5 days Berner Oberland and somewhere else with car

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 June 2016 at 0:09:20 #809440

Hello,

We are looking at a 5-6 day trip to Switzerland. We are going in early September. We will be driving in from Lake Constance. We are currently planning to spend 3 days in the Berner Oberland. We have seen the pictures and want to do a few small hikes there and visit the Jungfraujoch, see the Lauterbrunnen Valley, Trummelbach Falls. We haven’t finalized the itinerary so we are flexible.

My questions are:

1- Besides 3 days in the Berner Overland, where else should we go? As we are driving down from Lake Constance we planned to stop in Lucerne. I don’t know if we should stay over night in Lucerne or not. I have been to Zurich once before and have already seen Rhine Falls so I don’t need to do that again! Is it worth it to try to see the Matterhorn? Or are there other places we should go first? Should we pop over to Lugano and see Lake Como too??

2- What town should we spend overnight in as our home base in the Berner Oberland? We are driving in from Germany so we will have a car. It seems that Lauterbrunnen vs Grindelwald are the top picks for those with a car… any preference as to which one is “better” to stay at? Also, we are vegetarians (cheese and milk are okay to eat), so one with more restaurants may be better??

Thank you all for your input! Really appreciate it and looking forward to our trip!!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    15 June 2016 at 0:21:45 #853071

Grüetzi Marzipanhaus-

<<“2- What town should we spend overnight in as our home base in the Berner Oberland? We are driving in from Germany so we will have a car. It seems that Lauterbrunnen vs Grindelwald are the top picks for those with a car… any preference as to which one is “better” to stay at?”>>

The reason that GW and LB are “top picks” is because you pretty much cannot go further with an automobile. Following this link will help you; and, you can also search on this website for comments about LB and GW.

http://www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfrauregion

<<“1- Besides 3 days in the Berner Overland, where else should we go?”>>

I’d recommend Luzern for convenience and variety.

http://www.myswissalps.com/lu cerne

Regarding “pop over to”

please check the timetable:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 June 2016 at 8:20:52 #853072

Great! Thanks for links… I’ll check them out!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 June 2016 at 9:02:39 #853073

Grindelwald is much better to stay than Lauterbrunnen. More choices in hotels and restaurants and a very nice few on the mountains. Lauterbrunnen is a very small village. Nothing to do……

From Grindelwald you can easy do Jungfrau, but also the Firstbahn (Bachalpsee, Cliffwalk) and Mannlichen (walk Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg to Wengernalp).

Luzern is a very nice city, much to do. Make also a boat trip and with rain you can visit the Verkerhshaus (transportmuseum).

greetings Brahms

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    15 June 2016 at 9:18:15 #853074

Hi Brahms –

<<“Grindelwald is much better to stay than Lauterbrunnen. More choices in hotels and restaurants and a very nice few on the mountains. Lauterbrunnen is a very small village. Nothing to do……”>>

I think that Lauterbrunnen is a much better stay than Grindelwald. Grindelwald is too commercial. Too many hotels, stores, etc. Lauterbrunnen is much more peaceful, and you can walk along the scenic valley floor or go up easily to higher altitudes.

Just joking….each of the towns has advantages and disadvantages, and what is best will depend on your point of view.

Some people like Wengen….which you reach by a short train ride from Lauterbrunnen. That is my own favorite.

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/tips-about-wengen-and-the-jungfrau-region-by-kim

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 June 2016 at 11:46:01 #853075

But Marzipanhaus ask for a place with “more restaurants”. In Grindelwald are many more restaurant (and ferienhauser and hotels) than in the small village of Lauterbrunnen. The view on the mountains are also much better in Grindelwald. In Lauterbrunnen you are in the small valley without much sun in morning and evening. You can easy go by car to Grindelwald Grund for Mannlichen, or walk to the Railway station for Kleine Scheidegg. The Firstbahn is in city centre. The is also a new great Supermarket.

They are traveling by car. Wengen is also nice but you can’t go by car to Wengen.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 June 2016 at 18:00:46 #853076

Brahms and Slowpoke – thank you for your replies! I think Wengen we cannot stay in due to lack of cars allowed. I will likely plan to stay in Grindelwald because it has a few more restaurants (opens my vegetarian options a bit!)… but it also depends on hotel availability!

Annika
    7124 posts
    15 June 2016 at 18:21:17 #853077

Hi marzipanhaus,

I expect that plenty of hotel rooms should still be available for early September. You can find a list of recommended hotels here: myswissalps.com/ grindelwald/hotels.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    15 June 2016 at 18:41:37 #853078

Hi Brahms –

All good answers.

You are right on all points.

There is a substantial range of restaurants in Wengen, but, it is certainly true that, to get there from Lauterbrunnnen, you would have to take the short scenic train ride.Twice per hour.

The short “book” by Kim that I linked before discusses the restaurants in Wengen in detail

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘5 days Berner Oberland and somewhere else with car’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.