5 nights trip to Jungfrau region (Oct 2020)

• Anees84
    Participant
    15 posts
    24 September 2020 at 7:45:34 #825699

Hello Myswissalps members,

We are 5 adults and 1 kid from Hamburg, Germany planned 3 days/4 nights trip during April 2020, but unfortunately it has been cancelled due to Covid-19.

Again we are planning to visit the Jungfrau region for 4 Days/5 nights between Oct 10 – 16 2020. We have booked a holiday home/apartment at Lauterbrunnen and planning to travel by train Hamburg –> Interlaken ost and return via the same route.

Last time Mr.rockoyster had suggested us the great Itinerary and the following has been planned based on his inputs.

Oct 10 – Start from Hamburg –> Reach Interlaken/Lauterbrunnen by evening – Rest day

Oct 11 – Day trip to Zermatt — Visit Gornergrat & back to Lauterbrunnen

Oct 12 – Visit Schilthorn/Murren/Trummelbach Falls

Oct 13 – visit Jungfraujoch & other places around it ( I request good suggestions from members)

Oct 14 – visit Grindelwald/First & Bachalpsee ( I request good suggestions from members)

Oct 15 – Return train to Hamburg

Swiss Travel Pass/Half Fare Card – According to our itinerary we are planning to buy “Half fare Card”. I would like to receive your recommendation on this.

Jungfrau Travel Pass – Unlimited for 3 days included one trip to Jungfraujoch top . It costs 149 Chf -Adults & 30 CHF – Kids (6-15). I think it would be best option to buy this pass along with Half Fare Card.

Queries Related to use of Half fare card:

After I buy Half fare card Online (SBB app) using my login credentials. I would like to know that, whenever I buy a online ticket the fare will be automatically reduced by half ? Is it works like that?

For example : Lauterbrunnen –> Zermatt, the SBB app shows – 45.30 CHF for single Journey, CHF 75 Includluding the Return Trip.

In this case, if I buy this ticket via SBB app with my Half fare card, whether it will be reduced to 45.30/2 = 22.65 chf or by default it shows the discounted fare ?

Also I would like to know that, is there any conversion/additional charge if i use the credit card issued by a German bank ?

Looking forward to your valuable tips & suggestions.

Have a Nice Day

Thank You

Mohammed Anees

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 September 2020 at 9:31:36 #934327

Hi Mohammed Anees,

I am sorry, you had to cancel your trip and I hope this time you can make it 🙂

Regarding your pass options, did you use our calculation spreadsheet at http://www.myswissalps.com/train/ticketspasses/practical/chooserailpass? It helps to compare your pass and ticket options.

The SBB timetable shows half-fare prices by default, so yes, if you have a Swiss Half Fare Card, you can get the shown ticket. But be careful, there are 2 types of passes which give a half-price discount. One of them is more for residents, the other one is more for tourists. So make sure not to buy the yearly version of it.

I recommend getting your Swiss Half Fare Card here: http://www.myswissalps.com/swisshalffarecard/price.

You can get your Jungfrau Travel Pass here: http://www.myswissalps.com/jungfrautravelpass/price.

Regarding your German Bank, I recommend asking them whether they charge anything using your credit card abroad and online. As far as I know, SBB won’t charge you anything.

My personal tip: when I am traveling I am always using my Revolut debit card. It is very useful and free to get. Have a look at it.

I hope this answers your questions, please let me know in case not. 🙂

Ildiko

More information about the Jungfrau region: http://www.myswissalps.com/jungfrauregion

Anees84
    Participant
    15 posts
    24 September 2020 at 10:40:11 #934328

Hello Ildiko,

Thank you very much for the information.

I have one more question,

For example with a Half fare card holder if i travel along with my kid, theSBB app shows that i need to buy the ticket for my kid too.

Is that correct. I hope for kids only the Half fare card is free, provided if they are travelling with a parent, but need to buy the tickets.

Sorry for complicating

regards

Aneed

Arno
    15478 posts
    24 September 2020 at 12:34:15 #934329

Hi Aneed,

Please note that the SBB app is geared to Swiss travelers, not to tourists. That may explain some of the confusion. You do not need to buy the Swiss Half Fare Card IN the app. Please buy it from one of the websites listed at http://www.myswissalps.com/swisshalffarecard/price, as suggested by Ildiko. If you prefer to buy from SBB, then their tourist shop is the best place: https://shop.switzerlandtravelcentre.com/#/en/home. You need the Swiss Half Fare Card, not the Half-Fare travelcard that might be mentioned by the app (that’s more expensive and for Swiss citizens).

You do not need tickets for the children. They travel for free with the Swiss Family Card, which you’ll get for free when buying the Swiss Half Fare Card from the mentioned website.

Enjoy the train rides!

Anees84
    Participant
    15 posts
    24 September 2020 at 12:42:46 #934330

Thanks Arno for your useful information.

Shroffchetan
    Participant
    255 posts
    25 September 2020 at 11:01:45 #934331

Your plan is very good

If you are interested in easy walk I may add the following

Oct 12 – Visit Schilthorn/Murren/Trummelbach Falls – you made walk from Murren to gimmelwald

Oct 13 – visit Jungfraujoch & other places around it ( I request good suggestions from members) – You may add walk from männlichen to kleine scheidegg

Anees84
    Participant
    15 posts
    25 September 2020 at 13:12:03 #934332

Thanks Shroffchetan, sounds interesting!

Anees84
    Participant
    15 posts
    2 October 2020 at 13:29:07 #934333

Hi Arno

Thanks again for the information. I will buy the Swiss Half fare card via the website that you’ve mentioned in your post.

When I am on the move can I buy the tickets via sbb app ?

regards

Anees

Anna
    6351 posts
    2 October 2020 at 14:01:06 #934334

Hi Anees84,

Yes, it’s much more convenient to buy the tickets on the go using the App. You can find the link to download the SBB Mobile App here, under Public Transport & Activities: http://www.myswissalps.com/aboutswitzerland/practical/websites

Regards,

Anna

Anees84
    Participant
    15 posts
    8 October 2020 at 7:42:30 #934335

Thanks Anna, I found Gornergratbahn with Halbtax/GA Ermäßigung, which means Swiss half fare card?

I will reserve the seat for Jungfraujoch trip, but the seat reservation or advance online booking is recommended for Schilthornbahn/Gornergratbahn? Or can i buy the ticket just direct at the counter/the morning on my visit?

Thanks

Anees

Shroffchetan
    Participant
    255 posts
    8 October 2020 at 9:41:53 #934336

In my May 2017 trip I have not done any reservation for these trips

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 October 2020 at 12:47:53 #934337

Hi Anees84,

Yes, Halbtax means the Swiss Half Fare Card, that is what you need.

No, there is no need to reserve your seats for or Gornergrat. Just buy your tickets at the counter on the day you are traveling. It might also happen that it is raining and you choose to skip that trip.

Ildiko

For more information:

• The thread ‘5 nights trip to Jungfrau region (Oct 2020)’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10950 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.