5 day trip in June: Lucerne, Lauterbrunnen, Zurich

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
yojosh
yojosh
8 posts
May 14, 2017 - 9:04 PM

• Day1 -Fly in to Zurich at 7 am, stow away extra baggage at the train station for 5 days except the carry on luggage for the 5 day trip. * catch a train to Rhine Falls at 10 am,sight seeing,catch a train to Luzern at 3pm,arrive in Luzern,sight seeing,stay overnight in Luzern
  • Day 2 -morning at 9am leave for Engelberg and go to Mt Titlis,sight seeing, board a train at 6 pm for Lauterbrunnen Arrive at 9 pm ,night stay in Lauterbrunnen.
  • Day 3- flexible upon weather trip to JungFraujoch in the morning starting at 9 am via train,return around 4 pm,eve explore Lauterbrunnen falls and village,overnight stay in Lauterbrunnen.
  • Day 4- start at 9 am explore villages of Murren,gimmelwald,and and do the Bluementhal hike,if weather is good go upto schilthorn.Take a train to go to Interlaken and stay overnight there.(wondering if stay in Lauterbrunnenor go to Interlaken)
  • Day 5 -Take a boat ride in the morning at 9 am on Lake thun,visit Speiltz,come back to Interlaken to take the carryon luggage from the Interlaken train station or from the hotel(hence the dilemma to sat in Interlaken on da 4 night). at around 1 pm Catch a train to Bern and explore for couple of hours and take a train to Zurich. arrive in Zurich by 6 pm and spend couple of hrs in the city,collect baggae from the train station,stay overnight in Zurich by th airport
  • Day 6 - 8 am flight back
  • travelling with 2 kids and hubby,
  • Planning to buy Swiss travel pass, any suggestion fo the train pass,any change in the plan will be highly appreciated,any alternate destination on Day 5 like going to lake Geneva prior to returning to Zurich. Thanks !

Lucas
Lucas
10385 posts
expert &
May 15, 2017 - 7:24 AM in reply to yojosh

Hi Yojosh and welcome to MySwissAlps!

It seems like a good itinerary. I would recommend the Swiss Travel Pass as well for your trip and the Swiss Family Card will cover your children if between 6 and 15 (5 and under are always free).

I'm not sure I would look at Lake Geneva, it is a bit out of your way and you have a great lake trip on Lake Thun planned. I think I would overnight in Interlaken for convenience on Day 4 based on your itinerary for Day 5.

I hope this helps!

Lucas

yojosh
yojosh
8 posts
May 29, 2017 - 6:59 PM in reply to Lucas

Thank you Lucas. May have more queries as I start planning in detail for each day.

where is it best place to store the luggage about 3 large bags for 5 days in Zurich.Airport or train station?

Last modified on May 29, 2017 - 7:03 PM by yojosh
yojosh
yojosh
8 posts
May 29, 2017 - 10:17 PM

Can someone please give some info about boat trip schedule from Interalaken west to Thun.Want to start around 9:30 am to take boat trip upto Thun and then disembark.Explore the town of Thun and depart via train to Bern around 2pm. Is this plan workable ? so far the first boat from Interlaken west is at 11 am.Is there any departure before that? will really appreciate some info on this.Thanks!

Lucas
Lucas
10385 posts
expert &
May 30, 2017 - 7:19 AM in reply to yojosh

You can store your luggage at the SBB train station (below the airport) or at Zurich main train station - both have luggage lockers.

You can find the boat schedule for Lake Thun here.

yojosh
yojosh
8 posts
May 30, 2017 - 1:40 PM

Thank you Lucas .

I did try to look up for the boat schedule but it's not in English . I am confused . So basically I cannot take a boat from Interlaken West to Thun at 9:30-10 am ?

Lucas
Lucas
10385 posts
expert &
May 30, 2017 - 5:36 PM in reply to yojosh

Did you find the PDF on the link? It is in German, French and English.
You are correct in the end unfortunately 11:10am is the earliest departure from Interlaken West (see) arriving in Thun (see) at 13:20.

You can also search for boat schedules on the Swiss railways timetable. After entering your towns click advanced search and de-select all forms of transport except ship.

Lucas

Last modified on Oct 5, 2017 - 6:53 AM by Arno
yojosh
yojosh
8 posts
May 30, 2017 - 5:57 PM

Thank you Lucas for all the help !!

Removed user
Removed user
0 posts
May 30, 2017 - 11:48 PM in reply to yojosh

>> Take a boat ride in the morning at 9 am on Lake thun,visit Speiltz,come back to Interlaken to take the carryon luggage from the Interlaken train station or from the hotel ... at around 1 pm Catch a train to Bern

>> So basically I cannot take a boat from Interlaken West to Thun at 9:30-10 am ?

So you are basically wanting to do a round trip Interlaken West-Spiez-Thun-Interlaken West, leaving around 9:30 - do I understand correctly? Your preferred plan was out by boat and back by train, from what I can gather.

Another option to consider would be to do it the other way around, as boats leave earlier from Thun: i.e. train Interlaken to Thun, then Thun-Interlaken West by boat leaving Thun at 9:40, arriving Interlaken West at 11:49. If you got off at Spiez, you would have to wait two hours for another boat, and would not be able to catch your train to Bern around 13:00. You might be able to fit in a visit to Spiez if you caught a train from Spiez back to Interlaken. You would need to check the timetable via the link Lucas has already given you. Personally, I think it woud be nicer to stay on the boat though, given your time constraints.

Alpenrose

yojosh
yojosh
8 posts
May 31, 2017 - 12:28 AM

Thank you Alpenrose!

For Day 5 the plan is to leave Interlaken in the morning and be in Zurich that evening by 7 pm and spend couple of hours in Zurich exploring the city before we retire for the day .

We want to take the boat to Thun in the morning and spend few hours exploring The town before we head to Bern/ Zurich . We have decided to skip Speilz .

Is there anything to explore in Bern or do you recommend just to go to Zurich from Thun and skip Bern . If so we are open for lake Beirnz boat ride and catch a train from there to Zurich .

Any other suggestion to spend Day 5 before reaching Zurich . We have bought the Swiss travel pass . Thanks !

Lucas
Lucas
10385 posts
expert &
May 31, 2017 - 2:24 PM in reply to yojosh

Bern and Zurich are both lovely cities to visit for 1/2 a day.
In your situation I might lean towards visiting Zurich for a few extra hours (as you are going there anyway) and then you can incorporate a lake cruise on Lake Thun.

yojosh
yojosh
8 posts
Jun 1, 2017 - 12:39 PM

Thank you Lucas for all the info !!

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019