Planning for 5 days at Lucerne in November

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 October 2018 at 5:33:55 #818657

Hi, I am new to the forum. I would need help from yours about my planning trip for 4 adults + 6 yo child + 2 yo toddler from 13 Nov to 17 Nov 2018. Below is my planning:

13 Nov arrived Zurich Airport 0615. Plan to take the train to Zurich HB and store our luggage at the baggage room. Explore Zurich City for half day. Around 1400 take the train to Lucerne. Check in our apartment for 4 nights stay at Lucerne. Explore Lucerne city.

Can i purchase the train ticket from Zurich Airport to Lucerne OR I have to pucrhase a separate train ticket from Zurich Airport to Zurich HB and Zurich HB to Lucerne?

14 Nov Purchase the Lucerne 3 Days Winter Tell Pass. Could you advise me how to arrange the trip for 3 days with the following places to visit?

Mt. Rigi by following the ‘Majestic Round Trip’ : Boat from Lucerne to Vitzau – Cogwheel Train to Rigi Kulm – Cogwheel Train to Arth-Goldau – Train to Lucerne.

Pilatus by following ‘Golden Round Trip’: Boat from Lucerne to Alpnachstad – Cogwheel Train to Pilatus – Cable Car to Frakmuntegg – Gongola to Kriens – Bus to Lucerne Rail Station

Gotthard Panorama Express

Golden Pass Line. Lucerne to Interlaken Ost OR Zweisimmen to Montreux.

Brienzer Rothorn. What is the best way to combine this with Golden Pass Line?

Any park or playground in Lucerne that worth to visit for my kids?

Is there any late night shopping at Lucerne on Thu & Fri?

17 Nov Check out 1100 and take a train to Zurich.

Thank you for your advise. 🙂

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 October 2018 at 6:48:28 #897740

Hi Jessie Eddie and welcome to MySwissAlps!

1. As long as you buy a ticket for a train from Zurich airport to Lucerne via Zurich HB you can split up your journey that day yes (some trains go direct to Lucerne and some go via Zurich HB).
    2. You can buy your Swiss Tell Pass here: http://www.myswissalps.com/te llpasswinter/price
    3. With the Tell Pass, the Rigi and Pilatus trips are free (http://www.myswissalps.com/te llpasswinter/price) so you just need to find the train schedules to get from Lucerne to those mountains. Use the timetable here to plan it out: http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable
    4. The Gotthard Panorama Express train does not operate in November, but you can take regional trains on the same route (covered as far as Göschenen with Tell Pass Winter).
    5. The Brienzer Rothorn is also closed for the winter. http://www.myswissalps.com/br ienzerrothorn/gettingt here
    6. There is no discount on the Golden Pass route between Interlaken – Zweisimmen – Montreux just so you are aware. http://www.myswissalps.com/te llpasswinter/validity
    7. Shopping in most towns tend to close by 18:00, some larger shops might be 20:00.
    Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 October 2018 at 7:04:52 #897741

Thank you Lucas for the reply.

Since our based would be in Lucerne from 13 to 17 November, could you suggest anything that we can explore during this period? Possible to visit Mt Titlis as I read through that the cable car is under maintenance.

Arno
    15483 posts
    11 October 2018 at 11:49:35 #897742

Hi Jessie,

You’ll find things to do listed at http://www.myswissalps.com/lu cerne/activities. On each activity page you can check the Route tab for how to get there and opening hours/dates.

The Mount Titlis cableway will only operate on November 17 during your stay. Hopefully you can fit that in, if the weather cooperates.

Roseclar
    Participant
    18 posts
    11 October 2018 at 22:14:45 #897743

Hello Jessie,

Your children would enjoy Transport Museum in Lucerne.

Have an enjoyable time.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    13 October 2018 at 18:09:21 #897744

Hi Jessie Edie-

My impression is that you are trying to cover too much ground for such a short stay.

It is likely possible, or Lucas would have warned you.

But, please be sure to use the timetable for a reality check. Lucas gave you a link in item #3.

Not sure when the Brienzer Rothorn Bahn shuts down…probably late October.

It would be hard to fit that trip into your schedule anyway, as far as I can see.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 October 2018 at 9:39:17 #897745

Definitely a busy few days for them but not too bad if they cut out the Gotthard Panoramic Express route (panoramic trains aren’t running anyway) or Golden Pass.

Brienzer Rothorn is closed yes – point #5

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 October 2018 at 13:31:43 #897746

Thank you all for the advise. Perhaps I should reschedule my trip like this

14 Nov Mt. Rigi

15 Nov Pilatus

16 Nov Voralpen-Express

Any idea which day i can fit in Luzern-Interlaken Express? Like what you all suggested, maybe I should not be having a rush trip as bringing along my parents and kids.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 October 2018 at 6:46:24 #897747

The Luzern-Interlaken Express is only a 2 hour trip so I think you could add that in on either the 14th or 15th (before or after the mountain trip).

Maybe going to Pilatus in the morning (go up on the cable car from Kriens) and then take the cogwheel train down to Alpnachstad and then on to Interlaken, returning to Lucerne in the afternoon via the Luzern-Interlaken Express.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    15 October 2018 at 9:04:47 #897748

Hi Lucas – that makes sense to me. for any one day. I assume that the cograil is still running in mid-November?

http://www.myswissalps.com/pi latus/gettingthere

Hmmn.. looks like the 17th is the last day of operation for the season.

Perhaps Jessie would benefit from looking at a map, for example this one, while contemplating the various options. I’m not sure how the Voralpen Express got into the mix….

map.search.ch/?pos=737152,202880&z=2

Zooming in to zoom level 32 makes the train lines pop up.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 October 2018 at 16:19:04 #897749

Our page that you linked shows it is closed from the 19th of November actually, so it should be fine.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    15 October 2018 at 16:23:52 #897750

Thanks

• The thread ‘Planning for 5 days at Lucerne in November’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.