5 days in Switzerland early Dec: Zermatt and...?

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
Derektok
Derektok
2 posts
May 15, 2019 - 8:12 AM

Hi there - my family of 4 (2 adults and 2 kids, 11 & 12) are planning to travel to Switzerland by train from Munich on 03 Dec and intend to spend 5 days in Switzerland visiting Zermatt before heading to Italy Florence. However, i was thinking if spending 5 days in Zermatt is a bit too much.. (since we only know a little bit of basic skiing and will prefer more scenic).

Hope you can help and advice the following as this is our first time visiting Europe:

1. Should we do 2 nite in Lucerne or Interlaken and 2 nite in Zermatt instead? if so, which is the best train route for most scenic view? (from Munich - Lucerne or Interlaken - Zermatt). we are open to idea, do recommend if any :)
  2. We will be travelling mainly by train, is there a pass that cover from Munich all the way to Florence? if not, what will be the most economical way?

Regards,

Derek

Maria
Maria
806 posts
top member &
May 15, 2019 - 8:44 PM in reply to Derektok

Hi Derek and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Zermatt www.myswissalps.com/ze rmatt is a great destination however I can understand your reluctance to stay there during your entire stay in Switzerland.

I would also advise to split your journey and stay in either Lucerne www.myswissalps.com/lu cerne or Grindelwald/Wengen (instead of Interlaken as there is not much there and it's more fun to stay further up the mountain!).

Lucerne has a good variety of lake and mountain views so perhaps that would be a better choice for you than the Bernese Oberland www.myswissalps.com/be rneseoberland if you're after variety, as at that time of the year the weather in the Bernese Oberland should be similar to Zermatt.

The Eurail passes www.myswissalps.com/eu railglobalpass cover travel from Germany to Italy, however depending on your itinerary in Switzerland it often does not provide good value for money for your travel within Switzerland. We recommend you look into the Swiss Travel Pass www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass or any of the other rail passes: www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass

You should also find these links useful:

Hope this helps and do come back if you need more suggestions or clarifications!

Maria.

Derektok
Derektok
2 posts
May 17, 2019 - 2:49 AM in reply to Maria

Thanks Maria! i will go through your suggestions and information and if i need any others, i will come back to you :)

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019