5 days around Lucerne/Interlaken planning

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 April 2018 at 21:17:49 #815391

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to check with you guys if my plan below looks good and I would really appreciate your help in refining it with your valuable suggestions.

I’m travelling with my Wife, parents (58 and 56 years old) and my 10-year-old nephew. My parents cannot walk for long so can you please specify if in the below itinerary lot of walking is involved in any of the days?.

Itinerary

May 16 – Reach Interlaken from Paris via Basel by 3 PM. Roam around Interlaken and get settled. Stay at Interlaken for 2 nights.

May 17 – Interlaken – Grindewald – Jungfrauch – Interlaken

May 18 – Interlaken to Lucerne. Check-in and keep luggage. Then proceed to Mt. Titlis.Back to Lucerne. Here is the advice I need. Is this doable ?.

MAy 19 – Pilatus or Rigi?. As I’ll be travelling from Lucerne and both are accessible from Lucerne it is confusing to select one of them. I have gone through the information on Rigi and Pilatus on this site and both look good to me. So in terms of walking involved in both, which one would be convenient?

May 20 – Open Day. Maybe roam around Lucerne?. Catch a train from Basel at 6.30 PM.

Any inputs from you guys would definitely be helpful.

Travel within Switzerland

As for the transport, I’m calculating using an excel I found on this site, so I would decide whether to go for Swiss Travel pass or not accordingly. One doubt I have here is that for my nephew can I get the Junior or Children Co-Travel Card ?. Will that be a good idea?.

Few points on our interests

No hiking.

No activities where too much of walking is involved.

Places with great Picturesque, Greenery, etc.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 April 2018 at 22:36:40 #882555

Pilatus is a ‘pointy’ summit so you really go up there for the views rather than hiking.

Rigi is more of a plateau. It is easy to ramble gently on many part of the Rigi, and admire the views

On your free day in Luzern, I would take the paddle steamer on the lake. I have repeated this year after year and it never loses its attraction, even though I know every corner of the lake and all the views!

You are lucky as May 20 is a Sunday and in the Spring timetable, that’s the only day when more than one paddle steamer operates (the 09.12 and 11.12 departures from Luzern) .

The two boast nearly pass each other at Treib around 13:00 so you might get a double steam whistle greeting which is always fun!

Timetable here:http://www.lakelucerne.ch/fil eadmin/lakelucerne/con tent/Dokumente_Downloa ds_PDF/01_Fahrplan-Preise/01_Fahrplan/Sai sonaler_Fahrplan/2018/ 2018_Fahrplan_Fruehlin g.pdf

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 April 2018 at 4:02:02 #882556

Hi Mahendra, and welcome to MySwissAlps!

>> May 18 – Interlaken to Lucerne. Check-in and keep luggage. Then proceed to Mt. Titlis.Back to Lucerne. Here is the advice I need. Is this doable ?.

The key to deciding what is feasible for you is to use the Swiss Timetable to plan this trip and see whether you are comfortable with the travel times etc.

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

(Use the one on the right with the red SBB logo)

>> Pilatus or Rigi? So in terms of walking involved in both, which one would be convenient?

At the Rigi, there is a short climb from the station, up a path or steps, to get to the restaurant and viewpoints (see attached photos).

At Pilatus, there is a viewing terrace, which is adjacent to the top stations of the cogwheel train and cable car. As far as I can remember, there are no steps involved in getting there. If there are steps, there is probably also a lift.

>> One doubt I have here is that for my nephew can I get the Junior or Children Co-Travel Card ?. Will that be a good idea?.

Yes, as you are not the parent of the child, the appropriate card is the Children’s Co-travelcard.

http://www.sbb.ch/en/travelca rds-and-tickets/railpasses/jun ior-travelcard-children-co-travelcard.html

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 April 2018 at 20:00:07 #882557

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your responses.

I have used the rail pass calculation excel to determine how much my trip will cost.

For ease repeating again: I’m travelling with my Wife, parents (58 and 56 years old) and my 10-year-old nephew.

Can you please spare some time and let me know if I have made any mistake with respect to any of the calculations?.

Note: There are two sheets one with Pilatus and one without Pilatus just in case I cannot do Titlis on Day 3.

I’m more inclined towards Half Fare as it comes to 100CHF lesser compared to Swiss Travel Pass and also with a super saver ticket the overall cost can get lesser.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 April 2018 at 6:31:45 #882558

Hi MahendraK,

We’re not here to check all your calculations, but it looks like you took the right prices.

Just a kind reminder that Supersaver tickets are only available from 30 days before the travel date and for a limited number of routes. The number of available tickets is limited and you need to be 100% sure that train time works for you before buying.

• The thread ‘5 days around Lucerne/Interlaken planning’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.