5 Days Switzerland (6 -10 Apr 2020)

• Shamanz
    Participant
    9 posts
    26 October 2019 at 10:54:24 #824308

Hello there!

Firstly, thank you to the experts at “My Swiss Alps” for this excellent one-stop website and other contributors for helping travellers like me make our Swiss travel plans so much easier.

My husband and I will be visiting Switzerland from 6th to 10th April 2020. As we will be flying into and out from Zurich, we plan to travel down to the furthest place in our itinerary upon arrival and travel up to Zurich. We will be getting the 4-Day Swiss Travel Pass for use from Day 1 to Day 4.

Please help to review our draft itinerary. I have not yet come up with alternative plans in case one or all trips to the mountains have to be cancelled due to bad weather. Your comments and response to our plans, questions and shortlisted hotels will be much appreciated.

=========================================

Day 1- 6 Apr

Arrive Zurich Airport at 12:20PM from Manchester, UK

Train ride from Zurich Airport to Zermatt

(Should we take the train from Zurich Airport to Visp and then change to the partial Glacier Express route from Visp to Zermatt?)

Check-in hotel (Hotel Bahnhoff) and explore Zermatt

Day 2- 7 Apr

Very early train ride to Gornergrat. Alight halfway at Rotenboden station, walk to Riffelsee Lake to catch reflection of Matterhorn peak at sunrise. Continue train ride to Gornergrat for more views of the Matterhorn. Return to Zermatt before noon.

Check-out hotel.

Train ride from Zermatt to Interlaken

Check-in hotel (Hotel Bellevue) and explore Interlaken

Day 3- 8 Apr

Check-out hotel

Morning trip to Jungfraujoch and return to Interlaken in the afternoon

Train Ride from Interlaken OST to Luzern

(Is the train journey from Interlaken to Luzern part of the Golden Pass route?)

Check-in hotel (Alstadt Hotel Krone) and explore Luzern

Day 4- 9 Apr

Check-out hotel

Morning trip to Rigi, Titlis or another mountain and return to Luzern in the afternoon

(Which mountain should we go for a different experience from Matterhorn and Jungfraujoch?)

Train ride from Luzern to Zurich HB

Check-in hotel (Hotel Montana) and explore Zurich

Day 5- 10 Apr

Check-out hotel

Train ride from Zurich HB to Rhine Falls.

Visit Rhine Falls and return to Zurich by noon

Last minute shopping in Zurich

Train ride from Zurich HB to Zurich Airport

Arrive at Zurich Airport by 4:30PM

Depart from Zurich Airport at 6:45PM to Manchester, UK

===========================================

Thank you!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6279 posts
    26 October 2019 at 13:02:14 #924236

Hi Shamanz,

Welcome to MySwissAlps! Glad to know this website has been helpful for you.

Your itinerary seems well researched, it’s definitely do-able. But I think doing Rigi and Titlis in one day may be pushing it a little. The weather could be tricky too in April, you could get anything from a light sprinkle to heavy downpour to snow even. So pack enough layers and you’ll just have to check the weather and webcams before you travel up the mountains.

Moving on to your questions:

1. Should we take the train from Zurich Airport to Visp and then change to the partial Glacier Express route from Visp to Zermatt?
    Unfortunately the Glacier Express only runs once daily (each direction) in April. It reverts to summer operation, running 3 times daily in May. So I don’t think this would fit into your plan. The most practical and fastest way to get to Zermatt from the airport is by taking the regular trains.
    For more information about the Glacier Express: http://www.myswissalps.com/gl acierexpress

2. Is the train journey from Interlaken to Luzern part of the Golden Pass route?
    Yes. Look for the Luzern-Interlaken Express trains. For more information about the Golden Pass route: http://www.myswissalps.com/go ldenpass/gettingthere

3. Which mountain should we go for a different experience from Matterhorn and Jungfraujoch?
    Between Rigi and Titlis, I would pick Rigi because you get a different vista and all transportation is covered when you have the Swiss Travel Pass. But there are more things to do up in Titlis so it’s all down to personal preference really 🙂

Be sure to install the SBB app on your smart device for quick access to the timetables and check the validity of your Swiss Travel Pass

Below are a few more useful links for your trip:

Best regards,

Anna

Mark
    Participant
    794 posts
    27 October 2019 at 4:08:52 #924237

I would not count on being able to walk from Rotenboden to Riffelsee in early April as at that altitude it will likely still be snow covered. Mark

Shamanz
    Participant
    9 posts
    27 October 2019 at 4:59:39 #924238

Hi Anna,

Thanks for your comments and useful links. We plan to do only one mountain on Day 4 but are torn between Rigi and Titlis precisely because they both have different things to offer. It’s just that we may not be able make a return trip from Singapore to Switzerland, so we wanted to hear from other travellers who have done both mountains..hopefully it will help us make the “right” choice. Appreciate the great tips and advice!

Regards,

Sharifah

Shamanz
    Participant
    9 posts
    27 October 2019 at 5:22:21 #924239

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your comments. If so, that will be quite sad as I was really looking forward to pre-dawn walk to the lake and waiting for the spectacular view. Do you know if there is any other place we can go to view reflection of the Matterhorn peak in the lake? Thanks!

Regards,

Sharifah

Mark
    Participant
    794 posts
    27 October 2019 at 13:59:27 #924240

Hi Sharifah

I’m not sure which lakes would be accessible in April. Perhaps Schwarzee may be close enough to the top of the cable car to be accessible. I doubt Grunsee or Moosjisee would be accessible. Although no lake, Gornergrat summit is a dawn viewing favorite. Personally I think the best view of the Matterhorn is from Riffelalp resort at the Riffelalp train stop (3rd stop I believe). My thumbnail photo was taken at sunrise from my room’s balcony at the resort. It is noticeably closer to the Matterhorn than Gornergrat summit. Mark

• The thread ‘5 Days Switzerland (6 -10 Apr 2020)’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.