5 days Swiss adventure hut to hut early September

• holders317
    Participant
    2 posts
    24 August 2018 at 17:04:33 #818055

We have 4 1/2 days of full walking (ie excluding travel time) in early September and are hoping to do an adventurous walk, ideally staying up high, using the huts and not coming down into the towns / villages. We hope to do upto 8 hours walking a day – strenuous routes

We are 2 adventurous friends who have good fitness and reasonable mountaineering experience (but not glacier or via ferrata experience). We love the mountains and nature.

I’m seeking some guidance please on the following:

1. Itinerary advice – ideally we want to stay in mountain huts and avoid coming down into the towns and therefore the Via Alpina 1 route is not really for us. What would you advise? suggested start/finish: Murren/Meiringen to Kandersteg/Adelboden. We fly from Geneva late at night so on the final day can realistically do a full half day’s walk to reach a train station / links to one!

2. Is there a better direction to hike the route in?

3. We’re flying in/out of Geneva – as we will have only 2 train journeys, arriving and leaving from different stations, is there any way to get a discount – I’ve so far drawn a blank!

4. Our first day of full walking is a Saturday – and I see that many huts are fully booked! Is there a waiting list/ other possibilities – I don’t want to arrive after a long day and find there is no accommodation!

Many thanks for any pointers.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    24 August 2018 at 17:42:01 #894896

Hi Holders317-

Welcome to my Swiss Alps-

I can’t answer everything, but, here is a start.

<<“Our first day of full walking is a Saturday – and I see that many huts are fully booked! Is there a waiting list/ other possibilities – I don’t want to arrive after a long day and find there is no accommodation!”>>

Early September is the best time for hikes such as the one you plan.

However, everyone else hikes then , too.

Full huts are the normal state at this time of year.

Book in late Spring, early Summer.

Train..

For only two days rail passe are not usually a cost saver…unless you do a LOT of traveling by public transport.

Once you are sure of your precise route and dates, check this link:

http://www.myswissalps.com/sw issrailpasses

Have you seen this page?

http://www.schweizmobil.ch/en /wanderland/hiking-in-switzerland.html

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 August 2018 at 6:26:06 #894897

Hi holders317,

Yes, unfortunately the huts tend to be very busy in September. I wouldn’t plan to go anywhere without reservations. You’ve been to the Swiss Alpen Club website? http://www.sac-cas.ch/en.html

For only two train trips, I doubt any pass makes financial sense. If you go, and you think you you will use a few cable cars as well during your hiking trip a Swiss Half Fare Card would be a good option: http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isshalffarecard

holders317
    Participant
    2 posts
    25 August 2018 at 9:58:36 #894898

Thank you for your replies. Yes, I have been using the sac website but I can’t find how to join a waiting list for the huts- if there is one?

Also trying to firm up route and just wondering if anyone has any advice re my route query please?

Thank you

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 August 2018 at 6:04:30 #894899

Hi holders317,

I don’t have any personal experience for a hike like that. I’d be tempted to try something like the Via Alpina where you come down for overnights, as you might not be able to stay at the Huts (or wait until next year and book the huts before they sell out).

Slowpoke’s 2nd link can help you with your planning though. Also be sure to use our website’s search box on the top right. Terms like: “hut to hut hiking” or similar for longer hikes should bring you some results as well from others discussing this topic.

• The thread ‘5 days Swiss adventure hut to hut early September’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10610 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.