5 days in Switzerland – which 2 base cities?

• sanjeev
    Participant
    48 posts
    9 August 2018 at 14:11:49 #817778

I am regular follower of these forums. After reading, I have thought of Wengen & Lucerne as 2 bases. As this is the first visit, we would be visiting regular touristy places.

We (4 couples in early 50s) will be in Switzerland for 5 days – coming from Florence on Sep 21. Out of total 5 days, I was thinking 2 nights (or 3) at Lucerne and other 2 nights at Wengen (or Lauterbrunnen). After Switzerland, we will be going to Paris (3 days).

Are these 2 base ok, Lucerne and Wengen. And which should be plan first, considering coming in from Florence and departing to Paris.

Florence to Wengen / Lucerne : Should I buy train ticket now? Which site for best rate? Thinking of buying The Half-Fare SwissPass – 4 days., can I get discount on the Swiss side travel with this pass?

We want to plan for atleast one scenic train (Golden Pass or any other) . Where should that fit in? and need we book the seats in advance? We are 8 adults and visit time is Sept 3rd week.

Like to plan for Chillon Castle. But it looks far from my bases . Can we plan any castle nearby? Or can plan on any scenic train….to….

Please let me know the best site for good price train ticket from Wengen or Lucerne to Paris.

Any discount if we buy the 4 days Half-Fare SwissPass now, while in India for better price? or we can buy when we reach there.

Need I book / buy any Mountain tickets or Cable Car tickets, Scenic Train Seat reservations, in advance? As we are 8 adults and visiting in Sept 3rd week, I am presuming we might not get seats.

Sorry, so many Qs.

And thanks for your replies and time given.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 August 2018 at 7:06:04 #893810

Hi Sanjeev,

For information and online retailers for the Italy and France train trips look here:

Do note that the Swiss Half Fare Card is valid for 30 days. The Swiss Travel Pass can be bought for 4 days – which pass are you speaking of?

I think Wengen and Lucerne are good bases for your trip. I’d go to Wengen first, then Lucerne.
    For hotel suggestions look here:

From Wengen you could train to Interlaken Ost and follow the Golden Pass route to Montreux (and visit Chillon castle there). No reservations needed in late September but you can for 8 people to ensure you are all sitting together. http://www.myswissalps.com/go ldenpass/packages

When moving to Lucerne, be sure to travel direct from Interlaken Ost, you’ll finish the last section of the Golden Pass route (which runs between Lucerne and Montreux, with changes in Interlaken and Zweisimmen) http://www.myswissalps.com/go ldenpass/gettingthere

sanjeev
    Participant
    48 posts
    11 August 2018 at 1:47:39 #893811

Thanks a lot Lucas for your reply / suggestions.

For first time visitors, doing regular touristy things, I think I should better buy Swiss Travel Pass for 4 days, though I need to do the math, can be done only after I plan each day. Buying for 8 pax, looks so expensive, CHF 270 each. Shell I buy it in India, or when I arrive there, first base Wengen.

For one more extra day, If I require travelling, then I need to buy Saver Day Pass.

With STP, I can see that I am getting Jungfraujoch with only 25% discount. Some members of the group are very much keen ONLY for Top of Europe – Jungfraujoch. Any other pass, or Top Up , we consider to get better value for Jungfraujoch. Hope September 3rd week is good time to visit.

OR: Do you suggest any other mountain, which gives me equal or similar views / experience and better value on the STP.

I am finding the rates on Florence / Milan to Wengen, quite expensive. If I have a STP, can I get discount on the Switzerland part of the journey? And when I leave for Paris.

Thanks again.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 August 2018 at 8:48:41 #893812

Hi Sanjeev,

Even though the Swiss Travel Pass only gives 25% off the trip to Jungfraujoch from Wengen, the discounts it gives on your other travel in the country may make it the cheapest option over all.

IE the Jungfrau Travel Pass gives you a better discount but then travel outside of Wengen is not covered at all. http://www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfrautravelpass/valid ity

So you’ll need to do the math for the whole trip to know which rail pass is best overall. http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass

I think the views are also very good for Schilthorn (near Jungfraujoch) and is 100% free with the Swiss Travel Pass. http://www.myswissalps.com/sc hilthorn

If you have the Swiss Travel Pass on the day you leave or enter the country then you only need to buy a ticket to Paris or Florence/Milan from the Swiss border yes. For example, from Basel to Paris only.

It would be easier and more economical to buy the Swiss Travel Pass online so that way you have it printed and on you when you arrive in Switzerland and can use it for the trains right away (and not wait in a rail office). http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/price

sanjeev
    Participant
    48 posts
    14 August 2018 at 3:05:31 #893813

Thanks a lot Lucas

I hope you can recommend me on the itinerary

September 21 – Start from Milan, reach Wengen by 11.30 am. Visit Trummelbach, Mürren , Schilthorn. Night stay Wengen

• If I have a STP. from which town, I can get get discounts or Free travel to reach Wengen

September 22. Mount Jungfrau + Grindelwald and Trummelbach (if not visited on Sept 21). Night stay Wengen

September 23. Keep Luggage at Interlaken. Visit Broc-Gruyeres-Montreux:. with Gold Pass Line – From Zweismmen to Montreux. Night stay Lucerne.

• Can I send luggage to my hotel / BnB at Lucerne or Keep at Interlaken. Which would be cheaper?
    • Do I need to book the seats for the Golden Pass, considering we are 8 adults. Is Sept 3rd week a rush time?

September 24. Mt.Pilatus.(or maybe Titlis) and Luzern in the Evening. Night stay Lucerne.

• Read here in these forum. If you go to Titlis, don’t go to the Jungfraujoch, or Vice Versa. True?

September 25. Mt Rigi. Night stay Lucerne.

• Any other places , we can combine with Mt Rigi?

September 25. Morning depart to Paris Via Basel.

Hotels / BnB, shortlisted , but not yet booked.

With 5 Full days, I am ‘little’ confused with buying a Pass. The STP is for 4 days, and If I buy tickets for 5th day, it might become expensive. Or shell I buy Swiss Travel Pass Flex? or Jungfrau Travel Pass – 3 days Or will my best bet be Swiss Half Fare Card.

I know I need to do my math, but will be easier with your suggestions. I hope to have your suggestion

Thanks again.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 August 2018 at 16:12:01 #893814

I’d look at the 4 day Swiss Travel Pass and point to point tickets on the 5th day (Lucerne to Paris). Buying far enough ahead will keep the price low. http://www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/france/pric e

• The thread ‘5 days in Switzerland – which 2 base cities?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.