5 Day trip based in Lucerne in June

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 May 2018 at 17:43:44 #815724

Hi,

We are arriving Lucern from Innsbruck on 26th jun around 12 O’ clock in the afternoon and would be staying till 30th June morning. I have decided to buy the Tell pass summer for 4days, with the following itinerary for which we need help.

Day 1….Stanserhorn……is it possible to do if we start at 4pm?

Day 2…..Mt Rigi and Pilatus

Day3…we would like to do the combination of gotthard panorama and glacier express, only the free part which is under the Tell pass. What would the route be like from Lucern and back to lucern, as I am not able to understand it completely. Also how much would be the total time taken for the journey and what time should we start.

Day 4….. Mt Titlis and city of lucern

Day 5….we will leave for Zurich airport early morning. Leave our bags at the airport and would like to do the Rhine falls and Stein am Rhine. Our flight back to India is at 10 Pm. how do we work out this trip, I mean the best way and cheapest pricing which should include the travel from Lucern if possible.

Though we would like to cover all these but are open to any changes and suggestions.

Appreciate your help. Thank you

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 May 2018 at 1:49:24 #884167

Hi Sangi, and welcome to MySwissAlps!

>> Day 1….Stanserhorn……is it possible to do if we start at 4pm?

Starting from where? You can find out by using the information on the following page in conjunction with the Swiss Timetable.

http://www.myswissalps.com/st anserhorn/gettingthere

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

(Use the one on the right with the red SBB logo.)

>> Day3…we would like to do the combination of gotthard panorama and glacier express, only the free part which is under the Tell pass. What would the route be like from Lucern and back to lucern, as I am not able to understand it completely. Also how much would be the total time taken for the journey and what time should we start.

The key to deciding what is possible and/or practical is to use the Swiss Timetable to plan out your trip, and see how long it will take. The link to the timetable has been provided above.

One option for doing part of the Gotthard Panorama Express route and the Glacier Express Route is to travel as follows:

• Luzern > Flüelen (boat or train)
    • Flüelen > Andermatt (train)
    • Andermatt > Sedrun (train)

Then you would return to Luzern the same way. You would be using regional trains rather than the actual Glacier Express or Gotthard Panorama Express trains.

In the other direction (on the Glacier Express route) you can only travel as far as Realp with the Tell-Pass. On the Gotthard Panorama Express route, you can only travel as far as Göschenen. (With the Tell-Pass you can continue to Andermatt, but that is not part of the Gotthard Panorama Express route, as the Gotthard Panorama Express goes into a tunnel just after Göschenen, and bypasses Andermatt).

I have done something similar (without the boat trip), which you can read about here if you are interested:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/train-across-the-oberalppass-on-a-gloomy-day

I had done the boat trip previously. If interested, you can see some photos I took during the boat trip on the following page:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/trip-report-late-august-to-mid-october-2016

>> Day 5….we will leave for Zurich airport early morning. Leave our bags at the airport and would like to do the Rhine falls and Stein am Rhine … how do we work out this trip, I mean the best way and cheapest pricing which should include the travel from Lucern if possible.

The Swiss Timetable will give you the fastest route by default.

The cheapest option would probably be either point-to-point tickets or a Saver Day Pass. You will first need to calculate the cost of point-to-point tickets, then compare the result with the cost of the Saver Day Pass.

You can find fares in the Swiss Timetable. The first fare you see for a particular trip will say “Tickets from CHF ##.##”. This figure only applies to passengers who have a Swiss Half Fare Card (for tourists) or Half-Fare travelcard (for Swiss residents). Your calculations need to be based on full fares, which are double that fare.

Information about the Saver Day Pass is here:

http://www.sbb.ch/en/travelca rds-and-tickets/tickets-for-switzerland/1-day-travelpass/saver-day-pass.html

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 May 2018 at 15:44:56 #884168

Thank you, for your suggestions.

Regarding day 1….. we will be starting from Lucern at 4Pm so can we do the trip to Stanserhorn?

Regarding day2….. to it is possible to do both ??

thankyou

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 May 2018 at 16:18:42 #884169

Day 1: On the 26th, 4pm would be too late – the last trip down Stanserhorn is at 17:15.
    Day 2: Yes, both can be done on 1 day

You can use the timetable to find the schedules for all your trips.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 May 2018 at 9:01:04 #884170

Thank you. So what would be the ideal time to start in order to take the last trip down at 1715 from stanserhorn.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 May 2018 at 13:33:48 #884171

I think the average amount of time spent on most mountains is 2 hours. So I’d try to leave Lucerne around 2.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 May 2018 at 5:36:23 #884172

Thank you so much, this has been a great help in deciding on my itinerary. Also could you suggest any other journey that we could do on day 3, instead of the one I have written. Thank you once again.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 May 2018 at 21:41:24 #884173

Hi Sangi,

Do you mean another scenic train route?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 May 2018 at 8:25:06 #884174

Yes another scenic train route. Thank you.

is there anything better that I can do besides what I have mentioned in my post. Do let me know

thank you 🙏🏼

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 May 2018 at 12:00:20 #884175

You could have a look at the Golden Pass line: http://www.myswissalps.com/go ldenpass.

• The thread ‘5 Day trip based in Lucerne in June’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.