5 day stay In Montreux – good day trip?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 April 2018 at 15:50:04 #815212

We will be traveling with a 7 year old from Geneva to Montreux and then would like to take day trips during our visit. Given the renovations on the Golden pass, should we still take the Golden from Montreux to Interlaken? We also want to see Grimwald and ride the gondola, would those be better suited for a second day from the Golden pass adventure? We can rent a car for some of these days…is that bettwe option for any cities? Finally, we would love to experience he chocolate making or a working dairy foe our daughter, do you have recommendations?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 April 2018 at 16:36:37 #881531

Hi Krharrison75 and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Do you mean Grindelwald or Gimmelwald? There are also many gondolas/ cable cars in those areas.

You would not (could not) try to do both the Golden Pass to Interlaken and travel around Grindelwald/Gimmelwald and then return to Montreux on the same day. Use the Swiss Railways timetable to plan out your trips and see the schedule options.

I would still take the Golden Pass with the construction. it is only for about 15 minutes where you are on a bus, out of maybe 3.5 hours to Interlaken.

You can check out chocolate factories near Montreux (Broc): Cailler chocolate factory & Gruyeres cheese factory.

Some ideas around Montreux are listed here. Good mountain trips nearby are the Glacier 3000 (read about my recent trip here) & Rochers-de-Naye.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 April 2018 at 16:53:31 #881532

I meant Grindelwald. Thank you. On the times table, how do I know which is the panoramic ?

Arno
    15482 posts
    8 April 2018 at 18:38:40 #881533

Hi Krharrison75,

A car is rarely a better option than the Swiss trains: http://www.myswissalps.com/ca rversustrain. There are exceptions of course, but the places you mentioned so far do not require a car, nor is it more convenient by car.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 April 2018 at 19:08:36 #881534

On the Golden Pass? The new panoramic are MOB Panoramic and the heritage ones are Belle Epoque on the timetable. You won’t have much luck until after June 1 when the line construction is done though – they are running intermittently and not listed on the timetable due to that.

• The thread ‘5 day stay In Montreux – good day trip?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.