5 days in Zurich, Lucerne, Interlaken

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 November 2019 at 17:07:55 #824511

Hi,

I’ll be visiting Switzerland from London. It’s our first trip. Here is my itinerary:

1. Travelling day I will stay in Zurich. My husband and I are planning to start.
    2. Day a.m visit Zurich and in the evening take a bus/train to Lucerne. stay a night there.
    3. Day travel to Interlaken by bus short stop over and visit the town and leave before dark to Grindelwald. Stay there a night.
    4. day, catch the early morning train to Jungfraujoch, Top of Europe and back down a night in Lauterbrunnen.
    5. day travel back to Zurich and of to London.

So here I would seek for advice and hope for good opinion on my itinerary and should I get the Swiss Travel Pass or shall I just travel on online tickets purchase/or buy the day im travelling. Is the STP pass worth for my trip? we are 2 people.

TQ so much for ur opinions in advance.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

CabinJon
    Participant
    280 posts
    21 November 2019 at 19:18:06 #925459

I’m not sure when you’re traveling, so that may affect some of your planned activities. We were in all those places last month, and enjoyed it.

Day 1 & 2 – We spent the first two days in Zurich to adapt after a very long travel day, but that shouldn’t be a problem for you coming from London. The second morning we spent wandering around Old Town Zurich, which was quite enjoyable, then caught a train to Lucerne.

Day 2 – Take the train from Zurich to Lucerne; no reason to take a bus and I’m not sure they run one on that route anyway.

Day 3 – Take the train from Lucerne to Interlaken, not sure they run a bus on that route either, then the train on to Grindelwald.

Day 4 – Check the weather before buying a ticket for the Jungfraujoch. No sense going up if you’re going to be in clouds, rain, snow, etc.

Day 5 – Lauterbrunnen to the Zurich airport takes just under 3 hours. That’s OK, unless you have a very early morning flight.

You would have to calculate the STP cost vs. individual ticket costs, and the Moderators are sure to provide you with links & spreadsheets to do that. It may be pretty even. We used an STP when we were there, but we traveled a lot during our trip, so it was worth it. The STP only gives you a 25% discount for the Grindelwald to Kleine Scheidegg to Lauterbrunnen portion of the trip; I’m not sure if it also gives you a 25% discount on the Jungfraujoch train itself. If you do get a STP, I’d suggest one for only 4 days, starting on Day 2. The train cost from the Zurich airport to the city is minimal; save the STP use for longer haul & more expensive trips.

Have a great time, whenever you go!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    22 November 2019 at 0:47:38 #925460

Hi Veenjit –

Welcome to My Swiss Alps.

The availability of many tourist attractions in Switzerland is highly dependent on time of year, which interacts with altitude.

Forum guidelines ask that posters provide travel dates.

<<“Please provide enough information. For example: the question “What can I do in 7 days in Interlaken?” can be answered much better if you include some information about your interests, preferences, when you plan to travel, age of the travelers, etc.;”>>

When?

Also, since English is not a native language for many forum posters –

<<“Avoid “text talk”. Please write “are you” instead of “r u”, for example;”>>

TQ so much for ur opinions in advance. ????

What does TQ mean?

Slowpoke

pvonk
    Participant
    378 posts
    22 November 2019 at 2:07:12 #925461

Four nights, four towns for overnight stays. Are you sure you want to pack and unpack that often?

Anna
    6274 posts
    22 November 2019 at 6:03:45 #925462

Hi Veenjit,

CabinJon made a lot of good recommendations. Travelling with trains and other public transportation is very convenient in Switzerland and getting a rail pass is practical. Based on your itinerary, a Swiss Half Fare card or a 4-day Swiss Travel Pass combined with the Saver Day Pass would be ideal.

The following guide outlines a few steps to calculate the cost of your journey and to choose the best rail pass for your trip. Links to the various rail passes are also listed below.

Regards,

Anna

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 November 2019 at 3:30:09 #925463

Wonderful help n suggestions. Tq you sooo much folks..

• The thread ‘5 days in Zurich, Lucerne, Interlaken’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.