5 days 4 nights in Central Switzerland.

• Surekha
    Participant
    4 posts
    13 May 2014 at 11:04:21 #806359

Hello,
    I will be staying at Engelberg as soon as I arrive from Salzburg. I will stay at Engelberg during my stay as per itinerary below and will visit tourist places as mentioned below –
    11.6.14: Salzburg – Zurich – Lucern – Engelberg. I wish to travel by Swiss rail to Engelberg.
    12.6.14 – Visit Mt. Titlis and neighbouring places and back to Engelberg.
    13.6.14 – Engelberg to Luaterbrunnen and back to Engelberg.
    14.6.14 – Engelberg to Luzern Via Stans-Hergiswil.
    15.6.14 Engelberg to Paris by Swiss rail.

I will be travelling with my wife and wish to know type card most suitable to me based on itinerary mentioned above. I also wish to know any outing at any above places based on travel time consumed and well used. This may be possible if above itinerary is redesigned to make use of it at the optimum.

Thanks.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15482 posts
    14 May 2014 at 16:53:30 #839935

Hi Surekha,

I think you should look into these two rail passes:

How to decide between the two is explained here.

The day trip to Lauterbrunnen is quite long. If you’re going to spend that much time to get to the Jungfrau region, I would recommend to see a little bit more of it (unless you need the time to go hiking for example): do the round trip Interlaken – Lauterbrunnen – Wengen – Kleine Scheidegg – Grindelwald – Interlaken, and then back to Engelberg. Note that the Swiss Flexi Pass provides a 25% discount (not 50%) between Wengen and Grindelwald.

Just so you know, there is a local pass (Tell-Pass) too, but I don’t think it would be a better fit than the other two.

Surekha
    Participant
    4 posts
    14 May 2014 at 17:11:42 #839936

Hi Arno,
    Thanks for the reply and I am glad I picked Swiss Half Fare Card for our stay in Switzerland. As for Lauterbrunnen, we will not be doing hiking in the region but merely wish the nature and fall. Of course, Wengen and Kleine Schidegg is definitely part of the day tour before we return to Engelberg for the night. In this case barring journey between Wengen and Grindwald, will Half Fare Card work?
    What do you suggest fare for journey between Wengen and Grindwald and is there any other card besides Swiss Flexi Pass?
    Thanks.

Arno
    15482 posts
    14 May 2014 at 17:33:10 #839937

Hi Surekha,

You don’t need a second pass. The Swiss Half Fare Card will work just fine and will get you 50% off the fares between Wengen and Grindelwald, as well as for the rest of the trip. A link to prices in the Jungfrau region can be found on the Jungfraujoch page.

Surekha
    Participant
    4 posts
    14 May 2014 at 17:46:54 #839938

Thanks of confirming travel detail with possibility for Swiss Half Fare Card. I am much relieved to find my itinerary will work. Thanks million for your guidance and help.

Arno
    15482 posts
    14 May 2014 at 18:29:00 #839939

You’re most welcome! It would be great to hear from you in the Trip Reports section once you’re back.

Surekha
    Participant
    4 posts
    15 May 2014 at 1:34:53 #839940

Hello,

Yes, I will definitely write my report in the section you suggested for other to read and get instructed.

Regards,

Annika
    7116 posts
    29 June 2014 at 10:58:35 #839941

Hi Surekha,

How did you like Switzerland, Engelberg and traveling by Swiss rail? I hope you had a great time and we’re able to do all trips as planned. A trip report would be welcome, and it can win you a free night in a hotel!

• The thread ‘5 days 4 nights in Central Switzerland.’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.