5 night trip to Switzerland

• Sarah_beaini
    Participant
    2 posts
    4 July 2022 at 4:55:29 #827681

Hello all ,

I’m planning a 5 night trip to Switzerland with my family ( husband and I with our daughters who are in their 20s)

we’re traveling from Spain and have no idea which city to have as our base ! We don’t want to hire a car so can you suggest a trip where we can enjoy the best of Switzerland ? My family haven’t been to Switzerland where as I have been to Geneva for a conference .

thank you for your recommendations 🙂

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Keelewinter
    Participant
    4 posts
    4 July 2022 at 12:50:24 #943937

I am wondering this exact same question and also coming from Spain with kids in their 20’s 🙂

we booked our 5 nights in Murren but after another person said trains stop fairly early there I’m thinking we may want to switch to Interlaken as a base so we have some nightlife choices? We all want to do hikes each day and enjoy that scenery daily but I’m rethinking now thanks to this forum. By the way we had bought a Eurail pass to get from Spain to Switzerland since we are also going to Paris after Switzerland but could not book a reservation to get from Spain there were none left and the itineraries without reservations made our trip to Switzerland turn into two days so we booked a one way flight from Spain in case that helps. Looking forward to the answers from your question here!

pvonk
    Participant
    378 posts
    4 July 2022 at 13:53:58 #943938

“The best of Switzerland”. Hard to say without input about your preferences. Do you want nightlife? Hikes or just traveling on trains? Do museums or walk about “old town” or view alps…? Solitude or among throngs of vacationers? Quaint villages or large commercial cities? Boat rides?

I suggest you study the links above for “What to do” and “where to go” for starters. And read through user comments in the forum. I pick up lots of ideas about places I haven’t been to that sound interesting to me.

Sarah_beaini
    Participant
    2 posts
    4 July 2022 at 14:55:01 #943939

My husband and I are into hikes and enjoying scenery ! The girls would love to have some night life added to the above !

you’re right though ! I should do some forum reading because currently my mind is scattered all over Switzerland 🙂

Anna
    6274 posts
    4 July 2022 at 17:30:50 #943940

Hi Sarah beaini,

Welcome to MySwissAlps.

It’s difficult to suggest a base for you without knowing exactly what you are interested to see and do in Switzerland. If you enjoy nature and mountain top views, you might like to base yourself in the Bernese Oberland or Jungfrau region. If you prefer sightseeing and culture perhaps you might prefer staying in towns or cities such as Montreux, Bern or Zurich. Or if you prefer to be near the lakes, then maybe Interlaken or Lucerne.

To help you get started, be sure to read this for information about choosing centrally located towns in the Swiss Alps: http://www.myswissalps.com/centraltownsalps

Regards,

Anna

• The thread ‘5 night trip to Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.