful.

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/the-swiss-path-and-southern-lake-lucerne

If you want a detailed guide to hiking , try “Switzerland Mobility”

http://www.wanderland.ch/en/h iking-in-switzerland.html

It does take a little experimentation to find your way into it. The reward is fantastically complete information.

You get a detailed topo map for hikes, altitude profiles, and discussion of accommodations along the route.

You won’t get a rating for tourist density, but you can make some judgements based n the descriptions.

By the way- high alpine trails only open in mid June (varies +/- a couple of weeks depending on the snow pack left from the winter.). You might still find some closed above 2000 meters for snow pack or snowslide concerns.

Slowpoke

amctammany
    Participant
    2 posts
    16 March 2017 at 11:38:51 #860005

Thanks so much for this information! I appreciate the help and insight!

Andrew

• The thread ‘Lucerne for hiking? June 19-23’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10940 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.