5 day trip in June: Lucerne, Lauterbrunnen, Zurich

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 May 2017 at 21:04:16 #811821
    • Day1 -Fly in to Zurich at 7 am, stow away extra baggage at the train station for 5 days except the carry on luggage for the 5 day trip. * catch a train to Rhine Falls at 10 am,sight seeing,catch a train to Luzern at 3pm,arrive in Luzern,sight seeing,stay overnight in Luzern
    • Day 2 -morning at 9am leave for Engelberg and go to Mt Titlis,sight seeing, board a train at 6 pm for Lauterbrunnen Arrive at 9 pm ,night stay in Lauterbrunnen.
    • Day 3- flexible upon weather trip to JungFraujoch in the morning starting at 9 am via train,return around 4 pm,eve explore Lauterbrunnen falls and village,overnight stay in Lauterbrunnen.
    • Day 4- start at 9 am explore villages of Murren,gimmelwald,and and do the Bluementhal hike,if weather is good go upto schilthorn.Take a train to go to Interlaken and stay overnight there.(wondering if stay in Lauterbrunnenor go to Interlaken)
    • Day 5 -Take a boat ride in the morning at 9 am on Lake thun,visit Speiltz,come back to Interlaken to take the carryon luggage from the Interlaken train station or from the hotel(hence the dilemma to sat in Interlaken on da 4 night). at around 1 pm Catch a train to Bern and explore for couple of hours and take a train to Zurich. arrive in Zurich by 6 pm and spend couple of hrs in the city,collect baggae from the train station,stay overnight in Zurich by th airport
    • Day 6 – 8 am flight back
    • travelling with 2 kids and hubby,
    • Planning to buy Swiss travel pass, any suggestion fo the train pass,any change in the plan will be highly appreciated,any alternate destination on Day 5 like going to lake Geneva prior to returning to Zurich. Thanks !
  • Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 May 2017 at 7:24:51 #863316

Hi Yojosh and welcome to MySwissAlps!

It seems like a good itinerary. I would recommend the Swiss Travel Pass as well for your trip and the Swiss Family Card will cover your children if between 6 and 15 (5 and under are always free).

I’m not sure I would look at Lake Geneva, it is a bit out of your way and you have a great lake trip on Lake Thun planned. I think I would overnight in Interlaken for convenience on Day 4 based on your itinerary for Day 5.

I hope this helps!

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 May 2017 at 18:59:54 #863317

Thank you Lucas. May have more queries as I start planning in detail for each day.

where is it best place to store the luggage about 3 large bags for 5 days in Zurich.Airport or train station?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 May 2017 at 22:17:35 #863318

Can someone please give some info about boat trip schedule from Interalaken west to Thun.Want to start around 9:30 am to take boat trip upto Thun and then disembark.Explore the town of Thun and depart via train to Bern around 2pm. Is this plan workable ? so far the first boat from Interlaken west is at 11 am.Is there any departure before that? will really appreciate some info on this.Thanks!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 May 2017 at 7:19:26 #863319

You can store your luggage at the SBB train station (below the airport) or at Zurich main train station – both have luggage lockers.

You can find the boat schedule for Lake Thun here.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 May 2017 at 13:40:41 #863320

Thank you Lucas .

I did try to look up for the boat schedule but it’s not in English . I am confused . So basically I cannot take a boat from Interlaken West to Thun at 9:30-10 am ?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 May 2017 at 17:36:03 #863321

Did you find the PDF on the link? It is in German, French and English.
    You are correct in the end unfortunately 11:10am is the earliest departure from Interlaken West (see) arriving in Thun (see) at 13:20.

You can also search for boat schedules on the Swiss railways timetable. After entering your towns click advanced search and de-select all forms of transport except ship.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 May 2017 at 17:57:56 #863322

Thank you Lucas for all the help !!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 May 2017 at 23:48:56 #863323

>> Take a boat ride in the morning at 9 am on Lake thun,visit Speiltz,come back to Interlaken to take the carryon luggage from the Interlaken train station or from the hotel … at around 1 pm Catch a train to Bern

>> So basically I cannot take a boat from Interlaken West to Thun at 9:30-10 am ?

So you are basically wanting to do a round trip Interlaken West-Spiez-Thun-Interlaken West, leaving around 9:30 – do I understand correctly? Your preferred plan was out by boat and back by train, from what I can gather.

Another option to consider would be to do it the other way around, as boats leave earlier from Thun: i.e. train Interlaken to Thun, then Thun-Interlaken West by boat leaving Thun at 9:40, arriving Interlaken West at 11:49. If you got off at Spiez, you would have to wait two hours for another boat, and would not be able to catch your train to Bern around 13:00. You might be able to fit in a visit to Spiez if you caught a train from Spiez back to Interlaken. You would need to check the timetable via the link Lucas has already given you. Personally, I think it woud be nicer to stay on the boat though, given your time constraints.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 May 2017 at 0:28:21 #863324

Thank you Alpenrose!

For Day 5 the plan is to leave Interlaken in the morning and be in Zurich that evening by 7 pm and spend couple of hours in Zurich exploring the city before we retire for the day .

We want to take the boat to Thun in the morning and spend few hours exploring The town before we head to Bern/ Zurich . We have decided to skip Speilz .

Is there anything to explore in Bern or do you recommend just to go to Zurich from Thun and skip Bern . If so we are open for lake Beirnz boat ride and catch a train from there to Zurich .

Any other suggestion to spend Day 5 before reaching Zurich . We have bought the Swiss travel pass . Thanks !

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 May 2017 at 14:24:01 #863325

Bern and Zurich are both lovely cities to visit for 1/2 a day.
    In your situation I might lean towards visiting Zurich for a few extra hours (as you are going there anyway) and then you can incorporate a lake cruise on Lake Thun.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 June 2017 at 12:39:45 #863326

Thank you Lucas for all the info !!

• The thread ‘5 day trip in June: Lucerne, Lauterbrunnen, Zurich’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.