Late October Switzerland ideas & car or train?

• Emie
    Participant
    19 posts
    20 August 2018 at 20:53:09 #817989

We have recently made the decision to visit Switzerland beginning Oct 24 in Basel (early AM) until Oct 29 departing from Zurich (noon). We anticipated renting a car and touring around the countryside popping into a big city here and there. It’s a lot more complicated than I thought! I am reading that many activities and hotels can be closed and some places can only be reached by train. We are interested, of course, in seeing the Alps and doing a little (medium difficulty) hiking. Wine is always a good thing. I would appreciate any insight on some scenic routes and things to do. Also, is it easy to fly by the seat of your pants as far as hotels/B&B at this time of the year? As we want to get out into the country, I don’t think (?) using the train system alone will work(and it’s very confusing to us). We have never been to Switzerland. It is just myself and my spouse, and we live in the US.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    20 August 2018 at 21:38:00 #894654

Hi Emie, and welcome to MySwissAlps.

In the US, only one language (yours, I presume) is being used, and cities are layed out on a grid pattern. You may find that driving in European cities could be very confusing to you (Geneva example in the attachment…), among other things the road signs are usually in the local language only (and in the metric system…). I suggest you study a bit the railway system of Switzerland (this website is very useful for that). You can actually reach (almost) every city, town and village by public transport, and if you have suitcases with wheels you can then walk the last 100 or 200 yards to your hotel. Trains, by the way, run every hour (during daytime, see a photo of the then Swiss president Didier Burkhalter, waiting for his morning train in Neuchâtel); other destinations can be reached by a dense network of bus lines. There are efficient public transport in every city (busses, streetcars called trams, and even, in Lausanne, two subway lines).

Slowpoke (senior member of this site) rents a car to reach a number of hotels in small towns or villages, and when he goes to a larger city he takes the train and stays at a hotel nearby.

To my knowledge, hotels close in November rather than in October. Yes, you could fly by the seat of your pants in October.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 August 2018 at 6:36:40 #894655

Hi Emie,

I moved your thread out of the trip report forum (it is for people who are sharing their holiday experiences in Switzerland, and please do once you have finished your holiday!).

You may find trains are the way to go in Switzerland – I certainly think so! 🙂

You can read about traveling in Switzerland by car vs train to get some more ideas here: http://www.myswissalps.com/ca rversustrain

You can use our link here for the Swiss railways timetable to check out train timings between cities, villages and mountains: http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable. Play around with it and read the instructions we have there. I think you’ll see how quick train travel can be here. It really is the simpler option most of the time especially for someone not familiar with driving in Europe and you can sit back and enjoy the scenery while someone else drives.

As Snowman notes, everything should be open in late October. Hiking at higher altitudes may/will not be possible though. I’m not sure about wine opportunities at that time of year, but Montreux is a good place to look into for that: http://www.myswissalps.com/mo ntreux

For hiking options look here: http://www.myswissalps.com/hi king (keep in mind elevation)

Cars can be useful if you know where you are going and that it is a remote hotel in a remote village and you need to travel in and out regularly.

Momo
    Participant
    12 posts
    21 August 2018 at 10:34:22 #894656

We are from the US also, and we were just in Switzerland in early July. We flew into Germany, rented a car, and drove through Germany, Austria, Switzerland, France, and Spain. We planned ahead, and I purchased the Michelin country atlases (more detailed than the “Europe” Michelin atlas) ahead of time from the Rick Steve’s website. We were new to driving in Europe, and it has been more than 20 years since we visited Europe, my husband as a college student in England, and myself as a student in Spain. I say all this to explain the background of our lack of familiarity with the Swiss railway system and roads.

We drive into Zurich on a Sunday (nothing was open rhat evening regarding restaurants except in the main train station; we drove to it and easily found a parking space). The next morning we drove to Interlaken, took the train up to Jungfraujoch, and then planned to drive from Interlaken to Tasch, to take the train to Zermatt. (Zermatt is car-free.) This route took us on a car train, which was a travel experience I have told everyone about when we talk about our trip. I am happy we did it.

However, it was raining and lightning, and apparently there was a landslide between Stalden and St. Nicklaus. We were stopped on the road in Stalden for ~30 minutes at a red light, when finally the police came at approximately 10:30pm, and were informed that the road was closed. We rushed to make the train from Stalden to Zermatt, but by midnight, the announcement was made that the tracks were blocked, and they would start cleanup in the morning. We ended up driving to Martigny where we found a hotel @3:30am. It was a harrowing experience. There is nothing about train vs. car travel that would have allowed better transportation in that circumstance. However, if I had understood the trains, we could have gotten on the correct scenic train earlier in the day, and not been so late getting back to our car at Interlaken. (We had been planning to go to Schinge Platte, but the train attendant thought I meant Jungfraujoch; by the time I realized the error, it was too late to change.)

From my perspective, we had a lot of fun driving through Europe. The scenery was absolutely breathtaking, especially in Switzerland. However, Switzerland was by far the most difficult country to drive in. The signs aren’t that difficult—we studied them for about 1 hour when we first got the car—but the winding roads made travel more difficult in the rain, and everything is better set up for train travel. I spent a lot of time determining which travel pass (if any) we should purchase, and very little on the train routes/time tables except for the scenic trains. I still found these took a lot of time to determine which was best for us. I stumbled on this website/travel forum which had the most helpful information I found.

I think train or car travel will allow you a great trip, but I think train travel would be less stressful, if you have everything well planned ahead of time. If you do travel by car, I would add an extra 25%-50% to the drive-time estimates given by Google Maps to allow for whatever might come up. Either way you travel, I would NOT plan to pack full days. I would plan to be done with your travel by 4pm to allow stress-free check-in at hotels; our experience was that the hotels expect earlier check-in (4-6pm) than in the US. Also, an earlier end-time to the day allows for whatever issues might arise.

Emie
    Participant
    19 posts
    21 August 2018 at 13:23:22 #894657

Thank you so much for the information. We will take a closer look at the trains and what they have to offer. Currently, our wish list takes us to all corners of Switzerland. We need to trim that down and narrow our focus. If using trains, would it make sense to pick a home base and travel from there or stay in different hotels every night? If you stay in different hotels, how do you manage your luggage? Are there any towns/adventures you would personally recommend?

Emie
    Participant
    19 posts
    21 August 2018 at 13:26:56 #894658

Oops – sorry for the faux pas. Thank you for correcting it! We will research all the helpful links you have provided. As we are not used to train travel, it seems to be a daunting task. But we will give it our best shot!

Emie
    Participant
    19 posts
    21 August 2018 at 13:45:38 #894659

Wow, thank you so much for this detailed account of your trip! Very, very helpful. We are going to check out the trains and see if we can make it work. I will say, though, that your glowing reports describing the scenery make that car rental awfully tempting. But driving on wet, winding roads isn’t appealing. It sounds like you picked lodging on the fly? You must have nerves of steel following the landslide episode. That is a bit scary and made for a very long day!

Arno
    15483 posts
    21 August 2018 at 14:02:34 #894660

Hi Emie,

Switzerland offers a good opportunity to try train travel for a change. The system is much better than in many other countries. I use it all the time even if we use our car to drive to Switzerland. It’s relaxed, safe and eco-friendly. Packing light will be helpful either way. The average car is smaller than in the US. If traveling by train it helps too, even if you would use the luggage shipping services.

Personally I would not switch hotels every day, unless the sole purpose is traveling. It leaves very little time to do anything else than getting from A to B. Three nights in one place gives you two full days, and thus a little flexibility weather wise. Many nice sites are only worth it in good weather. Staying longer is even better. Most areas in Switzerland offer plenty to do for a week or much longer.

Happy planning!

Momo
    Participant
    12 posts
    22 August 2018 at 10:18:26 #894661

We ended up having to find a hotel on the fly after the landslide, and since we were traveling with our 2 children, we had to get two rooms. We were incredibly blessed to find a hotel in the middle of the night, and got the last two rooms available in the entire hotel. We were prepared to spend the night in the car if needed, but we were miserable—we rented a luxury sedan, but it was much smaller inside than our car in the US, and with the kids in back, we couldn’t recline the seats. All of the local hotels were booked, which is why we had to travel to Martigny to find a hotel.

I like Arno’s comment, that even if he got a car, he would park it and take the trains. That’s what I will do, if we are ever in similar circumstances. I don’t regret our experiences—we had a great trip—but I would prefer train travel in Switzerland in the future.

The benefit of our car travel in Europe was the ability to “stop and smell the roses,” and have flexibility with our travel. However, there are few places to stop in the Alps (at least, on the routes we took). The scenery was stunning, absolutely gorgeous, in Interlaken along the water. However, the trade-off of missing one type of vista would be more than offset by the lack of stress provided by train travel. We could have taken the train to Interlaken, gotten off the train, and experienced the area and seen those same vistas, just perhaps from a different vantage point.

A major factor regarding convenience (or the lack therof) is regarding food and bathrooms. I didn’t think of this in my earlier post, but this is a major consideration in my opinion. During our drive from Zurich to Interlaken, I needed to use the bathroom. I had difficulty even finding a place to stop; it reminded me of driving through one of our national parks. When I finally did find a bathroom, it was at a small train station which had no attendant, and the doorknob required a Swiss franc coin to turn the knob and enter the bathroom. Unfortunately, I had plenty of bills, but not coins, and this train station was so small that there were no attendants, so I could not get change for my bill(s). We had to drive further down the road, where we found another similar train station (no attendant, just an outpost) which happened to have an unlocked, free bathroom. The added stress of finding a bathroom while trying to make a specific train time was not worth all the beautiful scenery we saw on our drive.

If we had been on a train making that journey from Zurich to Interlaken, we would have had a strict timetable, and would have known exactly what time we would arrive in Interlaken. The trains are incredibly punctual. We would have had a bathroom available on board, or a bathroom available at whatever train station where we stopped/changed trains. Also, food would have been available at the station. As it was, we had gone to a Migrolino (a smaller version of Migros, one of the main grocery store chains in Switzerland) in Zurich, and ate off that food in the car. There was simply no place to get food on the road.

The joys of car travel in a country which is “made for” car travel are tremendous…but in Switzerland, all of those conveniences (of readily available bathrooms and food) are centered around the train stations, and not the roads. Trying to make it somewhere by a defined time, when driving on unfamiliar roads (therefore making accurate estimates of travel time almost impossible) caused an undue amount of stress for me, my husband, and by extension, our two children. Yes, we had an adventure, which makes for great stories now, but if I were going back to Switzerland, I would take trains. Since were traveling for several weeks through multiple countries (the others of which were more accommodating to car travel), I don’t regret the decision we made to rent a car. However, had I realized the stress we would have, I would have stayed at one hotel location in Switzerland, parked the car there, and traveled by train from that location, or packed very lightly (a carry-on and small backpack) and traveled between two “base” locations, staying a minimum of two nights per hotel to save the hassle and time waste of daily check-in and check-out.

Emie
    Participant
    19 posts
    22 August 2018 at 13:32:51 #894662

Thank you for the information regarding the luggage. We have decided to travel by train – now it’s figuring out the logistics. Is there storage at the train station in Interlaken? We plan to take the Golden Pass from Montreaux to Lucerne, and we are considering getting off the train and touring for a couple of hours in Interlaken but need a place for our luggage.

Emie
    Participant
    19 posts
    22 August 2018 at 14:06:33 #894663

I am so incredibly grateful for the detailed information you are providing. My anxiety level has been reduced quite a bit! Hopefully, we’ll avoid the landslide fiasco – my heart goes out to you and your family for taking that in stride. I laughed out loud when I started reading about the restrooms and food. Google has grown weary of my obsession with searching for the locations of every available public bathroom. My husband has had quite a fun time teasing me about it too. Knowing a bathroom is handy ranks high on my priority list! And when we get around to booking lodging, no shared bathroom is a requirement 🙂 Don’t even get me started on the food. I’ve been micromanaging that too … lol. It’s good to know you can purchase food at the station. We have decided to make the train thing work. Figuring out the logistics is a mind-boggling though. Pretty sure I’ll be asking more questions about that! Do you have suggestions f0r choosing lodging? I have read where some places are really noisy, and I want to avoid that if possible. Thanks again!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 August 2018 at 14:59:53 #894664

Hi Emie,

You’ll find luggage information and links to SBB to search for train station details (like lockers) here: http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/practical/luggage (and yes Interlaken Ost has lockers).

If you have more questions or concerns about the logistics do let us know!

The pages found here should help as well: http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain

We have detailed suggestions on accommodation options here: http://www.myswissalps.com/ac commodation

Momo
    Participant
    12 posts
    23 August 2018 at 13:32:06 #894665

Since we were traveling for several weeks, I booked an AirBnB in Zurich so we would have laundry capabilities. We went to Spain for the running of the bulls, and I booked an AirBnB there also, for the same reason. Those were my two laundry stops during the trip, plus we did laundry in Germany at the beginning and end of the trip. (We flew from the US into Germany to spend the first night with friends there, and then spent the last two nights there, before flying home.). I did the little bit of laundry we had before we left Germany at the beginning of the trip, because I wanted to be prepared for whatever might come in the next several days. I understand obsessing re. bathrooms and food; my main obsession/concern was re. laundry! Also, I was unprepared for how exhausted I would be from jet lag and the overnight flight. I probably should have obsessed about that too.

Regarding lodging, I read reviews on TripAdvisor and Hotels.com and Booking.com regarding the places we were considering. The AirBnB in Zurich was a last minute find, but it was very nice—also, very pricey. If you are late-to-the-game regarding reservations, expect to pay more, and only have premium options open (as opposed to budget options). Of the places we stayed in Switzerland, the hotel in Martigny was the most “budget” location, and it was still very nice (and frankly, I would have been willing to pay just about anything at that point, post-landslide). Even though it was the most “budget,” it was still quite expensive comparatively (when I put “hotels in Martigny Switzerland” in my search bar, it was one of the more expensive options). Given our unique circumstances, I figured a more upscale hotel would be more likely to have a desk clerk who spoke English (since we had this crazy situation which I needed to explain, in order to get rooms in the middle of the night). I was correct.

In Zermatt, the big hotels all seemed to be very nice from what I read online. Again, didn’t get to stay there, so can’t say first-hand. I chose a nice hotel, for the amenities and on-site restaurant. I have found that for us, an on-site restaurant works well in case we are exhausted and/or can’t find a restaurant off-site. This is a rule of thumb for my family, but that being said, we only ate dinner one night at any of the hotels where we stayed. We tend to “fly by the seat of our pants” regarding restaurants. I made sure we always had some food (fruit, crackers, cheese) with us. A nice sit-down dinner where we need to dress up did not fit into our family trip, so I didn’t plan for that. However, if I were on a trip with just my husband, I would have planned a day around a special venue for dinner (a restaurant with Michelin stars, e.g.).

I did read several options on AirBnB for Zermatt, but none of them seemed great. It is very important to me to get a good night’s sleep, which includes quiet and a good mattress. The mattresses at basically all the places we stayed were on platform beds (kind of like a futon—no box springs—but with a nicer, thicker mattress than a futon). These aren’t quite as comfortable as our US beds, in my humble opinion. Re. quiet/noise in a hotel, I would read all of the reviews VERY closely. Sometimes it takes reading several to find a bit of information really pertinent to your personal needs/desires. I have a friend who stayed off the historic town square of a place they were visiting in Spain, and there was a party/festival that night. They got no sleep! I would try to check regarding street festivals, etc. during the time you are there which might create exterior noise.

I don’t know if my timing is right on this, but I believe that in September or October, there are multiple regional festivals of the cows coming down from the alpine pastures, bedecked in flowers and with big cowbells. I would have loved to see that! Also, at Schinge Platte (where we tried to go, see earlier post!) they have Alphorn players daily from 11-2. Those are two of the things I really wish I could have seen/experienced. You might be there at the right time for those; just a thought.

Good luck with your planning!

Emie
    Participant
    19 posts
    24 August 2018 at 15:37:33 #894666

We have been looking at lodging. Kind of all over the place right now. I’ve looked an Airbnb, tripadvisor, etc. I’m leaning towards Airbnb but it makes me a little nervous. I’ve read a couple of reviews where people had trouble getting in contact with the owners – when they were at the front door. It will require some footwork for sure.

I’ll look into any of the festivals occurring while we are there – sounds like fun stuff! Thanks again!

Emie
    Participant
    19 posts
    24 August 2018 at 15:52:10 #894667

We have a tentative schedule for our trip in October. I am interested in some help figuring out which Rail Passes we need and any other passes we might need. We will be in Switzerland 5 full days and leave in the AM on the 6th day.

October 24 (around 9:00am) – Need transportation from AMA Waterways dock to the train station in Basel

October 24 (around 10:00am) Basel to Montreux (where we will stay 2 nights)

a. Montreux to Gruyeres

b. Chateau de Chillon

c. Vevey

d. Local transfers as needed

October 26 (around 9:00am) Montreux to Lucerne (where we will stay 3 nights)

a. Rigi

b. Pilatus

c. Local transfers as needed

October 29 (around 9:00am) Train from Lucerne to Zurich airport

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 August 2018 at 16:18:06 #894668

Hi Emie,

For 6 days of travel I’d look at the Swiss Travel Pass (8 days) or possibly the 4 day pass and then point to point tickets on the first 2 or last 2 days (whichever has cheaper travel).

http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass

If you’d like to do the math and be sure which rail pass is best, have a look at our page here: http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass

For details on how to get around by train or bus etc. use the Swiss railways timetable: http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    24 August 2018 at 19:16:30 #894669

Hi Snowman –

And, once I am established in a village in, I also use the public transport system to get to some trail heads and to explore some of the surrounding countryside. And, if I plan to indulge in any alcohol at all, I take a train or bus from one village to another, or from one city to another, and return.

Even though the USA has begun to tighten its laws on permitted blood alcohol content, it is no where near as strict as Switzerland.special restaurant.

Another reason that I use a car is that my trips tend to be two weeks or longer. There are very few publicly available laundromats in Switzerland, and the ones in tourist targets ( such as Interlaken) tend to be mobbed, and the machines are slow.

So, I carry a lot of clean clothes, including some nice ones for the occasional special restaurant. Plus my oversized hiking boots and a significant amount of photographic gear.

If I drive into a city, I do it at the beginning and end of a trip to pick up and turn in a rental car, or, to go to the Bahnhof parking lot in Luzern to leave my car when I stay in the old town. Very expensive. Easy to spend 50+ USD to park overnight in a big city.

Using both types of transportation adds cost, but give real convenience.

Slowpoke

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    24 August 2018 at 19:20:46 #894670

Hi Snowman-

Here is a quote from Emie

<<“I laughed out loud when I started reading about the restrooms and food. Google has grown weary of my obsession with searching for the locations of every available public bathroom. My husband has had quite a fun time teasing me about it too. Knowing a bathroom is handy ranks high on my priority list!”>>

Didn’t you post a link website that shows all the public toilets in Switzerland?

Slowpoke

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    25 August 2018 at 8:27:00 #894671

Hi Emie-

<<“I laughed out loud when I started reading about the restrooms and food. Google has grown weary of my obsession with searching for the locations of every available public bathroom. My husband has had quite a fun time teasing me about it too. Knowing a bathroom is handy ranks high on my priority list!”>>

A Google search came up with this:

pee.place/en/l/Switzer land

and tis:

http://www.freepee.org/Europe /Switzerland/

I know there is an “app” but don’t know what it’s called.

Major train stations have added pay toilets which are super clean, in contrast to the older free ones which were merely clean.

For example:

“McClean” in Züri. Luzern, elsewhere.

The city of Zürich has a web page in German:

http://www.stadt-zuerich.ch/gud/de/inde x/gesundheitsschutz/zu eriwc.html

By the way, you are looking for “toilets” not “restrooms” or “bathrooms.”

Slowpoke

Emie
    Participant
    19 posts
    25 August 2018 at 14:15:31 #894672

Thank you, Slowpoke, for the information on toilets. Weird subject, I know, so I appreciate your response. I can now move on to obsessing about something else!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    25 August 2018 at 16:11:40 #894673

You can obsess on having a bunch of coins in your purse or pockets.

I always have a rasidue from my last trip, but replenish by buying some small items that need change.

Also, the large train stations, especially those with a McClean have coin changers near them. The frequently are in working condition.

You’ll have a treat when you see your first Swiss paper money (although it is now printed on plastic “paper”).

At many train stations and all large ones, there are luggage carts. Many are designed to go up and down escalators (a look at te bottom of the cart lets you see the “grips” …which works great unless you pile on luggage that falls off when the cart tips to go up or down an escalator. They are free at Zürich Airport, but elsewhere, you put a 2 CHF coin in a slot to free the cart from the line of availables. Then, when you are done, you plug it back into a line…they are all over the station in Zürich main station, for example, and the coin pops back out for you.

Slowpoke

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 31 total)
  • The thread ‘Late October Switzerland ideas & car or train?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.