5 day tour suggestions to Switzerland

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 May 2015 at 12:30:41 #807238

hii…

we r four arriving zurich on 15 th june around 11 am. my iterinary as follows…

june 15 – arriving to zurich and transfer to interlaken and overnight stay at interlaken.same day city tour if possible.

june 16 – tour to jungfraujoch and came back over night stay at interlaken.

june 17 – tour to pilatus and came back in the evening stay at interlaken.

june 18 – tour to mount titlis and overnght stay at interlaken

june 19 – tranfer to zermat and catch glacier express to st.moritz, after reaching st.moritz take train and go to zurich and stay night at zurich.

june 20 – city tour of zurich, rhine falls visiting and stay night at zurich.

june 21- travelling to venice by train from zurich.

is this iterinary good.or any modifications required? and interlaken as a base point good .or lucern will be good? can u suggest me good base point for my tour .waiting for your reply.

thank you

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    17 May 2015 at 15:34:10 #843140

Hi lakshman! The outlines of your itinerary look fine. I’d consider spending one or two nights in Lucerne instead of Interlaken though, as Lucerne is much closer to Titlis and Pilatus than Interlaken is. You can best consult the timetable to check such traveling times.

As for June 19: that’s a very full schedule. Please note that the Glacier Express trains leave in the morning. You’d have to travel from Interlaken to Zermatt early in order to make it in time. Alternatively, you can travel right on to Zermatt in the afternoon of June 18, skipping your overnight stay in Interlaken and spending the night in Zermatt instead. Another alternative is to pick up the Glacier Express route from Brig and not from Zermatt, as that’s a shorter ride from Interlaken. Anyway, you’ll arrive in St. Moritz in the (late) afternoon, and it’s another 3h30 from St. Moritz to Zurich. You can also leave the Glacier Express in Chur and then travel to Zurich, which is shorter. Whatever variant you choose, you’ll have to decide whether you’re fine with such a long day of train traveling.

Did you look into rail passes already? A 3 day Swiss Travel Pass Flex Combi might be a good solution. You’d use free travel days for June 15 (Zurich-Interlaken or Zurich-Lucerne), June 19 (the Glacier Express) and June 21 (Zurich-Swiss/Italian border). On the days in between, trips are discounted by 50%. An 8 day Swiss Travel Pass would be another option. You can calculate which option is most economical by following these guidelines.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 May 2015 at 17:17:25 #843141

thanks Annika for your valuable reply..

I have some more doubts that on swiss 3 day pass how can we book ticket for Venice which we can use up to swiss italy border. do I need to travel separately up to swiss border then catch tgv trains?. Can u explain ?

and if we get down at Chur while glacier express tour , the remaining portion is good..(worth to visit)?

please reply, thank you

Arno
    15483 posts
    18 May 2015 at 17:38:30 #843142

Hi lakshman,

You can buy a ticket to Venice by going to http://www.raileurope-gcc.com #tab3. Select Swiss Travel Pass, departure from Zurich, and destination Milan. This will get you a ticket with a discount because the Swiss portion is free for pass holders. Then separately find a ticket from Milan to Venice here: http://www.raileurope-gcc.com/train/italian-international-trains. And finally you can get your pass here: http://www.raileurope-gcc.com/pass/swiss-pass. All of this can be purchased in one order. Perhaps you’ll get an additional discuont, please see myswissalps.com/ swisstravelpass/promot ions.

As for the Glacier Express: the section from Chur to St. Moritz is wonderful as well. The detailed route description can be found on the Glacier Express page that Annika gave you.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 May 2015 at 21:49:54 #843143

thank you arno..we will check and follow that..

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 May 2015 at 15:11:01 #843144

hi…arno ..I have some confusion about swiss pass. I want to purchase swiss flex pass combi .but when I am selecting country in raileurope and finding only swiss pass and there is no option of swiss pass flexi combi and it is directing to purchase option.can u help me in this regard.

and , on 14 th june I want to travel from paris to zurich .how can we find best route which i want to use that day swiss flexi pass and 19 june zurich to venice ( you suggested me route already ) .

with 3 day flexi pass

1 day =paris to zurich- luzern

2 day= jungfraujoch trip

3 day = glacierexpress (chur ) to zurich. to venice via milan. is it coverd good with pass?or do I need to change to get worth of pass price? please help me. and in between these three days can I travel with discounted price with same pass?

please suggest me .thank you

Arno
    15483 posts
    19 May 2015 at 16:52:51 #843145

Hi lakshman,

The Swiss Travel Pass Flex Combi is for sale here: raileurope-gcc.com/pass/swiss-travel-pass-half-fare-card

You need a ticket from Paris to Basel, which is the Swiss border. You can get that ticket through the same website: raileurope-gcc.com/train/tgv-lyria

Unlike other Swiss trains, the Glacier Express requires a seat reservation which can be purchased here: raileurope-gcc.com#tab3

What’s covered with the pass can be found on the map. Please download it so you can check the details. You will indeed get discounts on tickets you purchase between the first and last free travel day. It’s all explained on the Swiss Travel Pass Flex page.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 May 2015 at 19:55:31 #843146

hii..arno..

I’m almost planned everthing by getting suggestions from you. and thank you for that.

I have some doubts on 3 day flexi swiss pass combi, for example

june 15 – free travel day

june 25 – free travel day

july 13 – free travel day

in between these days can I get half fare for 1 mnth. I mean can I get half fare for july 1,2,5, all these days.I have found between first and last free travel day only we can get half fare card will be useful. please explain .

from st. moritz to lugano I have found to be bus journey would be great than train journey what about your view? wt about palm express ? bus time table ?because I want to travel st .moritz to lugano by bus and catch to venice by the afternoon train? can it possible ?please reply

thank you.

Annika
    7116 posts
    23 May 2015 at 7:17:41 #843147

Hello lakshman!

The Swiss Travel Pass Flex Combi allows discounted traveling on all days in between your first and last free travel day. So in your example, this would apply to all days between June 15 and July 13.

As for St. Moritz-Lugano: you can either travel by train to Tirano and then by bus to Lugano (this is the Bernina Express), or do the entire route by bus via Chiavenna. This is indeed called the Palm Express; details can be found at the Postbus website. With the Palm Express, you’ll arrive in Lugano around 16h30, and then it’s another 4 to 5 hours to Venice. Further details can be found in the timetable.

• The thread ‘5 day tour suggestions to Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.