5 days in Luzern in December – what to do

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 August 2017 at 16:32:50 #813018

Hi! I would like to find out if the itinerary I’ve planned is suitable for our stay in Switzerland from 10-14th Dec 2017. My family and I will be getting the Swiss pass. Seeking your advice and suggestions. Thank you in advance!

Day 1- Reach Zurich at 1.30pm. Take the train to Engelberg. Check in apartment.

Day 2- Explore Mount Titlis

Day 3- Take the train to Luzern. Begin Lake Lucerne day trip (boat, cogwheel train, cable car). Return to Engelberg.

Day 4- Take the train to Luzern. Explore Mt Riji (easy 1h trekking). Return to Engelberg.

Day 5- Check out from apartment and take the train back to return to Zurich.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 August 2017 at 4:21:35 #868649

Hi cloudcatcher, and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Most of your plans look good!

>> Day 3- Take the train to Luzern. Begin Lake Lucerne day trip (boat, cogwheel train, cable car). Return to Engelberg.

I’m not sure what you mean: is ít a trip to Pilatus? (Boat to Alpnachstad, cogwheel train to Pilatus, cable car and gondola to Kriens, bus to Luzern? )

If you do mean Pilatus, it won’t be possible, as the cogwheel train will be closed for the winter. You can go up and back by cable car from Kriens though, if the weather is suitable.

You will probably also be able to find some time to see the Chapel Bridge and stroll through the lovely old town, as well as take a boat trip on the Vierwaldstättersee (Lake Lucerne).

Boat timetables are here:

http://www.lakelucerne.ch/en/ timetable-fares/timetable/

At present, timetables are only valid up until 9 December, as a new timetable comes into operation for trains, buses, boats and cable cars on 10 December. The new timetable will be released in mid-October. In the meantime, the current December timetable up until 9 December will give you a good idea of how frequent the boat trips are at that time of year, and where they go.

It would be a good idea to plan some inclement weather options as well, as there is no point going up to mountain tops if they are in the clouds; and if the weather is too bad, cable cars will be shut down for safety reasons.

This page will give you some ideas for alternative activities:

http://www.myswissalps.com/lu cerne/activities

You might also enjoy a visit to the Christmas Markets:

1. Lozärner Wiehnachtsmärt

This one is at Franziskanerplatz in Luzern (near the river, on the same side as the railway station)

Opening hours: 11:00 – 20:00 (food stands until 21:00)

2. Lucerne Christkindlimarkt

Lower ground floor of Luzern railway station (quite a small market)

Opening hours: 10:00 – 21:00

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 August 2017 at 5:04:27 #868650

Thank you Alpenrose.

Oh I didn’t know that cogwheel rides are closed in Dec! Fyi, I saw this Classic Round trip below that is covered by Swiss Pass and I thought of putting it in our itinerary.

‘Classic Round Trip’

Take the boat from Lucerne to Vitznau. Change to the cogwheel train to Rigi Kulm. Then take the cogwheel train down to Rigi Kaltbad and change to the cable car down to Weggis. Walk over to the boat (15 minutes) to return to Lucerne.

I guess I will have to skip this activity then. 🙂

By the way, is it a good idea to make a trip down to Lauterbrunnen- just to take a walk at the lovely, quaint village and view the Staubbach falls from below? Is it worth the trip?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 August 2017 at 5:28:56 #868651

Hi Alpenrose,

Just to add- yes, you are right abt the Chapel Bridge. Perhaps, after our trekking at Mt. Rigi, I think we could fit that boat trip on the Vierwaldstättersee (Lake Lucerne) and have the Chapel Bridge stroll through the town in the evening.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 August 2017 at 5:50:09 #868652

Hi Cloudcatcher,

If you have the time it is a nice trip to visit Lauterbrunnen and the nearby villages (Mürren or Wengen). It is a few hours from Luzern though so plan on making it a full day trip.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 August 2017 at 5:59:50 #868653

Hello Lucas, thank you for your reply. Abt the trip to Lauterbrunnen, since it will happen between 10-14 Dec, are there any matters that I should be concern of with respect to safety, weather and accessiblity to view the waterfalls? I understand that there is a bus that can take us there from Lauterbrunnen station? That would be helpful for I am travelling with my parents and young kids. How long would the journey take?

Thank you in advance for your valuable input! 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 August 2017 at 6:22:51 #868654

>> Oh I didn’t know that cogwheel rides are closed in Dec!

Closing dates for mountain transport vary. There are both seasonal closures (for the winter) and maintenance closures (for several weeks usually, between the winter-sport and hiking seasons). The Pilatus cogwheel will not be operating when you are there, as it closes for the winter. You didn’t say which cogwheel you meant, so I had to take a guess that it might be the one to Pilatus.

>> Fyi, I saw this Classic Round trip below that is covered by Swiss Pass and I thought of putting it in our itinerary.

You can do the Classic Round Trip to the Rigi – all sectors of that trip will be operating when you are there.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 August 2017 at 9:58:28 #868655

Ah the Trummelbach Falls close in November unfortunately, so that won’t be an option for you.

Lucas

• The thread ‘5 days in Luzern in December – what to do’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.