5 Day Switzerland itinerary – July 2018

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 May 2018 at 15:00:48 #816049

Hello,

I was wondering if you could have a look at the below itinerary I have planned for my family:

1. Thursday 5-Jul Land in Zurich and go straight to Bern (Day in Bern)

2. Friday 6-Jul Bern to Interlaken – Day in Interlaken – Harder kulm

3. Saturday7-Jul Schilthorn – Based near Interlaken OST so not sure which train and cable car to take?

4. Sunday 8-Jul Interlaken to Lucerne – Day in Lucerne (boat ride)

5. Monday 9-Jul Day in Zurich (Flight 10pm)

I am looking to get saver tickets so am a bit confused if I do need to get the Swiss Half fare card or not.

If anyone has any suggestion of where to go visit, eat, etc at the locations then that would be great.

Thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 May 2018 at 21:53:10 #885557

Hi Ash Rai and welcome to MySwissAlps!

• You can read about how to get to Schilthorn here. There are 2 options – you can go up one route and down the other.
    • You can search for schedules on the Swiss railways timetable here.
    • Super Saver fares are not always available so I wouldn’t count on being able to get them all the time. They come and go. The only way to know what is the best rail pass for your specific itinerary is to do the math and compare ticket costs to rail pass costs. We have a page devoted to that to help you: How to choose the best rail pass.
    Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 May 2018 at 3:25:51 #885558

Hi Ash,

>> I am looking to get saver tickets so am a bit confused if I do need to get the Swiss Half fare card or not.

You talk about saver tickets, and Lucas has interpreted that as Supersaver tickets, but I am wondering whether you actually mean a Saver Day Pass. It would be helpful if you could use the official names for tickets and passes to avoid confusion.

If you do in fact mean that you will be buying a number of Saver Day Passes, you need to be aware that the Saver Day Pass does not cover your trips on the funicular from Interlaken to Harder Kulm or on the cable car from Mürren to the Schilthorn. You would have to pay full fare for those, unless you also buy a Swiss Half Fare Card for each adult for CHF 120. That will get you a 50% discount, and you will also get a discount on the Saver Day Pass.

Given your itinerary, I’m not sure that Saver Day Passes would actually be cheaper than a 4-day Swiss Travel Pass. However, there is no way of knowing for sure without costing all your trips out and comparing the results. Lucas has given you guidance on how to do that.

Are there any children aged 6-15 in your family?

Alpenrose

• The thread ‘5 Day Switzerland itinerary – July 2018’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.