5 days in Interlaken what is the best pass?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 May 2016 at 16:55:00 #809244

We will be traveling from Lucerne to Interlaken. Staying 4 days in Interlaken visiting Jungfrau, taking lake tours, then taking the train to Geneva. Since we actually have 5 days of potential train/boat travel, we figure we would get a pass and pay for individual train tickets. What pass do you think is best? The 3 day STP or the flex pass? or even the 4 day? So hard to figure out the best pass. Thanks for your help!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    18 May 2016 at 17:09:13 #852251

Welcome jvoix!

Did you do the math as explained here? It’s a bit of work but really useful. The Swiss Travel Pass Flex is too expensive in most cases, but do consider the Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland and compare it to the Swiss Travel Pass.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 May 2016 at 17:13:46 #852252

Thanks Arno. I did the math and agree the Flex pass is quite expensive. I will check out the Regional Pass. as I am not totally sure what we will be doing while in Interlaken. I know the longer train trips will be Lucerne to Intelaken, then to Geneva.

Arno
    15471 posts
    18 May 2016 at 17:25:34 #852253

Great! The links I gave you provide all pass details. Let me know if anythings remains unclear.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 May 2016 at 21:57:10 #852254

I like having a 4 day pass, however, it seems like the Bernese Overland pass does not include the rails above Interlaken, which is the area we plan on spending the most time. As an alternative to the Bernese Overland pass, do you suggest we get the 3 day STP and pay for the trains individually for the 4th day?

Many thanks.

Arno
    15471 posts
    19 May 2016 at 5:53:29 #852255

Hi jvoix,

Have you downloaded the detailed map from our page? I am not sure what you mean by “the rails above Interlaken”, please elaborate on that. As far as I know nearly everything is included.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 May 2016 at 17:21:49 #852256

After seeing what is included in the Bermese Oberland pass, that seems to be the best for us. Since it doesn’t go all the way to Geneva, we will buy the ticket from Montreux to Geneva separately. As there are several trips per day, should we just buy the tickets in Montreux or should we buy them ahead of time?

Many thanks.

Annika
    7104 posts
    21 May 2016 at 7:08:12 #852257

Hi jvoix,

Good to hear that you’ve decided on the Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland. Please find purchase options here. As for the journey to Geneva: the first section to Saanen is for free with your Regional-Pass. Saanen-Montreux is discounted by 50%, Montreux-Geneva isn’t covered. So you need additional discounted tickets Saanen-Montreux and full fare tickets Montreux-Geneva. You can get them at railway stations before boarding, either from manned desks or ticketing machines. Assuming you start this trip in Interlaken, you can get both tickets there before boarding the train. That way you don’t have to spend time on it while changing trains in Montreux.

• The thread ‘5 days in Interlaken what is the best pass?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.