5 day trip for a photographer from Zurich

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 April 2018 at 6:10:13 #815355

Hello guys!

I will be traveling to Switzerland next week, the trip wasn’t planned and was very spontaneous. I was traveling to Asia and ended up finding a flight with a five day stay in Switzerland and couldn’t resist. I land this Sunday and I’m there till Friday. I’ll be traveling by myself.

The purpose of my trip is landscape photography. I have not done much research, everything just seems overwhelming to me from picking the right places to picking the right transportation.

Some places I would like to visit are Zermatt and Lauterbrunnen. I’m very open to recommendations.

Some questions I wanted to ask were about transportation, getting to the alps etc. are hosted common in those regions? I’ll be carrying a lot of expensive equipment with me, is it safe? Any info on drones and their usage near the alps?

I appreciate you guys! I’m glad I found this place

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 April 2018 at 9:15:26 #882404

Hi Halio, and welcome to MySwissAlps,

I’ve picked a few links to get you started. If you use the search box at the top of this page, you’ll be able to find more.

Zermatt and Lauterbrunnen are easy accessible by train. You may want to look into a Swiss rail pass. We have information here on how to choose a Swiss rail pass.

You mean if hostels are common? If so, check our webpage on hostels here. Switzerland is very safe. You need of course to keep an eye on your stuff, but there’s enough space on the train to keep your equipment with you.

Read here about the usage of drones.

If you have more questions, don’t hesitate to let us know. Happy planning!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 April 2018 at 14:35:43 #882405

Thanks for the great info! I really do appreciate it.

Ive been here for a few days and have visited Lauterbrunnen, Jungfraujoch and Grindelwald. I have about two days left, was planning to go to Zermatt and see the Matterhorn. A lot of places are snowed out so far. Would you guys happen to know if the lakes surround Matterhorn would be accessible? Like lake riffelsee.

Thanks!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 April 2018 at 16:45:48 #882406

Lake Riffelsee is always ‘open’. It’s accessible via Gornergrat Bahn cog railway. I think it will still be frozen.The Stellisee and Leisee may be clear of ice.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 April 2018 at 18:00:37 #882407

Thanks chantel!

Thats good to hear, I was contemplating between Zermatt and Jungfraujoch. This sort of made my choice easier. What would you guys go for, for taking pictures that is?

I stayed at Lauterbrunnen today and taking pictures was very tough. I went up to Wengen and Kleine Scheidegg as well but haze was everywhere 🙁

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 April 2018 at 18:28:41 #882408

I’ve never been to the Jungfraujoch. If the lake in Zermatt is still frozen, I’m not sure if you’re getting the pictures you’re looking for. I guess you would like to have that reflection of the Matterhorn in the water. When I checked the webcams around Zermatt when I was replying to you earlier, the weather was just beautiful. A very clear sky. But I couldn’t find one showing the lake.

There’s a link here to the Swiss meteo: http://www.myswissalps.com/we ather/forecast. For webcams, I just google.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 April 2018 at 19:48:02 #882409

Hi,

I was in Zermatt last week and Riffelsee was (sadly) frozen over. I’m enjoying all the photography opportunities in Switzerland too and would suggest a trip to Montreux for a little change of scenery from the wintery Alps (though you can still capture them in the background along with the lake and beautiful blooms).

I didn’t go to jungfraujoch so can’t comment there, but I loved Zermatt. Did you go up to Murren and Schilthorn while in Lauterbrunnen?

–Taryn

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 April 2018 at 19:51:07 #882410

Thanks for the info! I’ll definitely check that out.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 April 2018 at 19:53:33 #882411

Thanks for the response! I wish I had time to head east towards Montreux. I didn’t get a chance to go to Mürren, I ended up going to Wengen to overlook the valley(which was too hazy) and Kleine Scheidegg.

How was Mürren and Schilthorn?

Any reccomendations for Zermatt?

• The thread ‘5 day trip for a photographer from Zurich’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10950 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.