Zermatt 5 seenweg (5 lake hike) in early May?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 March 2019 at 21:11:07 #820248

I will be visiting Switzerland in the first week of May and I was keen on doing the 5 lake hike in Zermatt. I have a few questions:-

1. Is it feasible to do the hike in the first week of May?

2. What is the routing I would need to take (since, I read that the cable car isn’t open in May)?

3. How long would the entire trip, starting from Zermatt, take?

Thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    5 March 2019 at 23:38:55 #905735

Hi Rohitr-

Welcome to My Swiss Alps.

I don’t know the hike personally, so I looked around the web a bit.

This looks like a good site:

http://www.zermatt.ch/en/Medi a/Planning-hikes-tours/5-Seenweg

It shows a calendar which suggests the hike should be possible only in June through September. A rule of thumb for the high Alps is that mountain trails above about 2000 meters do not open up until about June 15th +/- a couple of weeks based on snow pack and temperatures. I never make plans for before June 15yth, although there are some years when I am overly cautious.

The 5 lakes trail ranges in elevation from 2578 to 2124 meters. I am quite sure that in March the trail will not be passable. The fact that the cableway is not running is a good clue.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 March 2019 at 5:34:56 #905736

Thanks a lot for your prompt response. I’ll take cognizance of what you’ve mentioned and play it by the ear when I get to Zermatt

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 March 2019 at 16:25:19 #905737

Hi Rohit,

There may be other hikes you can do at lower altitudes in Zermatt, have a look at:

On the last link you can search hikes by location and altitude, and use Slowpoke’s suggestion to determine which hikes are feasible at that time of the year.

I’ve stayed in Zermatt and hiked from the village to stops lower on the way to Gornergrat around Nov/Dec, and to Furi (cable car stop on the way to Klein Matterhorn). You could alternatively consider snowshoeing as an option as well.

Maria.

• The thread ‘Zermatt 5 seenweg (5 lake hike) in early May?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.