Swiss Half Fare Card at Grindelwald station?

Swiss Half Fare Card at Grindelwald station?

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
KScholte
KScholte
2 posts
Jun 10, 2018 - 8:58 PM

Hello,

Does anyone know whether I can purchase a 50% swiss fare card at Grindelwald station for same day travel?

Thanks

Kristian

rockoyster
rockoyster
3579 posts
expert
Jun 10, 2018 - 9:18 PM in reply to KScholte

Hello Kristian and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

If you mean the Swiss Half Fare Card (www.myswissalps.com/sw isshalffarecard) then, yes. What do you plan to do with it? Have you read “How to choose the best travel pass” (www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass)?

Lucas
Lucas
6375 posts
expert &
Jun 11, 2018 - 5:48 AM in reply to KScholte

Hi Kristian,

I find it a lot simpler to buy the Swiss Half Fare Card online and then print it at home so you have it on you ready to use as soon as you arrive in the country (I would guess your taking a train to Grindelwald as well).

If that sounds like a good idea, have a look at the online retailers here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/swisshalffarecar d/price

Last modified on Jun 11, 2018 - 5:48 AM by Lucas
KScholte
KScholte
2 posts
Jun 16, 2018 - 12:04 AM

Thanks so much for your help. We will be driving to Grindelwald and stay there for 3 days while hiking and going up/down by cable car / train. Not sure yet how many trips we plan to take so rather buy at the station if we decide we really need the card.

Best regards

Kristian

May
May
20 posts
Jun 17, 2018 - 2:31 PM

Hi,

I also couldn't decide on Swiss Half Fare Card or Swiss Travel Pass (8-day) to use for Zurich airport > Lucern 2 days > Grindelwald 4 days > Bern 2 days. Meanwhile I saw this promotion link - www.gleis7.ch/abos-billette/abos/schnuppe r-hta/

Is above link for tourists or locals?

Thank you.

Lucas
Lucas
6375 posts
expert &
Jun 17, 2018 - 2:43 PM in reply to May

Yes, I believe it is valid for tourists as well. It comes up from time to time as a special and I believe tourists have bought it before. It is geared to residents but I don't think there is anything reason they wouldn't sell it to you.

You need to print the coupon from the link on that site and bring it to an SBB office in Switzerland and they should be able to give you a 2 month half fare travelcard for 33chf.

Last modified on Jun 17, 2018 - 2:44 PM by Lucas
May
May
20 posts
Jun 20, 2018 - 12:51 AM in reply to Lucas

Lucas, thanks. SBB has replied to my query that "The offer is not applicable for the Half fare card of the Swiss Travel System." (screenshot attached)

Please login to see the attached documents
rockoyster
rockoyster
3579 posts
expert
Jun 20, 2018 - 3:54 AM in reply to May

Hello May,

I would be interested to see the question you actually asked SBB. Their answer seems a bit odd to me.

May
May
20 posts
Jun 20, 2018 - 4:03 AM in reply to rockoyster

Rockoyster,

My email to SBB as attached. Thank you.

Please login to see the attached documents
rockoyster
rockoyster
3579 posts
expert
Jun 20, 2018 - 4:14 AM in reply to rockoyster

Thanks May,

That's what I thought. You asked the wrong question. It definately doesn't cover the Swiss Half Fare Card. A better question would have been "Can I use this coupon to buy a 2 month trial Half-fare card even if I am not a Swiss resident".

May
May
20 posts
Jun 20, 2018 - 4:19 AM in reply to rockoyster

Ok, I'll email SBB again using your question. Thanks.

Lucas
Lucas
6375 posts
expert &
Jun 20, 2018 - 5:20 AM in reply to May

Yes exactly.

The Swiss Half Fare Card (tourist product) and Half Fare TravelCard (resident product) are different passes but offer similar discounts. The Half Fare Travelcard used to require a Swiss address but this rule has been loosened and therefore some tourists have (I believe) been able to take advantage of these types of discounts.

For the Half Fare Travelcard you'll also have to register on the SBB website for the SwissPass card (basically sign up for an account with SBB) a few hoops to jump through for tourists so only a few bother when these promotions come up from time to time :) Let us know how it goes for you.

Last modified on Jun 20, 2018 - 5:20 AM by Lucas
May
May
20 posts
Jun 20, 2018 - 6:33 AM in reply to Lucas

Thanks Lucas. If SBB's 2nd email reply to me is okay to buy discounted Half Fare travelcard valid for 2 months (ie I need not buy SHFC anymore), may I assume that train journey (eg Grindelwald Grund to Jungfraujoch) and cable car rides are half-price too? (ie it works the same way as SHFC)

Lucas
Lucas
6375 posts
expert &
Jun 20, 2018 - 6:35 AM in reply to May

Yes. :)

May
May
20 posts
Jun 20, 2018 - 6:36 AM in reply to Lucas

Oops! re-read your reply again... already mentiined "are different passes but offer similar discounts" 😝

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018