5 days 4 nights trip from Geneva itinerary

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 June 2017 at 17:29:18 #812129

Hey there,

I’m planning on travelling at the middle of this month to Geneva with my father. We both are pretty athletic and wanted to hear about some good options for sightseeing trips. I read a lot of threads in this forum, and most of them were referring to families with enfants.

We are arriving at 9am on the 16th of June, and I was thinking about starting with a ride to Montreux, keeping it as a base town and travelling from there to other places.

We would love to see the nature and mountains of switzerland and of course maybe visiting some chocolate/cheese factories on the way. I know it’s quite a short trip, thus we’d love to maximize it to experience the nature and beauty as much as possible.

Also I read a lot of people advice to use the public transportation other than renting a car. Would that truly be faster and less to care about?

Looking forward for your answers,

Tom.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 June 2017 at 8:46:39 #864522

Hi Tom and welcome to MySwissAlps!

I agree that Montreux would be a great base for you if you want to stay in the area and not too far from Geneva. There is a wide variety of activities available from Montreux, from mountains (Rochers-de-Naye) to the chocolate train to Gruyeres (http://www.goldenpass. ch/en/goldenpass/offer /view?id=15).

A visit to the Zermatt to see the Matterhorn is a possible day trip, as is going to the Glacier 3000 (http://www.glacier3000 .ch/en).

Also, there is the Golden Pass route, where you can travel by panoramic train from Montreux as far as Luzern. Luzern is also a very popular town for people to base themselves in. This is especially true if you want to spend a lot of your time in the mountains – see activities list for Luzern here.

Yes, we definitely recommend using the train system in Switzerland – Most mountains tops are only reachable by train (and some towns too). So there would be an expense to rent the car, drive part way, park (expensive) then take a train to get to the top. Usually its much less of a hassle to just take the trains from the get go. We even have a page explaining the benefits of travel by car vs. train.

Have a look at the various Swiss railways rail passes here – the best one for you depends on where you end up staying and where you travel too.
    Once you have a rough itinerary in mind for your holiday, let us know and we can help advise you on the best rail pass – also be sure to read our page on how to choose the best rail pass, if you decide to not rent a car.

I hope that helps get your planning started!

Lucas

• The thread ‘5 days 4 nights trip from Geneva itinerary’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.