5 day in Switzerland – planning help for April

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 February 2018 at 6:37:32 #814381

I wanted to share the itinerary I planned and would be glad to have your comments.

April 09 > Reach Zurich airport at 06.15 and take a train to St Moritz (what would be better – spending first part of the day at Zurich and then proceed to St Motitz or proceed to St Motitz rightaway and spend the second half of the day at St Motitz ?)

April 10 > Take Glacier Express from St Moritz to Zermatt (we were prepared to stay at Zermatt if we could view Matterhorn which probably will not be possible as the train would reach Zermatt at about 5pm). Hence we will take another train from Zermatt to Interlaken the same evening and spend the night at Interlaken.

April 11 > Explore Interlaken area (not sure if we can do both Jungfraujoch as well as Schilthorn) including the 3 vilages over it. We will explore if we can get suitable accommodation in one of the villages. if not, will stay at Interlaken.

April 12 > Spend the morning at Interlaken and proceed to Lucerne in the afternoon. Depending on the time, we will try to take the Interlaken – Lucerne Panoramic Express. Explore Lucerne in the evening.

April 13 > Explore Lucerne area including Pilatus and Titlis (possibly there will be no time to visit Bern)

April 14 > Take an early morning train from Lucerne to Zurich airport as our flight from Zurich leaves at 09.35

Do you think this is doable / feasible or some adjustments can make this 5 day trip better ?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 February 2018 at 8:56:56 #876414

Hi srdebnath and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Apr 9 – I’d go straight to St. Moritz

Apr.10 – It would be 2.5 hours on to Interlaken from Zermatt – long day! Personally I’d stay in Zermatt – you hopefully can get a nice view the next morning of the Matterhorn and its a lovely town to explore for a day if you make time the next morning – check out Gornergrat and Klein Matterhorn.

Use the Swiss railways timetable to plan out all your trips.

Apr 11 – I’d try and get a stay in one of the Jungfrau region villages (Wengen is a favourite) over Interlaken. You can indeed try and do both mountains in one day (if the weather holds out). Use the timetable to plan the trips.

Apr 12 – all direct trains between Interlaken and Luzern are the Interlaken-Luzern express so you’ll be on it. 🙂 you can use the timetable to view the times and trains.

Apr 13 – No you won’t have time to do both mountains and Bern. Any two of the 3 could work though.

Apr 14 – This works – the earliest train gets you to the airport by 0615 which is plenty of time

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 February 2018 at 15:21:33 #876415

Thank you Lucas. Appreciate your comments. I am wondering how long it may take to make a round trip to Gornergrat from Zermatt (excluding the viewing time).

Subrata

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 February 2018 at 15:48:25 #876416

Hi Subrata,

It is 38 minutes one-way. Use the timetable link on my last post to search for all trips you want to make.

• The thread ‘5 day in Switzerland – planning help for April’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.